Help me choose a self defense walking cane

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi

I am new here and I am new in learning self defense with walking cane. I have question on what cane to choose. I started out buying a cheap wood crook cane from Amazon, I tried hitting on heavy kicking bag and I broke it in like a minute, it just crack in the middle!! So I went to rattan cane, the first I got is 7/8” diameter, it’s very light and flex a lot, It’s only about 6oz and is skinless. I don’t trust it, so I hunted for a thicker ones. I finally bought 3 rattan sticks that are like 1.05” to 1.1” diameter that are with skin and knots un-sanded. I cut them down to 30”, 31” and 32” for practicing. They are still quite heavy, all about 12oz. each. They are quite stiff, I can lean on it with my weight and it only flex very slightly. I thought this is definitely good enough for self defense……..

BUT, then I started reading more. I read that rattan is only good for using in the class where it is safer as it won’t hurt as much if accidentally hitting the partner!!! This is NOT what I want, I want it for self defense. They suggested using for hard wood sticks. My first problem is I don’t trust wood canes from my experience of cracking when hitting the heavy bag.

Also, they said hardwood cane is heavier. My question is how heavy are those 28” hard wood escrima sticks? I want to compare the weight with my canes. If I calculate my rattan canes(12oz.) down to a 28” escrima stick, it’s going to be like 9oz. They are definitely heavier than the few escrima sticks I have ( 6oz to 7oz). What is a typical weight of hard wood stick that is 28” long?

Bottom line, I want to know whether what I have are good enough for self defense, or do I have to go buy a hardwood walking cane.

Thanks

Alan

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll let others chime in with the best hardwood options, but I wanted to make it clear that you can do serious damage with a rattan stick (up to and including concussions and broken bones), assuming that you have decent technique and are using a relatively substantial piece of rattan. Maybe not as much as a heavier chunk of an appropriate hardwood might do, but still enough to be effective.

The real advantage to rattan for training is that when a stick does eventually wear out from the rigors of extensive practice hitting things, rattan will just gradually soften and turn to mush, while a piece of hardwood may splinter and break, leaving a jagged point which you might inadvertently skewer your training partner with.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Is rattan with skin stiffer and more durable than without skin of the same size?

I first bought a 7/8" diameter cane with no skin, it's flexible, I can bend it with my hands. But the 3 cane with skin that are 1 1/10"(1.1") diameter is a lot stiffer. I can barely bend ever so slightly with my hands. It's almost double the weight of the 7/8" skinless one. I don't think the 7/8" skinless one can be used for self defense.

Took me a while to find one that is 1.1" diameter, I thought it should be good enough until I read an old thread here. 12oz might not sounds like a lot, but it's a huge difference when twirling and swinging compare with the normal rattan escrima sticks. I want to know what is the weight of a hardwood stick.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do they still make bubba sticks?

I have just always wanted one.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello Alan0354,
Welcome to Martial Talk.
Quick question, do you need the cane for support and aid- or - are you just interested in learning how to use and to carry for self-defense?
If you like working with wood, metal, and your hands then it is often pleasurable to make your own stick out of hardwood of choice and trimmed with metal of choice. If not crafty, there are all kinds of 'unbreakable' synthetics for sale.
Good luck with your search and experimentations. Let us know what you decide on.
If I remember correctly there are a few nice threads on self defense with a cane on martial talk that you can research for your enjoyment and perhaps some training ideas.
Warmest Regards
Brian King

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I first want to know what is a typical weight of a hard wood escrima stick that is 1" diameter and 28" long. I have a hard time getting this info.

Thanks

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I first want to know what is a typical weight of a hard wood escrima stick that is 1" diameter and 28" long. I have a hard time getting this info.

Thanks
it seems an academic question to be honest, if you hit someone with a 12 oz stick , the weight of a reasonable claw hammer, your likely to do significant damage, the problem you have is actualy making contact and not killing them if you do, a heavier cane wont solve either of those issues

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

They also make hiking sticks, but you were asking about a cane...

I have a hanbo that they made, and it is excellent quality.

This guy reviews bokkens, by breaking them on a tree. Note that he is not able to break the Kingfisher Bokken:

He usually does break the bokken, so he can show you what to expect when they do break when practicing. Skip to 5:10 in this video to see this one break on the first hard hit.

If you want to be able to hit with it, choose hickory. There is a reason that hammers, axes and picks use hickory handles.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it seems an academic question to be honest, if you hit someone with a 12 oz stick , the weight of a reasonable claw hammer, your likely to do significant damage, the problem you have is actualy making contact and not killing them if you do, a heavier cane wont solve either of those issues
Thanks for the reply, the reason I ask is also because I read all the posts about sticks here, they are said use rattan because it's lighter and more flexible, it's good for sparing. BUT if doing solo drill and swinging, use a heavier hardwood stick for strength practice. So I want to know what is the weight of the hardwood stick so I can know whether my 12oz stick is heavy enough to represent the hardwood stick.

I have rattan escrima sticks also, even when they are a little over 1" diameter, all are below 7oz. My canes are quite heavy, even when I calculate for a 28" stick, it calculated to 9.8oz. This means if a 28" hardwood stick people use for solo practice is under 10oz, then I don't even have to go buy a hardwood stick for strength practice. Thereby I ask the question.

I don't know about you guys, to me swinging a 7oz stick is a whole hell of a lot easier than a 9.8oz, it's day and night difference even though it's only less than 3oz more. I can swing and twirl much faster, making all the wooping sound and all with a 7oz stick, it's tiring using my canes.

Thanks

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

They also make hiking sticks, but you were asking about a cane...

I have a hanbo that they made, and it is excellent quality.

This guy reviews bokkens, by breaking them on a tree. Note that he is not able to break the Kingfisher Bokken:

He usually does break the bokken, so he can show you what to expect when they do break when practicing. Skip to 5:10 in this video to see this one break on the first hard hit.

If you want to be able to hit with it, choose hickory. There is a reason that hammers, axes and picks use hickory handles.
Yeh, I don't hike, it would be funny to go to a restaurant with a hiking stick. I use it purely as self defense. I am a Chinese, seeing all the attacks on Chinese lately, I have to do something to protect myself. I am 68, so it won't look funny carrying a walking cane.

I learned kick boxing type for a few years long long time ago, never really practice stick fighting until now. I started watching youtubes and pick out some practical moves, learning how to swing. I stay away from the fancy twirling stuffs and concentrate on swinging and footwork. Just use what I learn before in kick boxing footwork and learn more different footwork on youtube. I found the footwork of MMA is particular interesting going in and out, side to side. Never stay in one position, nothing formal stepping like traditional martial arts.

Thanks

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeh, I don't hike, it would be funny to go to a restaurant with a hiking stick.
That is why the link I provided was to a cane for self defense (and also walking around) and not to the hiking sticks. I just mentioned them in case someone was interested. These canes are made for heavy contact, just like the rest of the wooden weapons they make. But they are also made to be pretty decent canes as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeh, I don't hike, it would be funny to go to a restaurant with a hiking stick. I use it purely as self defense. I am a Chinese, seeing all the attacks on Chinese lately, I have to do something to protect myself. I am 68, so it won't look funny carrying a walking cane.

I learned kick boxing type for a few years long long time ago, never really practice stick fighting until now. I started watching youtubes and pick out some practical moves, learning how to swing. I stay away from the fancy twirling stuffs and concentrate on swinging and footwork. Just use what I learn before in kick boxing footwork and learn more different footwork on youtube. I found the footwork of MMA is particular interesting going in and out, side to side. Never stay in one position, nothing formal stepping like traditional martial arts.

Thanks
that seem like a lot of money for a bit of wood

you do know it grows on trees

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that seem like a lot of money for a bit of wood

you do know it grows on trees
Labour costs. And experience.

Same reason people pay for a wedding photographer.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks wab25 for the suggestion. I am actually more interested in comparing rattan vs wood and the weight difference. I actually have a lot of canes already. Everything is still close in my area, I am pretty much like living on an island when I start choosing what kind of materials for the cane.

Because of my bad experience with my first wood crook cane, I am reluctant to buy any wood canes. The wood cane I bought lasted less than a minute hitting the heavy kicking bag before it crack into two pieces!!! So I concentrate in rattan and other synthetic material canes. I found I like rattan more as the synthetic ones are really heavy. I choose rattan over the synthetic ones because I can choose a really thick rattan cane for better grip. I found the 1.1" diameter rattan cane with is quite perfect. It's a big difference how it feels between a 1.1" and 1".

Actually I have two other synthetic material cane,
1) Cold Steel City Stick Walking Stick 37.6" Overall Length, Aluminum Head - 91STA 705442009139 | eBay
I actually modified to look very much like the one you suggested as the silver knob is too eye catching. Also, it doesn't hang on the table. So I actually fabricate my own handle. As is, it's 12oz, the weight is good and it is STIFF!! This one can hit hard, it doesn't vibrate. Problem is the stick is only 3/4" diameter. I have to put a foam tube to increase the diameter for better gripping. Which make it kind of funny looking. I want something that doesn't attract attention. I show the picture below on the left side labeled (1).

2)United Cutlery 39" Adjustable Walking Black Molded Nylon Shaft Cane 3129 760729312968 | eBay
I cut the hook and shorten it so it doesn't stand out. This one is very heavy. Even after cut to size and actually drill a 3/8" deep hole at the end to reduce weight, still weight in at a whopping 18oz. It's too heavy for single hand. It is shown in (3) and (4) in the picture. I practice two hand fighting like Japanese Katana with this. That's a different story for another thread. (3) is the cane for self defense, (4) has padding for hitting the heavy bags. Also, it's only 15/16" diameter, too thin to have a good grip with one hand.

I also put pads on a rattan stick(2) for hitting bags. I don't want to destroy my heavy bags if I use sticks without padding.
Canes.jpg

Thanks

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Labour costs. And experience.

Same reason people pay for a wedding photographer.

Sorry. That isn’t as good. Apparently it can take a year to dry the wood.

Or not. I don't know. I buy them off people who do know.

Latest Discussions