Help advice needed

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since you are new to it all, I suggest picking one to focus on mainly right now. Base your decision on what you you like to do. (i.s if u want to do tournaments and stuff...then TKD is the way to go. If pure self defense is what you want then W.C. is the way to go) Either way you need to list out what you expect in all and then choose the style that fits best. WC and TKD are 2 TOTALLY different styles and philosophies (sp?) so keep that in mind.

Taking on 3 arts and being new to all three will hinder you more than it will help you. Tell us what your golas are short and long term and hopefully we can give you good enough advice to help you make a decision you will be pleased with.

OP
White Fox

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Since you are new to it all, I suggest picking one to focus on mainly right now. Base your decision on what you you like to do. (i.s if u want to do tournaments and stuff...then TKD is the way to go. If pure self defense is what you want then W.C. is the way to go) Either way you need to list out what you expect in all and then choose the style that fits best. WC and TKD are 2 TOTALLY different styles and philosophies (sp?) so keep that in mind.

Taking on 3 arts and being new to all three will hinder you more than it will help you. Tell us what your golas are short and long term and hopefully we can give you good enough advice to help you make a decision you will be pleased with.

Thanks alot mate!

Well my goal is to be able to teach in time, Keep in shape, be a well rounded Martial Artist and promote A positive healthy approach to MA's not a "thug" mentality.

Also I would like some street smart self defence skills.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
White Fox said:
Thanks alot mate!

Well my goal is to be able to teach in time, Keep in shape, be a well rounded Martial Artist and promote A positive healthy approachto MA's not a "thug" mentality.

Also I would like some street smart self defence skills.

Anytime!

With those goals in mind now look at which art seems the best.
If you want something long term and very street effective then I would say concentrate on WC. You still have Yip Man's son doing WC at 80 yrs old. It is a art not concerned with strength nor power.

TKD is about strength, power and speed. Now when you get up in age will you still continue to keep in shape by stretching and all and deliver kicks?

Also it takes a shorter amount of time to become an effective fighter in WC than it does in TKD.

If you choose TKD make sure you find a school that focuses on the self defense aspect more than just the sport part. There is a big difference.

Latest Discussions