Impact Weapons, Hardness, and other considerations

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you guys are looking just a 26" or 28" stick that is tough and can last, why not look at this:
United Cutlery 39" Adjustable Walking Black Molded Nylon Shaft Cane 3129 760729312968 | eBay

This is the Nylon cane that I am using. It's heavy for a cane as I need min 30" and then with the hook, it's 18oz for the cane.

BUT, if you want a straight stick that is 26' or 28". It's very close to 2 inches/oz. So for 26", it's 13oz, 28" it's 14oz. It is 7/8" thick. You buy the stick, just cut off the hook and cut to the length you want. I am sure if you find hard wood that can take a beating, they are NOT that light, you still might be looking at 10 to 12oz.

It's made of Nylon, it's tough, it's definitely stiffer than 1.1" rattan with skin and burned. I just compare the bending strength last night. They often have buy 3 get the 4th for free.

It is not cheap, but I don't think the exotic ones you look at is that cheap either. I am willing to bet the Nylon stick is going to out last ANY wood stick even it's hand picked, best wood.

Look at the picture of my cane collection, the one that has pad on both end, I have been using that to beat on the heavy bags for months, there is no sign that it's giving up any time soon. I even wrote to the seller, they said it's ok to beat on heavy bags. This is the one I drilled the hole that drifted to the side and was deemed weaken already. It hold up really well.

EDIT: I have the Coldsteel Walkabout stick also. I cut it open, it looks to be made of the same material of the Night Watchman cane above. Look at the test:

Nylon is a very strong material.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For people that want single hand cane, the Cold Steel City Stick or this is the hardest I have:

Cold Steel Black Pistol Grip City Stick Polished Finish 6160 Aluminum Head 91STA 705442013532 | eBay

You can see it's a lot nicer looking than the two in the picture of my collection. I change the handle to make it cheap and ordinary looking so it doesn't attract attention. At 30", my cane is 13oz. It is perfect for single hand.

One thing is the stick is very thin, I have to put a rubber foam tube to get a better grip as shown in my picture. If anyone interested, I can give the link of the foam tube I bought on Amazon, it fits perfect.

I wonder how much air resistance can affect the speed. When I swing this stick, it's the loudest. The big rattan cane is very quiet. I wonder whether the velocity of the cane when I swing is faster with the Cold Steel as it's smaller in diameter.

Don't discount the air resistance, it is a fact that aerodynamics is very important for cars at 60mph. Air resistance becomes a major factor in airplanes and cars. I have no idea of the velocity of the cane when swing. Someone might know the answer.

My favorite United Cutlery Night Watchman is mainly for two hands. It's heavy, definitely harder than Rattan and wood, not quite as hard as Cold Steel City Stick. But it's very hard to get it below 17oz. I cut to 29" and drilled a 3/8" size hole, 7" deep to get to 17oz. It is HARD to drill a straight hole down the cane. I ruined two to perfect the technique to drill a straight deep hole. It is NOT a candidate for single hand cane.
I want to post 2 more pictures of the two Cold Steel City sticks I have.
Cold Steel 1.jpg
Cold Steel 2.jpg

The first picture was how I got them, The second picture is the same two but with the fancy head removed. You can see it's a perfect straight stick without the fancy silver knob. It's easy to remove, just unscrew the head. I also put the foam handle on one of them to show how it looks like. It's very comfortable swinging with the foam. I weighted one, it's exactly 12oz of the 29" one without any knob or grip, just the straight stick.

This got to be the hardest one of all. You definitely feel it hurts more when tapping on the shin.

This is the foam rubber handle I use, it fits perfectly and it's of very high quality.
Amazon.com: DMI Foam Hand Grip Replacement for Standard Handle Canes, Thick Cushioned Foam, Black : Health & Household

Your sparing partner will hate you if you use this for sparing :).

Latest Discussions