How do you want to win?

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you throw them correctly and well, they won't be getting up, kicking or grabbing anything. They will be whimpering and gasping for breath. If they are concious.
Depends on the throw. If you can make Aikido throws work then I agree, but Judo throws have all kinds of problems...including sacrificing the thrower's standing position.

Joint locks taken a bit further are joint dislocations. If friends approach, advise the the lockee that their approach means dislocation. By the way: in hapkido we don't have to lay on the ground to lock joints. In fact, we prefer to stay on our feet.
Agreed.

My kicks aren't slow. I am balanced when kicking (although, admitedly, that balance is certainly easier to disrupt).

Good kickers aren't taking a risk any greater than a poor puncher is. And life is full of risk.
Sure, the best kickers in the world will do fine...but on *average* kicking is slower than punching and sets you up for a leg grab and take down.

I would rather not slash someone with a knife. I'd prefer my machete or a nice katana.
Ok, but whos going to carry a machete around on the street?

Of course, if they are still coming at me, I'm pretty sure I could manage to empty a 12-round magazine, drop it, load a SECOND 12-round mag and continue applying .40 cal wounds.
Ok, but even when the cops shoot somebody they often keep right on coming with 2-3 gunshot wounds...for enough time to do serious damage.

A club is really only a force magnifier and reach extender, not an "almost perfect" solution.
A billy club or police baton is reach extender and velocity magnifier, but its density and mass are important too. Over all, much better than a fist.

I thank you zDom for the specific replies.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont think that it limits you as much as you think it does. Now, I'll be the first to say that there will always be someone bigger and badder, and our training doesn't make up Supermen and women, but it does give us an edge. Additionally, I feel that its very important to be as well rounded as possible. This is why I'm an advocate of not being stagnant but instead, looking at the vast majority of arts that're out there.

I train in Kenpo, which is my base, and longest art, followed by Arnis and BJJ. Those 3, which blend together very well, give me, what I feel, is a very well rounded base.
Agreed...its best to learn at least one striking art, one grappling art, and one weapon art.

Some systems incorporate all three.

Your list of 'any which way I can'...will be longer than 'any which way I cant'.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Depends on the throw. If you can make Aikido throws work then I agree, but Judo throws have all kinds of problems...including sacrificing the thrower's standing position.

Just as a note on Shuaijiao that you find in things like non-sport Sanshou;

A throw can be used to throw someone to the ground as hard as possible so they don't or can't get up.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed...its best to learn at least one striking art, one grappling art, and one weapon art.

Some systems incorporate all three.

You're correct...many arts do incorporate all 3. However, in many cases, the extent that its incorporated may be limited. For example...Kenpo has defenses against weapons, however, Arnis provides me with a much wider array of defenses as well as a deeper understanding of the weapons. Kenpo has takedown defenses, however, IMO, its lacking on the ground, thus why I train BJJ.

Your list of 'any which way I can'...will be longer than 'any which way I cant'.

But thats the difference...as I said earlier, I'm not concerned with listing 1001 ways to win. As I said, I'm reacting to whats happening at the moment.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

For myself, I'd rather not try to throw someone for a few reasons. 1) While I do know some, I'm no expert, thus I'd rather do something that works better for me and 2) if the throw is not set up properly, you could put yourself in a worse position.

Joint locks are certainly a great thing. :)

Sure, the best kickers in the world will do fine...but on *average* kicking is slower than punching and sets you up for a leg grab and take down.

Depending on how the kick is thrown. I dont rely on any 1 thing as a fight ender, but instead, use a series of tools to set up one-another. I could throw a kick with my front leg, and while it may not have the power of a rear leg kick, it'll give me a reaction, to which I can build from. Also, depending on how high the kick is, it may not be as easy to take them down. I'm not a fan of high kicks.

Ok, but whos going to carry a machete around on the street?

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-34267979_ITM

http://blackpoliticalthought.blogspot.com/2008/04/machete-new-weapon-of-choice-used-in-at.html

A quick internet search found those 2 links. There are many more.

Ok, but even when the cops shoot somebody they often keep right on coming with 2-3 gunshot wounds...for enough time to do serious damage.

Probably why they keep shooting. The same can be applied to empty hand techs. I'm not expecting someone to drop after 2 punches either.

A billy club or police baton is reach extender and velocity magnifier, but its density and mass are important too. Over all, much better than a fist.

Of course, any time you can pick up a tool, it'll save your hands, but then again, is the situation you're presented with, worthy of picking up that weapon? Personally, I prefer open hand strikes to hitting with a closed fist. Of course, I'm in favor of things like hammerfist strikes, forearm hits and elbows, if I'm that close. :)

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer open hand strikes to hitting with a closed fist. Of course, I'm in favor of things like hammerfist strikes, forearm hits and elbows, if I'm that close. :)
Absolutely...backfists, palm heels, and elbows are my preference.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From my personal experience you do whatever you have trained your body to do. If you have boxed for 10 years you will probably be punching. If you have wrestled all through high school and college you will try to take the nice man with a knife to the ground and most likely get stabbed. That is why it is so important, from a self defense stand point, to not only take varying martial arts but also go get truly proficient at them. I got in trouble when I was a bouncer because I punched a guy in the face when he took a swing at me. I had trained some controlling techniques but my years of tkd and muay thai took over and i just covered and through a 1-2 down the pipe.

As far as answering you question....I agree with what many have stated. you don't win you survive by ending it quickly and viciously.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I might suggest adding the caveat about friends to every one of the scenarios. While I wouldt want to take on multiple attackers from the ground, te prospect of doing so from standing is little better.

It's better if you're armed.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
From my personal experience you do whatever you have trained your body to do. If you have boxed for 10 years you will probably be punching. If you have wrestled all through high school and college you will try to take the nice man with a knife to the ground and most likely get stabbed. That is why it is so important, from a self defense stand point, to not only take varying martial arts but also go get truly proficient at them. I got in trouble when I was a bouncer because I punched a guy in the face when he took a swing at me. I had trained some controlling techniques but my years of tkd and muay thai took over and i just covered and through a 1-2 down the pipe.

As far as answering you question....I agree with what many have stated. you don't win you survive by ending it quickly and viciously.

Same difference.......

“The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail..." -Col. Jeff Cooper

Latest Discussions