How do you see yourself?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Throughout history people have trained to fight for various reasons. Soldiers trained to fight in battle, guards trained to protect people or places, policemen trained to apprehend others, gladiators and Olympians would train for sporting reasons, bouncers etc. etc. Each would train for the type of thing that they encountered most often. Today, we still have those professions where certain training is needed. Some of them are the same as above, others are a bit different. As a High School teacher of behavior conduct kids, I usually end up breaking up fights between others a few times per year for instance. What I need is mostly restraint stuff, though I certainly don't limit my training to that in Kajukenbo. I want to know why people train? Is it merely for the excercise or for some other reason? Do you see yourself as a displaced warrior of old, or merely a 21st century sportsman? Would you train if you had no pressing reason to, i.e., your job or health requires it? Personally, I think I'd train no matter what.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the hard physical training, the teaching and helping others, and overcoming any and all challenges that have been set in front of me.
I loved the sparring but more for the sport than the true fighters mentality since I (almost) always felt badly if I hurt someone.
I have to get very provoked to fight someone and not have many other choices but to fight. Although when I have reached that level, I have defended myself with no fear. Some mistake kindness for weakness!
Right now I enjoy providing a place that the community can come to and improve their fitness, learn self defense, learn some of the martial arts traditions, and make friends and improve their lives.
I feel proud seeing many kids that grew up with us go off to College or join the workforce or succeed in any area of their lives. We had a part to play in that.
As my daughters are starting to learn karate and become a part of our school I look forward to the years ahead and perhaps seeing Karate become special to them as it has been to me.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My original reason for training was, as a high school freshman I got the heck beat out of me by the schools juniors and seniors. Back then I was not attracted to it because of the art form, to me it was just an excellant way of fighting. As time went on I really began to enjoy all types of fighting. As I approached my thirties I started to get less involved in street fights. Many insecure people will usually have something to prove to themselves or others. A confident person has little to prove to anyone, including himself. I now train so that I will not get involved in street fighting.
Of course if and when one starts I still do enjoy it alittle. :boxing:

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why i train is just that i like martial art though i do not do any form of Kenpo or Kempo which i say excuss me, just like the way you asked the question here.

I would train regardless an do even though i have no one to train with it is just enjoyable.:idunno:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
The Martial Arts always interested me. Even as a kid I would copy the movements from the TV while watching a movie. However, to answer the question, it was always self defense that was, and still is the priority.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you see yourself as a displaced warrior of old, or merely a 21st century sportsman? Would you train if you had no pressing reason to, i.e., your job or health requires it? Personally, I think I'd train no matter what.

I probably would train with the intensity if I wasn't in LE..

My original reason for training was, as a high school freshman I got the heck beat out of me by the schools juniors and seniors

Same here..

LawDog said:
As I approached my thirties I started to get less involved in street fights. Many insecure people will usually have something to prove to themselves or others. A confident person has little to prove to anyone, including himself. I now train so that I will not get involved in street fighting.

Same here too.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was a bad teen growing up. dad left and I had a lot of anger inside.
my Mom entered me into a Shaolin kempo dojo. My teacher was really nice and took me under his wing. The changes that happened to me I now see how it put me on a different road. a better one. I now have my Own dojo and love teaching. I train everyday. I travel and go to all kinds of seminars all over the USA. I work with special needs Kids at my full time Job and I really do not think I would have if I never started in the martial arts. or had a Great Instructor to mold me. i now train under Master John Evans
and Bruce Juchnik Hanshi. In Kosho Ryu kempo, Master Evans has show me a deeper part of the Martial Arts. and I am truly thankful for his Leadership and helping me to change even more. letting go of the Ego. I can not think of ever stopping my training or teaching. I have students from 5 years of age - 76 years of age. I love passing on something that will make a difference to someone else down the road. even if they do not see it now 15 - 20 years later they will. So i see my self as a better person over all by my MOM starting me in a martial Art and for my first teacher being who he was.
My 2 cents
kosho

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train so I can protect the ones I love and to protect myslef so I can be there for the ones I love. This will never change regardless of time frame or occupation.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My original reason for training was, as a high school freshman I got the heck beat out of me by the schools juniors and seniors.

I didn't have to wait for high school :(

Back then I was not attracted to it because of the art form, to me it was just an excellant way of fighting. As time went on I really began to enjoy all types of fighting. As I approached my thirties I started to get less involved in street fights. Many insecure people will usually have something to prove to themselves or others. A confident person has little to prove to anyone, including himself. I now train so that I will not get involved in street fighting.

Ditto

Haven't had to worry about it for quite awhile, but I enjoy the rush when I think something may happen :EG:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod Note

Thread moved to General Martial Arts Talk.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to know why people train? Is it merely for the excercise or for some other reason? Do you see yourself as a displaced warrior of old, or merely a 21st century sportsman? Would you train if you had no pressing reason to, i.e., your job or health requires it? Personally, I think I'd train no matter what.

The main reason I train is so that I can defend myself and my family if I need to. Plus, I love training, which I think most of us can relate to :)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My reason for training is to protect me and my family. One of the side reassons though, and something that came up into my memory while watching a tournament not too long ago, is for self control and self knowledge. When I was a kid I had a very long but very fractious temper, I was pretty nasty when I flipped so I want to be able to control it if it ever happens again.

I also train for the mental discipline and the fitness :)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, you know how they saw nobody loves peace more than a soldier?

I am a natural-born fighter who hates to fight. ;) I very much enjoy sparring, though. A lot.

But training martial arts seems to be something that I need — body, mind and soul.

Martial art training was a missing, essential component the first half of my life. I'm glad it became part of my life, even if the training IS difficult.

I am more secure knowing I have the ability to defend my family, friends and self in more situations than Your Average Bear.

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train because:

1. I need some way to stay physically fit
2. In the event of an assault or fight, I can effectively defend myself and others
3. I like showing off
4. I DO feel like a chronically misplaced warrior of old

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I originally got involved in training because of my highschool rival. It was a friendly rivalry, for the most part. We went at it in everything - from who could dress the best and get the most girls, to who could answer the most questions in japanese language class. It was downright hilarious at times, and it was frighteningly intense at others.

Well, he was devastatingly skilled in okinawan karate. I mean, he was lights out, and you would never be able to tell by his appearance or the way he carried himself. Heh, I remember when he knocked out an entire gang of dudes back in junior high without so much as breakin a sweat.
Me? I had no martial arts training whatsoever, and I could barely walk around without bumping into something.

My rival got into it with my big brother and they were seriously about to go at it. I knew that my bro was no match for this guy even though my bro could throw hands pretty well himself. So, I wondered what would happen if they actually fought, and I realized that neither one of us would win. Let me say that this is easily the most humbling experience I have had in my life so far. I had never lost a fight to anyone outside of my own family, and here was this guy who could cripple or do worse to me with relative ease. So, after highschool and a lot of self reflection, I retired from football and got into karate.

My goal was to be able to defeat this man. I know that it sounds like a corny kung fu flick, but I was seriously determined to challenge this guy and defeat him. While I was training, that little voice in my head would say things like "you are not going to beat him looking like that" or "I could hit harder than that and I am only a voice".

A funny thing happened while I was training - I began to grow, not only as a martial artist, but as a person in whole. I learned a lot of lessons about ego and humility, and well, just being able to accept myself without having to prove that I am better than someone else. I stopped trying to pursue this man, and started trying to defeat the real rival - my own ego and insecurities.

So, my martial arts training shifted from an attempt to defeat someone, to a spiritual/cultural endeavor that brings me peace and a deeper sense of self realization. It has become an inseparable part of who I am, and I couldn't stop doing it even if I wanted to. I would say that my training is the reason that I get out of bed every morning, and it is the centerpiece of my life. I thought about quitting when I first started, because like so many others, I struggled and wondered if this was really *for* me. My "quest" kept me going, and sticking with it is the best decision that I have ever made in my life. Though I have since switched styles, I continue to train hard to this day.

If I ever see the man again, I will no doubt spar him to measure my physical skills. He was so amazing, he was inspirational, and I would love to have the honor of sparring him. Then I will buy the beer, and we can laugh about the good ole days back in highschool.:)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started training as a teenager for self defense. As time passed I realized the "Art" side of it was pretty cool and wanted to perfect it. Now I think it's just become a lifestyle, if that make's any sense. And I know now that I will never perfect it.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a bad teen growing up. dad left and I had a lot of anger inside.
my Mom entered me into a Shaolin kempo dojo. My teacher was really nice and took me under his wing. The changes that happened to me I now see how it put me on a different road. a better one. I now have my Own dojo and love teaching. I train everyday. I travel and go to all kinds of seminars all over the USA. I work with special needs Kids at my full time Job and I really do not think I would have if I never started in the martial arts. or had a Great Instructor to mold me. i now train under Master John Evans
and Bruce Juchnik Hanshi. In Kosho Ryu kempo, Master Evans has show me a deeper part of the Martial Arts. and I am truly thankful for his Leadership and helping me to change even more. letting go of the Ego. I can not think of ever stopping my training or teaching. I have students from 5 years of age - 76 years of age. I love passing on something that will make a difference to someone else down the road. even if they do not see it now 15 - 20 years later they will. So i see my self as a better person over all by my MOM starting me in a martial Art and for my first teacher being who he was.
My 2 cents
kosho
Hey Kosho - You turned a bad thing into something good and others also got to benefit from it
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions