How do you see yourself?

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since I was a kid I've always wanted to train in the martial arts but never had the means to do it back then. Later, as I grew up other things had priority and took precedence in my life.
It wasn't until I was an adult and had my own child when I put her in the MAs, and after watching her train for a while that I decided that I too should start. So, yeah you might say I'm merely a 21st century sportsman. In any event, it keeps me in touch with when I used to be an athlete when I was younger in school, and helps keep me in some type of shape. Now I would train even though I have no pressing reason to do so.
Finally, yeah, personally I think I'd train no matter what. As I mentioned elsewhere around here, I think I'm obsessed at this point... :idunno:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throughout history people have trained to fight for various reasons. Soldiers trained to fight in battle, guards trained to protect people or places, policemen trained to apprehend others, gladiators and Olympians would train for sporting reasons, bouncers etc. etc. Each would train for the type of thing that they encountered most often. Today, we still have those professions where certain training is needed. Some of them are the same as above, others are a bit different. As a High School teacher of behavior conduct kids, I usually end up breaking up fights between others a few times per year for instance. What I need is mostly restraint stuff, though I certainly don't limit my training to that in Kajukenbo. I want to know why people train? Is it merely for the excercise or for some other reason? Do you see yourself as a displaced warrior of old, or merely a 21st century sportsman? Would you train if you had no pressing reason to, i.e., your job or health requires it? Personally, I think I'd train no matter what.

Self defense, confidence, exercise were the primary reasons. I never really gave training in the MAs a thought, until my father suggested it. Been training ever since.:ultracool I've had many memorable and positive things come from my training, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. :)

Latest Discussions