Here we go again

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Instead of arguing this I would like to ask the air kickers to try one thing. Have a defender hold the large square target. Execute a sidekick and after that a skip sidkick. Have the defender push a little back as they take the shot.
Now (over mats) do a flying kick and have him push a little.
Just do this little test and then think about it.

Dave O.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Instead of arguing this I would like to ask the air kickers to try one thing. Have a defender hold the large square target. Execute a sidekick and after that a skip sidkick. Have the defender push a little back as they take the shot.
Now (over mats) do a flying kick and have him push a little.
Just do this little test and then think about it.

Dave O.

Physics dictates that an open chain movement (i.e. a kick done while both feet are off the ground) will not transfer as much force to the object it comes in contact with compared to a closed chain movement (i.e. kick done while one foot is anchored to the ground). So from a force perspective, an attack done in the air, will not generate as much force as if it were done on the ground.

The reason being resistance met upon impact is transfered into the person kicking, if one foot is on the ground, then the force is transfered to the ground and back up through the body and back to the target again (although some force will be absorbed into the ground). If the kick is done completely in the air, the resistance met upon impact is transferred into the person kicking, but has no way to transfer back to the target.

That being said, a skipping kick that both the kicking foot and the anchor foot meet the target and ground respectively, it is still a closed chain movement. Furthermore, a jumping kick, while having less power may still be effective when executed in the proper situation, but that is just my opinion.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"That being said, a skipping kick that both the kicking foot and the anchor foot meet the target and ground respectively, it is still a closed chain movement. Furthermore, a jumping kick, while having less power may still be effective when executed in the proper situation, but that is just my opinion."

Thats why I like the drill. Its a good way to feel where you lose touch with foundation. You can learn a lot. As you pointed out a skipping kick with grounding versus not is very different. A lot of kickers lose sight of this.

One day I stepped in front of a kid throwing his kick and stood with my side to him. When he kicked me and bounced off he was shocked.

We have to find ways to train that show all aspects of our techniques. Otherwise its all theory and who wants to be wrong when that formula does not pan out in real life.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally agree.. . In our dojang, that is the only way we teach skipping kicks, but I know I love fighting those who don't! Indeed everyone should attempt to test their techniques in the most realistic of situations that are safe (obviously most of us have to get up to go to work the next day).

I am not bashing the sport, but sport and reality are two different things. At one point in time, Tae Kwon Do was known as a martial art specializing in killing the Vietcong (that's how the guinness book of world records used to define our art!).