How do you 'do' Martial Arts

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is from a letter I sent to my instructor a few weeks back. Replace "Hapkdio" with "Martial Arts" and see what it means to you.

-------------------------------------------------

Here's something that has been running through my head for a few days and I thought I would ask you

How do you do Hapkido?

OK, that makes no sense so I will explain :)

As a musician, I spend a lot of time working with my instrument on drills,
scales, practicing, learning, streatching and growing. However that is a means to an end; the end is to play, to create music. Whether recording or playing live, I take all those hours of practice and go do something with it that is fun and personally rewarding.

Most hobbies are like that.

Now Im wondering about MA in the same light. Are we spending hours and hours and weeks and months and years training for that point in time that we pray really never happens (the self-defense/real world encounter). Or is there some way to take what we learn, what we practice, what we drill and turn it into something...I don't know...something fun? Something personal?

I suppose Sparring and Forms would fit into this as 'something to do that can be a personal satisfaction to exercise the skills I've spent so much time developing'. However [the adults] really don't do forms.

So I'm wondering, a lot just for myself. How does one take the skills and
techniques; the physical and mental improvements, and translate them into
'something fun to pass the time and feel like I've accomplished something' Is it all about having a higher and stronger kick? Or can I do something more?

This is not about being bored; it's just about finding a us and an expression
for a way of life.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every persons goal is a personal thing. To return to the music analogy, some people learn an instrument simply to play better, even if they never perform infront of a crowd. They just want to be able to play.

Martial arts is kind of like that. Some people just want to get fit, others want to be able to fight (even if they never intend on doing so) others are worried about being able to defend themselves from rape, abduction, or violent assault, others want to compete in sporting events and competitions, and others use it in their day to day lives (people in law enforcement and security, for example).

That 'end goal', or the reason for the practice, is up to the individual.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Maybe NO people will agree on the answer here?...it is more a personal goal.

For myself...Pick on by bigger kids when very young. Learning the martial arts was away to FIGHT back.

Today it is for the excerise...(gain alot of confidence and wisdom). Love teaching and helping others to become a better person and an a more confident self. (to be able to fight back if needed too).

The martial arts have change my life for the better,(lot of confidence in one self)....the excercise is great for the body...

Love teaching and sharing our life experience's with the younger kids and younger adults in class.

My goal is to make those MARTIAL STUDENT'S become a better person and to improve their lives...and also to teach them skills if they ever have to fight back for their lives. Utlimate goal: For them to be HUMBLE . to grow up to be a good person that help others too. NOT to get into fighting situtions.

How do you do martial arts....? the RIGHT WAY!! .....Aloha

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Xue here I just train to Train, been doing it so long it is what I know.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The mental and physical work that one puts into the martial arts will in time transmit itself to your everyday life. Learning to push through hard sessions and to strive to better yourself in your art will someday (hopefully) give you the strength to be the best you can at whatever you are doing, and to not give up in the face of difficult situations in life.
but as a few others have said I train because I love to train

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I'm wondering, a lot just for myself. How does one take the skills and
techniques; the physical and mental improvements, and translate them into 'something fun to pass the time and feel like I've accomplished something' Is it all about having a higher and stronger kick? Or can I do something more?

How do you turn it into something that's fun? It's not ALREADY fun? Do it because you like it. I practice martial arts so that I know that I can do it. I will never be a rock star but I play my guitar because I want to know how to play guitar. The same is true, for me, with martial arts. And it helps to me more self-confident to know that if someone wants to mess with me, at least I'll have half a chance. It is a goal for me to be the best me that I can be. Martial Arts helps me, personally, do that. That is my end goal.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train because I like how I feel. There is a kind of a "high" that comes during and after a very good training session. I also like the feeling of being challenged to do more beyond whatever I did previously.

- Ceicei

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm with Xue here I just train to Train, been doing it so long it is what I know.

But Terry you are a Teacher, whether it is teaching in a school in California or teaching kids in a dojo in Texas. You are effecting lives, whether that is your ultimate goal or not that is a result.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
The reason why I started Martial Art is kind of weird. I decided to start learning after I had my daughter. I am hoping one day my daughter (now 2 years old) will see me practicing at home and will be willing to learn it. When I started taking Martial Art I had my youth in mind where there were some bullies, but today life is much worse than a couple of bullies.
I started learning Martial Art basically with the idea that one day I will be able to provide my daughter a way to defend herself.

Now? The final goal is the same, but I love the Art I practice and what I started doing mainly for my daughter now I do it for my daughter and myself.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But Terry you are a Teacher, whether it is teaching in a school in California or teaching kids in a dojo in Texas. You are effecting lives, whether that is your ultimate goal or not that is a result.

Yes and you are right but for myself I just train to train

Latest Discussions