How do you want to win?

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is not a thread about whether you will win a real fight on the street...but HOW you want to win.

Here are some pros and cons as I see it.
Feel free to critique the following list.

1. Win by throwing to the ground...your opponent might get the wind knocked out of them, or might just reach out and grab your legs, kick your knee joint, or simply get up and attack you again.

2. Win by joint locking...your opponent might have friends waiting nearby who could easily take advantage. Two against one on the ground always wins.

3. Win by joint dislocating...cant think of a single disadvantage.

4. Win by knock out strike with hands...if your hands arent conditioned you might break knuckles.

5. Win by knock out strike with feet...slow, unbalanced, risky.

6. Win by slashing knife wound...could land you in deep legal dodo.

7. Win by stabbing knife wound...your opponent might be able to keep fighting for another 20 seconds...see above.

8. Win by gunshot wound...see above.

9. Win by blunt force weapon (such as a billy club/baton)...preferred by police, quick, accurate, almost perfect.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about the biggest one of all, walking away and seeing another day. To me if you can walk away even if they all calling you everything in the world you won the battle, that being yourself.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
What about the biggest one of all, walking away and seeing another day.
Of course thats always best, but this scenario assumes you cannot walk away without disabling your opponent.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I want to win? Any way that allows me to get home safe. :) I'm not looking for something specific, instead, I'm going to just go off of whatever happens at that moment. If I win, by walking away...which I've done many times, then so be it. If I win by knocking the person to the ground and running, so be it. If I win by using an elbow to the face, so be it.

Again, the ways are endless.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I might suggest adding the caveat about friends to every one of the scenarios. While I wouldt want to take on multiple attackers from the ground, te prospect of doing so from standing is little better.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not a thread about whether you will win a real fight on the street...but HOW you want to win.

1. Win by throwing to the ground...your opponent might get the wind knocked out of them, or might just reach out and grab your legs, kick your knee joint, or simply get up and attack you again.

2. Win by joint locking...your opponent might have friends waiting nearby who could easily take advantage. Two against one on the ground always wins.

4. Win by knock out strike with hands...if your hands arent conditioned you might break knuckles.

7. Win by stabbing knife wound...your opponent might be able to keep fighting for another 20 seconds...see above.

9. Win by blunt force weapon (such as a billy club/baton)...preferred by police, quick, accurate, almost perfect.
It all seems so presumptuous. I say take it as it comes, and deal with it at the moment.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any which way I can.

I think it would be wrong to try and do something specific, because it might not be possible and you would leave other opportunities unused. If you obsessively try to go for a lock, then it's possible you waste a good opportunity to hit a good target area.

We are also taught to always do something. If we're practising a certain form, and we accidentally step out instead of in, or we grab the wrong arm or whatever, we are encouraged to properly finish whatever we were doing and not stop halfway through the technique.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, Telfer.

This is honestly a very short sighted and naive question. That's not a bad or unusual thing, it's quite common when you start. And only by asking such questions can you start to learn what such naive questions are, as you start to recognise reality versus fantasy (which is what this is).

You can have a "game plan" such as this, and a prefered method of winning a competitive bout, and in fact, many Judoka and BJJ players do indeed focus on their prefered techniques (in Judo, your tokui waza), but in a real fight such an idea can get you killed or badly injured. As can the very idea of having a prefered way of ending things, or even the very idea of "winning" a real fight. You don't "win", you survive. Maybe the other guy does too, maybe not...

So the only real answer to your question is as others have answered. My answer? Quickly.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No battle plans survives first contact. Nobody wins a fight on the street, but I want to survive it any way I can, which means that I can't have a particular tactic in mind, because a particualr tactic requires an assumption that I'm going to be attacked in a particular way. I want to win quickly and get away even quicker.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This question is terrible without a context.

For instance, there's a drunk guy sort of stumbling into me and pushing me round, maybe a few wild punches. Do I want to stab him? No way.

There's two guys trying to stab me and no chance of me talking them down or running away. Would I try to stab them if I could? Probably.

What I want to do in a confrontation is to do the minimum to ensure my safety first and then if possible the safety of others second, and then the safety of my attacker third (that's why I'm not shooting some kid throwing punches at me, it's not necessary for mine or others safety).

I don't see why I would want to "win" in a certain way really. The thing that a lot of martial arts would teach for self defence is to look for an opportunity to get you out of harms way, whether that happens to be talking, running or punching the other guy in the face.

Your list is quite odd too. Lot of options missing, and throwing to the ground cons are unrealistic and kicking isn't slow if you are training to use your kicks.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How do you want to win?

Definition of a fair fight: I win. :)

When it comes to self-defense or the defense of another, I'll do whatever it takes to win.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And then of course, there's the obvious question of how you define a "fight:" is it a mugging, or simply a difference of opinion gone wrong?

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh there is allot missing, winning by KO from contorting a damaged joint, breaking the neck, running them over with my car (great with car jackers), repeated throat strikes, repeated groin strikes (for early UFC fans) and of course saying ninja vanish while throwing down a smoke bomb.

I'll take any way I can, its like Seasoned said you just gotta take it as you go.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But I'll throw another vote for situational awareness, avoiding high risk behavior and de-escalation of conflict as the best general strategy for "winning" a fight. The best kind of fight is the one you manage to avoid completely.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"The only way to win...is not to play." --Wargames

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I win with a brilliant smile.:uhyeah:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One more thought. I won a fight once by doing nothing (almost) a guy did a jumping front kick at me. I simply brought my knee up. The guy flew back and landed hard (on throw rug) he was done. Snot went everywhere!
Sean

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I one once by doing absolutely nothing at all but looking at the guy as he came charging at me. At about 6 feet out he stopped, looked at me, growled and then said he didn't want to fight me anyways and turned and walked away.

I also won once by side stepping and tripping the guy as he came charging by.. he hit the ground rather nicely, face first, and then he came back into the ER to be treated but this time he was much less combative

But if I can win by not fighting that is the best way IMO

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any which way I can.

I think it would be wrong to try and do something specific, because it might not be possible and you would leave other opportunities unused. If you obsessively try to go for a lock, then it's possible you waste a good opportunity to hit a good target area.
Several people have replied to this thread with a similar 'any which way I can' answer...but in choosing any particular martial art you have already limited your options and already chosen a particular way to win.

That of course assumes you do martial arts for self defense and not for sport.

Some people for example chose to become proficient at shooting handguns, and that will henceforth be their preferred method of survival.

It covers a wide range of circumstances, but if you kill someone the courts could rule it as an excessive use of force.

On the other hand, if you choose to carry no weapon, the range of 'any which way I can' becomes a lot narrower.

Latest Discussions