Do you "practice" or "train"?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As defined in the dictionary:
Practice:
To do or perform habitually or customarily; make a habit of: practices courtesy in social situations. To do or perform (something) repeatedly in order to acquire or polish a skill: practice a dance step. To give lessons or repeated instructions to; drill: practiced the students in handwriting. To work at, especially as a profession: practice law.
To carry out in action; observe: practices a religion piously.
A habitual or customary action or way of doing something: makes a practice of being punctual. Repeated performance of an activity in order to learn or perfect a skill: Practice will make you a good musician.
A session of preparation or performance undertaken to acquire or polish a skill: goes to piano practice weekly; scheduled a soccer practice for Saturday.

Train:
To coach in or accustom to a mode of behavior or performance. To make proficient with specialized instruction and practice. See Synonyms at teach. To prepare physically, as with a regimen: train athletes for track-and-field competition. To cause (a plant or one's hair) to take a desired course or shape, as by manipulating

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Practice:
To do or perform habitually or customarily; make a habit of: practices courtesy in social situations. To do or perform (something) repeatedly in order to acquire or polish a skill: practice a dance step. To give lessons or repeated instructions to; drill: practiced the students in handwriting. To work at, especially as a profession: practice law.
A habitual or customary action or way of doing something: makes a practice of being punctual. Repeated performance of an activity in order to learn or perfect a skill: Practice will make you a good musician.
A session of preparation or performance undertaken to acquire or polish a skill: goes to piano practice weekly; scheduled a soccer practice for Saturday.

Train:
To coach in or accustom to a mode of behavior or performance. To make proficient with specialized instruction and practice. See Synonyms at teach. To prepare physically, as with a regimen: train athletes for track-and-field competition. To cause (a plant or one's hair) to take a desired course or shape, as by manipulating

All of the above.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Depends on my focus, right now I "practice" kenpo, and I am "training" in Kali.

Lamont

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Practice:

Train:

Interesting differentiation, Kacey. I guess according to these definitions, I mostly train. But if I had more time, I'd probably balance them equally.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Practice:

Train:

Both

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess i would say that i practice various forms and exercises and train in ba gua. Training for me means both practicing and attending class. Practicing by itself only i find to be of somewhat dubious value (at my level anyway!).

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently I practice my katas, self defense techniques, foot work, blocking, kicking and striking sets.

I train in sparring, reflex drills, and getting more fit (endurance, speed, power).

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its never enough to just pratice so you must also train. I do both for learning purposes.

Latest Discussions