hi, i am a totall newbie

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like I said before forget anything but the wristlocks/cracks. Please read what i wrote: A martial art that revolves mostly around the oppoents attacks, close ranged COUNTER-attacks, as the opponent attack(kick,punch,stab,anything) crosses that personal defense line,when its close enough to grab/catch its arm/leg/any bodypart, and use his momentum to lose balance fall etc., forget anything besides the wristlocks.
yep and it doesn't exist we read it and we are telling you that your too narrow minded in what you want. Judo or Aikido would be the closest to what you want but you don't like them so you cant always get what you want sometimes you get whats there

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looking at your answer i think you are the closest to understand what i want. and besides of the care of my wrist, i dont want to keep in touch with my opponent after the counter-strike, i dont want to hold his shoulders/arm/wrist/finger anything and chill near him.

Joint locks are often taught as restraint techniques, but that's not all that they are. More often they are used in a dynamic flow situation. Have a look at these elbow manipulations:

British Military Self Defence 1 to 1: http://youtu.be/2S9jHI7IVDo

Nobody gets hurt, everybody practices.

Your preconceptions may not be correct. Try one session of something, then come back to us.

Gnarlie

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
Joint locks are often taught as restraint techniques, but that's not all that they are. More often they are used in a dynamic flow situation. Have a look at these elbow manipulations:

British Military Self Defence 1 to 1: http://youtu.be/2S9jHI7IVDo

Nobody gets hurt, everybody practices.

Your preconceptions may not be correct. Try one session of something, then come back to us.

Gnarlie

My preconceptions are based on what my 3 aikidoka friends showed me with finger and wrist "manipulation" locks, and im watching youtube demonstrations/fight videos of every mentioned martial art so i can have view of its "strategy"... :-????. But take a look at this, another great example of what i seek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760JCpYJMVk, the 1st part of how to defend a kick(didnt watch it fully yet). These kind of counter-strikes, minimal contact, no seconds hold.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dont know how would it help, but i'm in budapest for 8 months. And yes i do not want to get my wrist cracked on every training and so, i have very thin and weak wrists btw, but can we get over this part, there are no joint locks in karate neither and it works soo, it doesnt have to contain anything. ://
We train joint locks all the time in karate and the ability to apply them is part of the grading requirement.

Looking at your answer i think you are the closest to understand what i want. and besides of the care of my wrist, i dont want to keep in touch with my opponent after the counter-strike, i dont want to hold his shoulders/arm/wrist/finger anything and chill near him.
Can I ask one question. Are you female?

What you are requesting is an art that will give you self defence skills. Self defence skills will involve escaping from grabs and holds and regaining your feet from the ground. Being attacked invades your personal space. You will have to be prepared for that in any martial art from which you hope to aquire SD skills.
:asian:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My preconceptions are based on what my 3 aikidoka friends showed me with finger and wrist "manipulation" locks, and im watching youtube demonstrations/fight videos of every mentioned martial art so i can have view of its "strategy"... :-????. But take a look at this, another great example of what i seek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760JCpYJMVk, the 1st part of how to defend a kick(didnt watch it fully yet). These kind of counter-strikes, minimal contact, no seconds hold.
Your video doesn't work for me.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ok, short on time, but here are the main points:

1) Your Aikidoka friends are doing you a disservice if they are hurting you with wristlocks. Go to a class and find out what it's like to learn from the beginning.

2) You can't for a realistic impression of any art from a video. Go to a class. Go to a several classes.

3) The video you have chosen is a demonstration. If those kicks had any emotional content the results would be very different. Also, without anything to end the threat, your opponent will be coming back.

Gnarlie

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
try to copy the link manualy, clicking directly on it doesnt work dunno why ://

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
there are no joint locks in karate neither and it works soo, it doesnt have to contain anything. ://

Hmm, I will have to tell Higoanna Sensei that the finger and wrist lock that he dropped me with doesn't actually exist in Karate, which will be useful because it took me about a 3 months to get the grass stains out of the white gi.

Quite frankly, you don't know what you don't know, and are artificially limiting your selections down to the point of non-existence. Good luck with that.

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, I will have to tell Higoanna Sensei that the finger and wrist lock that he dropped me with doesn't actually exist in Karate, which will be useful because it took me about a 3 months to get the grass stains out of the white gi.

Quite frankly, you don't know what you don't know, and are artificially limiting your selections down to the point of non-existence. Good luck with that.
My point was that not all martial arts are using all the techniques and they are well, so if i dont want to use wrist locks i dont have to, are you even trying to help or just flamign around?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, I will have to tell Higoanna Sensei that the finger and wrist lock that he dropped me with doesn't actually exist in Karate,.

Yes he dropped me with that finger lock once I screamed like a 12 yr old girl lol. He laughed and walked away

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So have you looked around your area? What classes are available that fit your schedule and price range. Also after8 months where are you moving and wwhat's available there?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My point was that not all martial arts are using all the techniques and they are well, so if i dont want to use wrist locks i dont have to, are you even trying to help or just flamign around?

As a reasonably experienced instructor, having students that dictate to me what they are willing to learn is a pain in my ***, particularly when it comes from a self-proclaimed newbie. Don't like it, great, don't learn it, but don't expect me to spend much time on training you vs. a student who is willing to learn the complete art. I would understand if you actually had an injury that you are protecting, but you aren't, you are literally letting your fear drive what you think is a logical decision. Much of martial arts is pushing personal boundaries and addressing those fears.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont know how would it help, but i'm in budapest for 8 months. And yes i do not want to get my wrist cracked on every training and so, i have very thin and weak wrists btw, but can we get over this part, there are no joint locks in karate neither and it works soo, it doesnt have to contain anything. ://

If you believe there are no wrist locks or the like in karate (Japanese or Okinawan), you're sadly misinformed.

So, to be blunt, you want magic, not martial arts. Unless you are willing to get out & work for it (which will take care of weak wrists, which if you're a masseuse of any skill I find that hard to buy into), that's all that will fit your requirements. I think the blinders you've put on yourself will do you far more harm than good in the next while for a search. Enjoy yourself, but don't expect much.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you were part of my class and you didn't want to train to apply wrist locks, fine. Your partner will certainly want to train wrist locks so he/she will be practising on you. ;)

Every martial art will be teaching you all of their system. That will be locks, holds, takedowns, escapes, punches, kicks etc. Your clip above was Hapkido. As was pointed out by Gnarlie, it was a demonstration. Take a look at this video, particularly the last 5 minutes to get a better picture of Hapkido.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q-6_VifUTfY
:asian:

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.
Have you heard of Ed Parkers system? Paxtial arts. It is an interesting concept and I think that he has folks all over the world now teaching it, but, it is new and not very well known. Ed's history and his families history regarding martial arts is very interesting. His art sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Good luck in your search and your training. The you tube vid is long (12 minutes or so)

http://youtu.be/t0d5qZNfzfM

Regards
Brian King

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you believe there are no wrist locks or the like in karate (Japanese or Okinawan), you're sadly misinformed.

So, to be blunt, you want magic, not martial arts. Unless you are willing to get out & work for it (which will take care of weak wrists, which if you're a masseuse of any skill I find that hard to buy into), that's all that will fit your requirements. I think the blinders you've put on yourself will do you far more harm than good in the next while for a search. Enjoy yourself, but don't expect much.

Yep the yellow bamboo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WhnvETs4F6Q

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Your video includes lots of punching, kicking, and getting thrown to the ground - all of which you have said you don't want. In addition the art being demoed (hapkido) includes lots of wristlocks, although they don't show up until later in this particular video.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
People may be getting hung up on the wristlock thing. You can certainly find arts without wristlocks. What's hard is finding one without wristlocks or kicks or punches or hitting the ground. Chris's suggestion of kendo is about the only thing that might meet your stated criteria.