Do you "practice" or "train"?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
looks like I could use some more of both! Just yesterday I was going through some drills when I realized that I was screwing up the order of my blocks. This is the first drill I ever learned!!!!

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a newbie but I do both. I practice my forms almost daily. I practice wrists grips and one-step sparring "in the air." I practice whatever I've just learned until I get it right or at least improve.

Wow, has it made a difference in my forms. My shoulders weren't square, my front stance looked like a high-wire act, and so on. I just need to get the fist right! But I'm practicing that.

I enlist my daughter to train me. She taught me preparation (arm and defensive/offensive stepping) and constantly corrects me when I'm doing something wrong or sloppy. She was a terror when I was first learning forms. She insisted on preparation when I was just trying to get the stepping right! I thought my head would explode from the mental overload. Now, I'm glad she was insistent. And I have to listen to her, don't I? :whip1: (She's 17 and I'm 49)

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always kind of viewed it as when I am in class I am training, but when I am on my own I am practicing what I was taught.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was training pretty hard for the past 18 months in anticipation of the rank test i just past.

taking this month off from training, and merely practicing.

most of the time, i both train and practice

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Training conveys to me a sense of learning new material, whereas Practice suggests maintaining or refining known skills. So I would say that first you train and then you practice.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find the distinction between the two somewhat artificial. I'm not sure what to call my regimen. All I know is that I suck a little less every day. That being said, when I was doing a lot of music, I took a lesson with a respected jazz teacher. His view of "practice" is more like a doctor who "practices" medicine, and advised me to view my musical training in the same way, since it was that level of dedication and intensity that would get me where I wanted to go. I've taken that advice with me ever since, and tried to apply it to my HEMA training. Unfortunately, since I've got a day job (I left my life as a full-time road musician a few years back), I have to temper it somewhat, but during my training, I try to approach it as if I were "practicing" in the highest sense of the term. Whether that means I'm actually "training" or "practicing" doesn't really matter to me at that point. I just do what needs to be done in order to solve whatever problem I'm trying to get through.

Best regards,

-Mark

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
By the definitions supplied it would seem to me that you cannot train unless you practice but you could potentially practice and not train.

And with that said I would have to say train... which is both.