Help.looking for MA style close to Hapkido

jwmims

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would love to learn Hapkido ,but there is no schools near me,what other styles are there that is close to Hapkido?Like to learn striking with hands and kicks{but like lower kicks},takedowns,throws,joint locks,,,anyone have any ideas of another MA i should be looking at?I live in the South DFW tx area. i did find a Seibukan Jujutsu class within driving range,may go watch one of their classes this week.Anyone know of this style of jujutsu?Any and all advice is very welcome,Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
James

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would love to learn Hapkido ,but there is no schools near me,what other styles are there that is close to Hapkido?Like to learn striking with hands and kicks{but like lower kicks},takedowns,throws,joint locks,,,anyone have any ideas of another MA i should be looking at?I live in the South DFW tx area. i did find a Seibukan Jujutsu class within driving range,may go watch one of their classes this week.Anyone know of this style of jujutsu?Any and all advice is very welcome,Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
James
I did a couple of seminars years back with the head guy in Seibukan jujutsu, Julio Toribio, great instructor, interesting art. Too bad he was from California, and I live in Canada. Aikido would be great, if you didn't want to learn much about striking.

Last edited by a moderator:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What kinds of schools are available in your region?

That will help us advise you.

But from looking at the youtube link posted by frank raud, I would say a good school teaching Seibukan Jujutsu, and a couple of other links I found from there, would be worth your while. It appears very Aikido like, minus the sword techniques. Hapkido tends to be more direct and damaging, but Aikido, and it appears, Seibukan Jujutsu have nothing really to criticize.

OP
J

jwmims

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the schools near me are TKD,American karate,Wing Chung kung fu,MMA,BJJ

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you like rolling and grappling, BJJ might be the ticket for you. If you can swing it and the school does not suck you can cross train TKD or Karate for the kicks and punches.

I wish I had a Hanmudo instructo near by. It's a fusion of Hapkido and another Korean style, developed by Master Kimm (who is a class act in himself), but it's largely unknown. Joint locks, pressure points, throws...I don't think a lot of strikes or kicks, but I nevr got past the first couple of pages in the book... :(