Help me choose!

Bubba Buck

White Belt
Reaction score
I've got a little experience in Bujinkan Ninjutsu and a fight class which includes Muay Thai, JJ, and Kali. I'm getting ready to start training at another dojo wich teaches BJJ, MT, and Judo all seperate classes. I have to pick two of them. The BJJ instructer said the BJJ and MT may conflict each other which is what I am interested in. He thinks I would be better off taking BJJ and Judo so that they would compliment each other. What do yall think???? I really want the MT for striking!

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got a little experience in Bujinkan Ninjutsu and a fight class which includes Muay Thai, JJ, and Kali. I'm getting ready to start training at another dojo wich teaches BJJ, MT, and Judo all seperate classes. I have to pick two of them. The BJJ instructer said the BJJ and MT may conflict each other which is what I am interested in. He thinks I would be better off taking BJJ and Judo so that they would compliment each other. What do yall think???? I really want the MT for striking!

BJJ and MT compliment each other very well and are frequently found together. I wouldn't be concerned much with a conflict.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really all depends on what you would like out of your training, remember you have the final word on what you train in

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Rook. There is striking with BJJ, but you'll have grappling and MT has plenty of various striking. They both should balance each other well.

OP
Bubba Buck

Bubba Buck

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. I've been thinking more about it and as bad as I want to do MT I figure I am likely to put more heart into it than I would Judo and therefore get more out of it. I think I will go with MT and BJJ. He did say I was welcome to try them all and see what I like. He also said I could swith later if I don't like one.

Another thing is I train on my off days with a buddy who is a Judo player so I can pick some things up from him.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, JUDO! WHY? Leaning the throws and takedowns need to be learn first before ground work. Second: Judo teaches grown work,chokes,locks and basic ground skills.

The more you do JUDO...the more you will understand how effective this martial art is and can be!

Learning to fall,roll,tumble is very important and may save your life one day. Many people tell me how they accidently fell off a roof (3 people so far)...they thank JUDO for the skills learned.

Judo..is a gentle art....but it also can be destructive to the other person!

Basic idea in JUDO...to get the other person out of balance...anytime you have someone out of balance you have the GREATER advantage!

Stand on a pipe/log when out of balance...hard to defend oneself!

Try JUDO....You will surprise? ...at first it is diffucult....in time...you will become a better Martial Artist..........Best of luck to you...Aloha

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Look, lets cut to the chase, go with the 1911 and the rest will sort it self out..................................:ultracool

OP
Bubba Buck

Bubba Buck

White Belt
Reaction score
Look, lets cut to the chase, go with the 1911 and the rest will sort it self out..................................:ultracool

Already got that covered but, when my lifes on the line I go for the Glock!:shock:
IMG_0051.jpg

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I wouldn't dream of recommending anything to you until you answered some questions for me:

What is your goal in training?
What do you want to train for?
Where do you see yourself with your training in the next year? 5 years? 10 years? 20?
Are you training for self-defense?
Are you training for fitness?
Are you training to supplement your LEO training?
Do you need certain skills for your career?
Do you want to fight as a career?
Do you want to be an amateur competitor or go pro?
Are you looking for something that's effective yet with some tradition that you can pass on to other people?
What drives your passion to do this?

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of recommending anything to you until you answered some questions for me:

Where do you see yourself with your training in the next year? 5 years? 10 years? 20?
Are you looking for something that's effective yet with some tradition that you can pass on to other people?

TRUTH !!!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's absolutely correct! Answer these first, for what we can give you is opinions on the choices you gave.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Try JUDO first...if you feel it is not your cup of tea? than I was wrong about effectiveness of the art.

Tea is good: especially green tea! Judo is like green tea...the more you try it, the more it heals the fear inside. Your confidence will grow HUGE...because you now can handle yourself when someone grabs you or is in close to you for a throw, or sweep!

The sweeps you learn is JUDO....Wow! many little ways to sweep someone and easy to learn!

Sweeping can apply to brooms too! become the janitor...learn to sweep!

PS: Only way to know about this...is visit a few classes..talk to the Sensi's...............Aloha

!

OP
Bubba Buck

Bubba Buck

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. My goals are self defense, self esteem, and the exersize is a nice bonus! The bottom line is I had a crappy childhood and have a lot of anger because of it. Training really relaxes me and makes me much more laid back and peacefull.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Try JUDO first...if you feel it is not your cup of tea? than I was wrong about effectiveness of the art.

Tea is good: especially green tea! Judo is like green tea...the more you try it, the more it heals the fear inside. Your confidence will grow HUGE...because you now can handle yourself when someone grabs you or is in close to you for a throw, or sweep!

The sweeps you learn is JUDO....Wow! many little ways to sweep someone and easy to learn!

Sweeping can apply to brooms too! become the janitor...learn to sweep!

PS: Only way to know about this...is visit a few classes..talk to the Sensi's...............Aloha

I have to say, the most impressive martial artist I have ever met personally, the scariest human being I have ever seen execute fighting techniques, was a JUDO grandmaster, Bong Yul Shin of St. Louis. (well, actually Yudo I think, but pretty much the same thing ... )

In addition to having SCARY throwing, groundfighting and choking technique, he also displayed a superhuman level of muscular endurance even though he was in his late 50s/early 60s. Simply AMAZING.

Gentle art my BUTT :) Judo is some scary, scary stuff.

Of course, not ALL Judo instructors are the same, but just thought I'd mention the above, for what its worth.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo is really good for someone shorter in stature who can be soft and circular in their movements.

But again ... it all depends on goals, etc.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One of the best Judo guys came from Europe. His advantages were his size and weight.

Only way to know if JUDO is something that meet your needs to to try a few classes. (find a good Sensi)

Think about it? ....Learning throws and takedowns....and everyone wants to learn and improve there groundwork......this is what JUDO is all about.

You can throw someone gentlely or slam'um down. Try JUDO! ....

------------

Research the Judo (google,yahoo and read some of the sites of Judo schools and champions. This may help you decide? ........Aloha

OP
Bubba Buck

Bubba Buck

White Belt
Reaction score
My buddy trains under Ray Snow who is very recognized in the Judo world. I can go to class with him anytime. So I will be checking it out.