help me choose between

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bujinkan and Gracie/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

The Bujinkan teacher does not have a website for you guys to look at. I haven't even met the teacher yet...but his name is William Harrison.

The BJJ teacher I've met before. His name is John Blunchi and I believe he just got his brown belt. He has the arrogant attitude that many of the bjj people I met, but he does know his stuff.

Of course I'll go with which teacher I liked better, and I'll have to meet the Bujinkan teacher first....but all things being equal, which one would you guys choose and why?

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure why it is that BJJ guys seem to be so arrogant.. but

IMO.. it won't matter if he knows his stuff if he's a jerk.

Kreese knew his stuff too.. but we see how that one ended up.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
when the time is right the teacher with show them self to you.
good luck

kosho

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bigfootsasquatch, are you in Bastrop, Texas? If so, I thought Ronald Linsay of Shorin-Ryu karate fame was located in Bastrop. He's reputed to be one of the foremost shorin-ryu men in America. I'd definitely look into seeing if he is still teaching and accepting new students I were in the area.

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
when the time is right the teacher with show them self to you.
good luck

kosho

I'm asking what people would choose between Bujinkan taijutsu and Gracie jiu jitsu. I've been in martial arts for a long time and looking to study other styles now.

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bigfootsasquatch, are you in Bastrop, Texas? If so, I thought Ronald Linsay of Shorin-Ryu karate fame was located in Bastrop. He's reputed to be one of the foremost shorin-ryu men in America. I'd definitely look into seeing if he is still teaching and accepting new students I were in the area.

I'm in Bastrop Louisiana. Thanks for the info though. I'm not really into learning karate of any style however. I've been in Tae Kwon Do(with a mix of joint locks, weapons and other stuff) since 1994. I want to study something thats a bit different than TKD. Though I have to admit studying with someone with that sort of reputation would tickle my fancy regardless of the style
icon7.gif

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are you looking for? Which school will help you move towards that goal? You've been around the block enough times to go from there.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you looking for? Which school will help you move towards that goal? You've been around the block enough times to go from there.
Yep...

The two are different enough that the question is kind of like asking which is better, chocolate cake or Rocky Road ice cream.

(I know... both, together!)

It falls back on what you want out of the training. BJJ is generally very good, one-on-one grappling and ground fighting. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is very different... It's focus is reality, it's taught very differently. It can be very effective. (I've also seen some evidence of folks whose training wasn't so realistic or practical, too.)

Look at the classes; talk to the instructors, and weigh what you see against each other.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep...

The two are different enough that the question is kind of like asking which is better, chocolate cake or Rocky Road ice cream.

(I know... both, together!)

It falls back on what you want out of the training. BJJ is generally very good, one-on-one grappling and ground fighting. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is very different... It's focus is reality, it's taught very differently. It can be very effective. (I've also seen some evidence of folks whose training wasn't so realistic or practical, too.)

Look at the classes; talk to the instructors, and weigh what you see against each other.

This is good advice and words of wisdom. Check out the two Training Halls and see which one fits you best. Good luck!
icon6.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a way the two arts are opposites, BJJ focuses on the sport aspect of grappling while BBT tend to have a huge and varied curriculum.

All things being equal I wouldn`t know which to pick.. I`d ask to try a class or two of each and go with the one I liked better.

Latest Discussions