Help advice needed

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Please accept my respects,

I practice TKD and Wing Chun. I am worried that this may be a bad idea mixing external and internal arts. I know Wing Chun feels "better" because it is internal kung fu. I am new to both of them. And would like to be a serious practicioner. I do enjoy them both. Am I spreading over too far a surface?

Please share your advice or your own stories I will love to hear it.

Thanks!

:idunno:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know little about the mechanics of TKD and Wing Chun, but it would seem to me, that if they are external/internal arts, then they would be an excellent complement to each other. I don't know if TKD and Wing Chun are normally considered "complementary" to each other. Some arts are better to train together than others. If you feel comfortable with them both I see no reason for concern.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
White Fox said:

I practice TKD and Wing Chun. I am worried that this may be a bad idea mixing external and internal arts. I know Wing Chun feels "better" because it is internal kung fu. I am new to both of them. And would like to be a serious practicioner. I do enjoy them both. Am I spreading over too far a surface?

Thanks!

Their core mechanics and concepts are markedly different therefore it would be more prudent to choose one or the other (BTW I have studied both). What happens when you study both your neurological response would not be as fast as if you honed one art over the other.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must agree it would be best to study one art till you reach a level of seveal years experence then if you wish to study the other that would be ok

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have studied Wing Chun and other arts, but not TKD. I think the real issue is whether you are a beginner in both arts. You should really be solid in one art before you begin training another. If you are too inexperienced all the way around, then yes, you will spread yourself too thin and all of it will be poor. If you are solid in one art, then feel free to practice ANY other art as well. I think it doesn't make sense to worry about whether or not an art "complements" or "contradicts" another art. Practice each art separately. Do not mix them in your practice. Keep them individual and strive to learn and understand them for what they are. Do not fall into the trap of comparing one to the other, or allowing one to contradict the other. If you study them with an open mind, and understand them for what they offer, you shouldn't have a problem. But by all means, practice them both if you are interested in them both, and if you are already solid in one.

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would have thought WC is largely considered an external art (although, in truth all arts have an internal aspect).
I train WC with a TKD black belt, he has a terrible time with the mechanics, but he certainly has the Yun to be good at both!

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems that luck made you train two opposite fighting systems. Wing Chun concentrates in balance and therefore will not like the idea of kicking above the waist due to the effect it has on balance. You may kick later as you feel it good, but that comes in much later advanced levels. TKD might help you in the speed you aquired to move. Combining speed with Wing Chun techniques will be very nice. GOOD LUCK my friend:) .

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
I know little about the mechanics of TKD and Wing Chun, but it would seem to me, that if they are external/internal arts, then they would be an excellent complement to each other. I don't know if TKD and Wing Chun are normally considered "complementary" to each other. Some arts are better to train together than others. If you feel comfortable with them both I see no reason for concern.

Obviously these arts are so different that they could not be considered to complement each other. Learning everyday, thanks to the greater experienced martial artists on this great board.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just do what makes you happy. If you feel you can take on two arts at the same time go for it. You may get to a point where you like one better and drop the other or stay with both.

:)

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I did Muay Thai and Wing Chun at the same time. In my experience, doing two striking arts at once is a bad, bad idea. Just pick one and get good at it.

Now, doing a GRAPPLING art along with a striking art, that´s a good idea.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All depends on your instructors and how you approach it. If you think of it as one system and getting taught by 2 different people with very different approaches, and theose people are willing to let you adapt to make things fit together you might be ok, depending on how you learn.

On the other hand trying to keep them as seperate systems is likely to be very difficult and you'd be much better doing two systems without as much overlap. Toss in some grappling or weapons, something that doesn't do essentially the same stuff but in a very different way.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Obviously these arts are so different that they could not be considered to complement each other.

In my opinion, the differences between two arts are what make them complement each other.

I don't feel that similar arts complement each other. Similar arts are kind of like doing the same thing.

Different arts complement each other because they each cover aspects and approaches that the other art doesn't.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
On the other hand trying to keep them as seperate systems is likely to be very difficult and you'd be much better doing two systems without as much overlap.

In my opinion, it is important to keep them separate when training them. While they both are primarily striking arts, they each have a different approach in applying their techniques. This includes different stances, footwork, theory on how to generate power, how to deliver strikes, angles, and such. If the proper base is not developed for each art, then the application of the art will be poor. This is why it is important to practice them separately, to understand and develop the proper theory for each art, and to learn how the art is to be applied. If they get mixed up, then they both suffer. If you try to apply wing chun techniques with a TKD base, it won't work well.

When practicing, wing chun should be wing chun, TKD should be TKD, judo should be judo, capoeira should be capoeira, mantis should be mantis, etc. When it comes time to using the art to fight or defend yourself, then things may get mixed, you may flow from one art to another as the situation warrants, and you may train to do this in freesparring. But in learning and practicing the arts they should remain distinct so that you develop each art as it is meant to be rather than as a mixed-up and confused hodge-podge.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
In my opinion, the differences between two arts are what make them complement each other.

I don't feel that similar arts complement each other. Similar arts are kind of like doing the same thing.

Different arts complement each other because they each cover aspects and approaches that the other art doesn't.

I understand what you're saying and that's what I meant...just had a brain fart typo...:p

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IMHO I think that mixing of these 2 particular styles is not the best idea due to the philosophical differences in terms of fighting.

WC focuses on a strong base and of keeping kicks below the waiste. TKD on the other hand focuses on a lot of side stepping an opponent and of course kicks above the waiste. Not saying you can make adjustments but if you do I think you would end up showing more WC than TKD in terms of skills being shown.

I take TKD and Shaolin Kung Fu. At first I thouht they would compliment each other well but after doing it for awhile now I can say that they do not. TKD and Kung Fu stances are totally different. Ways to perform certain kicks are different. Also what makes a difference are teachers and their different philosophies in terms of fighting and the applications of techniques.

I have stopped TKD and will look into taking WC b/c I feel that those 2 arts compliment each other alot more better than TKD and Kung Fu.

I would say you may do better sticking to TKD and maybe using some concepts from WC that may help you.

When you cross train it is really hard to keep things seperate. Somtimes I would do a TKD form and the first motion would be a kung fu form and I had to catch myself. Also when it came time to spar I would be in a perfect kung fu back stance instead up upright and bouncing as TKD does.

Main thing to think about, WC focuses on closing the gap while TKD focuses on keeping space between u and your opponent. When it comes toreal life situations and which art is better then you have to see which works for you better. Most would say in real life situations, WC is better than TKD. (excuse they use, "Who in a real fight kicks to the head??"

Best thing I say would be to cross train in Hapkido. That is pretty much nothing but hands and you are a TKD'er which is feet so that would work great.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
IMHO I think that mixing of these 2 particular styles is not the best idea due to the philosophical differences in terms of fighting.

WC focuses on a strong base and of keeping kicks below the waiste. TKD on the other hand focuses on a lot of side stepping an opponent and of course kicks above the waiste. Not saying you can make adjustments but if you do I think you would end up showing more WC than TKD in terms of skills being shown.

I take TKD and Shaolin Kung Fu. At first I thouht they would compliment each other well but after doing it for awhile now I can say that they do not. TKD and Kung Fu stances are totally different. Ways to perform certain kicks are different. Also what makes a difference are teachers and their different philosophies in terms of fighting and the applications of techniques.

I have stopped TKD and will look into taking WC b/c I feel that those 2 arts compliment each other alot more better than TKD and Kung Fu.

I would say you may do better sticking to TKD and maybe using some concepts from WC that may help you.

When you cross train it is really hard to keep things seperate. Somtimes I would do a TKD form and the first motion would be a kung fu form and I had to catch myself. Also when it came time to spar I would be in a perfect kung fu back stance instead up upright and bouncing as TKD does.

Main thing to think about, WC focuses on closing the gap while TKD focuses on keeping space between u and your opponent. When it comes toreal life situations and which art is better then you have to see which works for you better. Most would say in real life situations, WC is better than TKD. (excuse they use, "Who in a real fight kicks to the head??"

Best thing I say would be to cross train in Hapkido. That is pretty much nothing but hands and you are a TKD'er which is feet so that would work great.

I've always wanted to have a look at hapkido.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
White Fox said:

Thanks!

How much training in martial arts have you done before? Are you completely new to martial arts or just these two arts?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
I've always wanted to have a look at hapkido.

You should definately have a look at it. I enjoyed it greatly.

OP
White Fox

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
How much training in martial arts have you done before? Are you completely new to martial arts or just these two arts?

I have done Yang style Tai Chi for about 8 months, I am very new to TKD and Wing Chun. Thats why I want to "step" off on the right foot. So to speak LOL!!

Thanks for all your advice everyone! :asian:

Latest Discussions