Homeowner in Aurora shoots, injures teen robbery suspect

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Difficult situation. Homeowner may face legal consequences.

http://www.kwgn.com/news/kdvr-aurora-homeowner-shoots-robber-txt,0,1657355.story

AURORA, Colo. - A homeowner took the law into his own hands early Friday morning when he shot a thief who had broken into his truck.

At about 3:15 a.m., Aurora Police responded to a call of shots fired in the 3200 block of South Bahama Street.

The homeowner says he was awakened to see the dome light on in his truck and someone inside it.

He went outside to confront the thief and says the suspect made threatening moves toward him so he shot him in the torso.
But trouble could be building for the homeowner if the shooting is ruled unjustified.

"Anytime there is a confrontation going on, whether it's in a home or a parking lot at a shopping center, if someone feels their life is threatened, they have the right to defend themselves.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colorado is the home of the "Make My Day" law, which in the past has been interpreted to include not just the home, but the entire property.

There's pretty much always an investigation with the possibility of charges being brought, but it's rare that such cases are prosecuted.

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
you see, i just dont think i would shoot someone for breaking into my car.

I like my stereo, but it really isn't worth shooting you over.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Showing proper respect for other people's property is a good way to keep from being shot.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you see, i just dont think i would shoot someone for breaking into my car.

I like my stereo, but it really isn't worth shooting you over.
Well I would definitely agree with you there. But what if the said stereo thief is about to hurt you? I think that is the gist of it, NOT the proposed theft of a car stereo.

"Anytime there is a confrontation going on, whether it's in a home or a parking lot at a shopping center, if someone feels their life is threatened, they have the right to defend themselves.
Teen or not, definitely old enough to know the consequences of their actions AND some teens I have seen are big enough to put someone into the hospital or worse.

It's sad that it had to happen that a young man turned to crime so early in his life and formative years, but how much better would his life be if he sat in prison for assault charges or even worse... murder?
"It's just a lack of respect and a lack of regard from our youth today. They take what they want. They don't feel like they have to earn anything. Everyone feels like something is owed to them. That's absolutely not what built this country," says Wilson.
A majority of gang members are teens and they are pretty damned mean.

I'm sorry but my feelings on this run to the side of the home-owner whom the teen chose as a target and was stupid enough not to think their crime through all or at least most of the what-if's. Smash and grab was probably the only thing in his mind. Smash-grab and don't get caught. Well he got caught. Was he prepared to pay for the consequences?

Probably not.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The key to the whole thing is,
says the suspect made threatening moves toward him.
I don't care what the situations is, if an individual makes threatening advances towards me or I am at risk, I am going to do what I need to, in order to defend myself. If that means shooting someone, then I will cross that bridge when it comes.

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
The key to the whole thing is, I don't care what the situations is, if an individual makes threatening advances towards me or I am at risk, I am going to do what I need to, in order to defend myself. If that means shooting someone, then I will cross that bridge when it comes.

well yah,

i just dont know if i believe that. Of course someone would say they made threatening moves, they are trying to justify why they shot them. If i shot someone unarmed i would try to say some ******** like that too.

A lot of people with guns just have them because they live in fear . People like that are trigger happy. Or you have the other people that have guns and are looking for a reason to shoot someone. The freaks.

walk out, someones in the car, shoot.

wtf is that, seriously now. Do they have a right to? Probably. But unless the kid REALLY WAS MAKING THREATENING MOVES, which i tend to doubt then a. they are one of the people that live in fear and would shoot at noises (the kind that shoot their own family in the dark by accident) or b. one of the freaks that have this weird fascination for thinking they are in the wild west or something.

hard telling, not knowing. whatever . the kid lived anyway. Probably wont be ripping off any car stereos for a while..

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well yah,

i just dont know if i believe that. Of course someone would say they made threatening moves, they are trying to justify why they shot them. If i shot someone unarmed i would try to say some ******** like that too.

A lot of people with guns just have them because they live in fear . People like that are trigger happy. Or you have the other people that have guns and are looking for a reason to shoot someone. The freaks.
Way to give the benefit of the doubt to the criminal rather than the victim.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Colorado is the home of the "Make My Day" law, which in the past has been interpreted to include not just the home, but the entire property.

There's pretty much always an investigation with the possibility of charges being brought, but it's rare that such cases are prosecuted.

Imo there should always be an investigation, if only to prove that the shooting was indeed justified, to quell all future legal issues.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

+1 to Don.
When in doubt, go with the story of the one who was NOT engaged in criminal activities. Even if both parties are right (i.e. there was a misunderstanding of body language), the guy would not have been shot if he had not been there, stealing that radio.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I assume the man was in his house and the car was outside?

The kid didn't make threatening moves until the homeowner shoed up next to the car with a gun.

While I tend to agree with the break into my house you die stance, I have a hard time accepting this one. If I'm in my locked house and somebody is outside stealing my car, I'm in no immediate danger. Call the cops.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teen or not, definitely old enough to know the consequences of their actions AND some teens I have seen are big enough to put someone into the hospital or worse.

A majority of gang members are teens and they are pretty damned mean.

I'm sorry but my feelings on this run to the side of the home-owner whom the teen chose as a target and was stupid enough not to think their crime through all or at least most of the what-if's. Smash and grab was probably the only thing in his mind. Smash-grab and don't get caught. Well he got caught. Was he prepared to pay for the consequences?

Probably not.

Well said Caver. I have had numerouse run-ins with teen gang members in my LEO days, and most of them were armed and would not hesitate to shoot.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The kid didn't make threatening moves until the homeowner shoed up next to the car with a gun.

While I tend to agree with the break into my house you die stance, I have a hard time accepting this one. If I'm in my locked house and somebody is outside stealing my car, I'm in no immediate danger. Call the cops.
I'm sorry, why is it OK for people to steal your car?
When you need help NOW, the police are only minutes away...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not 'OK' for peole to steal your car. But is your car really worth killing somebody over?
Had the CRIMINAL in this story, acted rationally and either obeyed the man with the gun, or run like Hell from him, nobody would have been killed. Had the CRIMINAL in this story chose to work for his gains rather than steal someone else's he wouldn't be dead...

Why is stealing from your car anymore acceptable than stealing from your house? Is it OK to burglarize your house, as long as you aren't home?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, you're not home. Someone breaks in and steals your stuff. You find out who it is. Is it OK to find him and shoot him?

I have no issue with self-defence. I have no issue with deadly force. But if it's not a case of self-defence, I have an issue with peolpe being judge, jury and executioner.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not 'OK' for peole to steal your car. But is your car really worth killing somebody over?

I guess that is for each of us to decide. Still, that is not really the point of contention. The thief allegedly made threatening moves to the person holding the gun. That is why he got shot. Perhaps the thief had no other way out of the car, but then that was his problem.

Btw, Is getting raped worth killing over? After all, if you cooperate, there is almost no physical and no monetary damage. Certainly less than the value of a car, from a monetary point of view again. So if a car is not worth killing over, then getting raped isn't worth it either?

Even if the thief is 'only' stealing a car, the owner may depend on it for his livelihood. Given the almost non existent employee protections in the US, the theft of a car and failure to show up at work may get you fired. Is that enough of a threat to warrant shooting?

I don't know. Yes, my example is ridiculous, but I use it to show that ultimately, the thief (or rapist) has none other to blame than himself. We should not point fingers at the one pulling the trigger as long as he genuinely felt threatened.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

As someone who is currently suffering thru the consequences of having his car "taken" from him and having gotten ZERO assistance from the police:

I'm more of the mind to go out and say "get away from my car."

The Douchebag has choices. He can Get out, say "hey man sorry sorry, I'll just go now" and go. Or He can turn and run. Or he can make a move like he's attacking me. In which case hes gonna get ****ed up.

If having your car taken from you is no big hardship... I could sure use yours, why don't you send it down to me. Thanks!

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score

yeah, bad on me for thinking you shouldn't unload on someone without a weapon visible. common sense anyone? Did the guy even give a warning?

Hopefully he had a good enough reason to shoot. If not it is just another moron that shouldn't have a firearm who is making the rest of us look bad and putting everyone that carrys or has guns under more scrutiny.

"oh my god, but what if he had a gun"

well we all die someday. you could get hit by a bus too. stop living in so much fear you're not being rational. You aren't postive your in danger, dont friggn shoot. Might end up killing someone pulling out a pack of chewing gum or taking out their keys. Just makes the rest of us look bad.

Latest Discussions