hi, i am a totall newbie

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

I think that you might be chasing an impossible dream if you you are really intent on finding what you are describing. Any martial art that is 'martial' has strikes. Most train open hand strikes which are less likely to damage your hand than say punching to the head with a closed fist. But then all arts that utilise punching will show you how to punch safely.

The first video contained techniques that are very similar to Okinawan Goju karate. I know karate might seem totally at odds with your criteria but I have not sustained hand or joint injury in many years of training karate. On the other hand. Aikido would seem to fit much more closely with your requirements but in the much shorter time I have been studying aikido I have had multiple joint strains, particularly elbow injuries.

Another MA that might fit your criteria is Systema. A lot of the training is done soft and slow, similar in some ways to Aikido.

The best thing is to wander around your area looking at what is available to see if what you are looking for actually exists.
:asian:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd recommend going and just seeing what exists in your area and what their classes look like. I also think you're overly worried about striking - kicking or punching someone while wearing protective sparring gear really isn't that dangerous. You might jam your finger or rub your knuckle raw and be hurting for a few days, but it won't end your career.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Judo.....

No joint locks,no punching,defensive, uses a bit of oponants strength.

And generally easier to tell a quality school from a crap one.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk. Your journey of a 1000 miles starts with the first step. By joining MT it opens you up to a vast resource of information to help you in a decision to find what you are looking for. Move around the site and ask a lot of questions, good luck on your search. :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello all willingtohelpmates, i am looking for really experienced martials artists who have an idea or complete view on martial arts in common, because i need some serious help with choosing the best for me. I'm 21 y old, its a bit late to choose a martia art, on which you are going to build your life, so i need one which fits my current life "perfectly". Here are few ideas, what it must not contain: jointlocks, especially wristlocks (cause i'm an artist, and a masseur too,soo any damage to my wrist ends my carrier); punches and kicks. I want a 99% percent SOFT deffensive martial art,evading opponents attack and using its swing/momentum to counterattack, and i would like to get physical strenght. With further commenting i might be able to transfer the whole essence of the martial art im looking for.

Kendo.

Honestly, it's the only thing I can think of that comes close to your criteria… it's a weapon system, so there's no joint locks, there's no kicking or punching, while it's a sport (and therefore prefers aggression to be shown, after a fashion), the counters are dominantly evasive, as it's quicker. Being a sport, especially if you take to suburi training with much gusto, you can get some good physical strength development as well. Of course, it isn't "soft", nor overly defensive, but it's as close as you'll find.

Out of interest, where exactly are you? You've mentioned that you live "in a capitol"… what country? State or national capitol? Your posting style indicates to me that you might not be a native speaker of English… this might help us narrow down some other options for you.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
At a school with a good teacher you can learn self defense, but side note its not something you can just learn in a few classes practice can also be done at home in free time off, also if you're planning on using joint locks and other methods of the sort its important to stretch first and be limber(even if your just doing basic stretches its better than nothing)
Welcome to martial talk nice to meet you
Best of luck with your chosen style

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
Excuse me for my inability to express myself clearly for everybody, we will have it soon i guess :D. A martial art that revolves mostly around the oppoents attacks, close ranged COUNTER-attacks, as the opponent attack(kick,punch,stab,anything) crosses that personal defense line,when its close enough to grab/catch its arm/leg/any bodypart, and use his momentum to lose balance fall etc., forget anything besides the wristlocks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excuse me for my inability to express myself clearly for everybody, we will have it soon i guess :D. A martial art that revolves mostly around the oppoents attacks, close ranged COUNTER-attacks, as the opponent attack(kick,punch,stab,anything) crosses that personal defense line,when its close enough to grab/catch its arm/leg/any bodypart, and use his momentum to lose balance fall etc., forget anything besides the wristlocks.

You can't exclude anything. If you're worried about your massage stuff & art based stuff, you need to look harder at the number of traditional physicians/artsians from China/Japan/Korea/Okinawa, etc... that are also martial artists, normally of a very high degree. Or in opposite order.

If you don't like you wrist being cranked, that's one thing. But to totally discount an aspect of almost all martial arts... you can't do that & actually get a lot of responses.

Where are you located? That would help to give an idea of what's in your area.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Judo.

I have had to LMPs as students and they did just fine in Kali which has a fair amount of wrist control involved in it. Their greater concern was being whacked with a stick in the hand, but they don't seem as concerned as you do about potential damage to their hands, they just wore decent hand protection when they did it.

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
You can't exclude anything. If you're worried about your massage stuff & art based stuff, you need to look harder at the number of traditional physicians/artsians from China/Japan/Korea/Okinawa, etc... that are also martial artists, normally of a very high degree. Or in opposite order.

If you don't like you wrist being cranked, that's one thing. But to totally discount an aspect of almost all martial arts... you can't do that & actually get a lot of responses.

Where are you located? That would help to give an idea of what's in your area.

I dont know how would it help, but i'm in budapest for 8 months. And yes i do not want to get my wrist cracked on every training and so, i have very thin and weak wrists btw, but can we get over this part, there are no joint locks in karate neither and it works soo, it doesnt have to contain anything. ://

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
Judo.

I have had to LMPs as students and they did just fine in Kali which has a fair amount of wrist control involved in it. Their greater concern was being whacked with a stick in the hand, but they don't seem as concerned as you do about potential damage to their hands, they just wore decent hand protection when they did it.

thank you for your reply and time, seriously, but i do not like this concept of falling on the floor both of you.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
actually it depends on what karate you do, the karate i am in you dont begin wrist pulls or grappling until you get a little higher in rank. and even then it is still supervised to make sure nothing goes wrong. i understand what you mean, it hurts to get thrown on the ground, it hurts to get your wrist pulled, to do arm and leg conditioning and other things like that. but two things about that though
- they probably wont start you off where its too hard
- as long as you train, stretch so you can be limber, use control it should be fine(its preferred to do this with the guidance of an instructor)

best of luck choosing a style

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Pretty much any art dealing with the range and strategy you describe employs joint manipulation as part of its approach. That might be shoulder, elbow, wrist, knee or hip. You might have to weather the storm. However, any instructor of such an art will be capable of showing you techniques and principles without hurting you even semi permanently. Wrist locks are clearly not what you believe them to be.

Gnarlie

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
thank you for your reply and time, seriously, but i do not like this concept of falling on the floor both of you.
So no punches no kicks no joint locks and no falling on floor. Maybe a Dance class is better suited to your needs

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
So no punches no kicks no joint locks and no falling on floor. Maybe a Dance class is better suited to your needs

Like I said before forget anything but the wristlocks/cracks. Please read what i wrote: A martial art that revolves mostly around the oppoents attacks, close ranged COUNTER-attacks, as the opponent attack(kick,punch,stab,anything) crosses that personal defense line,when its close enough to grab/catch its arm/leg/any bodypart, and use his momentum to lose balance fall etc., forget anything besides the wristlocks.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
there are no joint locks in karate neither and it works soo, it doesnt have to contain anything. ://

I don't think Fumio Demura would agree. I was at a short seminar of his and he did use a wrist lock and a throw.

Have you thought of Savate, it is mostly kicking, or American Boxing, it is all striking with the hands.

Just about every other style out there are some joint locks in it, it is just some have more than others

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much any art dealing with the range and strategy you describe employs joint manipulation as part of its approach. That might be shoulder, elbow, wrist, knee or hip. You might have to weather the storm. However, any instructor of such an art will be capable of showing you techniques and principles without hurting you even semi permanently. Wrist locks are clearly not what you believe them to be.

Gnarlie

Looking at your answer i think you are the closest to understand what i want. and besides of the care of my wrist, i dont want to keep in touch with my opponent after the counter-strike, i dont want to hold his shoulders/arm/wrist/finger anything and chill near him.