• Never smoked/never will

• Smoked once but have quit

• Am trying to quit, really trying

• Know its a nasty habit, but still smoke

Results are only viewable after voting.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I started smoking when I was 16, peer pressure in high school. I gave it up 8 years ago and it was the HARDEST thing I've done in my life... I had to go through nicotine inhalers, patches and gum before I finally gave that demon up. I had other addictions that were easier to give up when compared to smoking. With smoking you not only have to deal with the physical addiction, but you have to deal with the fact that smoking is socially acceptable and made easy via ashtrays and special smoking sections. You have to deal with the fact that you'll be able to find smokes almost anywhere .... and the worst part of the addiction is the mental aspect; the fact that there are life issues that trigger an intense desire for a smoke; could be after a good meal, or after sex or after an extrication after a car wreck, a good save after a house fire or after any type of celebratory situation. There are times today when I feel that I could light up just as easy as if I quit 5 minutes ago. The saving grace is that it would kill my ability to be as active in the MA as I am.

Drusilla

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been smoking since I was 16, and I'm 26 now. I know I really should give it us as I'm asthmatic, and I know it can't help. However, I'm not in the right frame of mind to quit at the moment, but once I am, I shall give it a go! :D

meta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I quit fairly recently, after being a smoker for 7 years. It was a hard thing to do, and I don't think I would have succeeded without the support of the MT community. :wavey:

I would encourage all those who still smoke to quit. Quitting was a decision that I'm sure I will never regret. And I see enormous improvement in my martial arts training too.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I quit fairly recently, after being a smoker for 7 years. It was a hard thing to do, and I don't think I would have succeeded without the support of the MT community. :wavey:

I would encourage all those who still smoke to quit. Quitting was a decision that I'm sure I will never regret. And I see enormous improvement in my martial arts training too.

Hi Meta, I'm very glad to hear that you did succeed in kicking the weed! From what I've observed of my friends who quit, it gets better and better for quite a while afterwards. Keep up the good work and good luck with your program.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I smoked for what seems like forever, I am four years clean. It does get better, but it is a long, long road. I still have endurance issues.

I had attempted quitting many, many times with no luck. One day I made up my mind and once I did that, it wasn't all that hard. All the previous attempts were made without really having my mind involved. I was quitting cause I thought I should, not because I wanted too.

For those that are trying to quit, hang in there. The physical addiction is short, the mental addiction is the really rough part. For all those that have already quit, I have great admiration for you all ...

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Smoked for about 35yrs, stopped about 6yrs ago. Used Zyban when I stopped to help deal with anxiety but only for a few months. Wife stopped at the same time which made it a little easier. Just surprized we did not kill each other
Eyecrazy.gif

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I voted that I am trying to quit but I have actually quit.

I dont smoke but Ive been dipping/chewing for the better part of 7 years. It is a very nast habbit I know but I loved it. It would calm me down if I ever got angry (happens often, I have a bad temper). But i have learned to control my temper and have quit (about 6 months now). It gets hard sometimes because I used it as a clutch for so long and when i go out to the bars I always want one.

B

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well times have changed and I still don't really smoke although I must admit that I have tried a hooka( I have no clue on the spelling. I really like them. I may well smoke flavored tobacco every now and then when I'm around one.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was able to get my foot in the door and break the cycle as I call it. Tuesday I woke up and had accidentally ran out of smokes the night before so I didn't have my morning smoke. Then I just decided to not buy any on the way to work. That day pretty much sucked but the next morning was a lot easier and it got easier through the second day. It's only been three full days now but still from two packs a day to none without a patch or gum or drugs! I've quit cold turkey before and stayed quit for over a year but I've smoked for 15 years. I was stupid ever to start up again after I quit last time. Hopefully this time I won't be so careless.

This is my Christmas, New Years and birthday to myself. I'm going to take the money I save and buy the computer I've always wanted. Wish me luck!

CatNap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Smoked in JR High, High school and college - quit when I turned 25 (I'm now 40). I didn't plan it - just ran out and decided not to buy another pack. The ***** of it was I didn't get to enjoy my last smoke because of a dog that ran out in the middle of the street. I was so concerned about him, I barely took a drag. I finally turned the car around and thankfully he got off and stayed away from the road - but by then I was out! I thought about getting another pack, just smoke one and thow it out, but seriously....that would never happen.

I just stopped, had the worst jitters for two weeks like a Herion addict but I wouldn't give in. I haven't had even one relaspe - no pills, group therapy, gum, etc. The best way to quit is just do it - don't plan it - and for God's sake, don't tell anyone! Everyone telling you what a great thing it is you're doing and how proud they are you just makes you want to light up! :eek:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep...Smoked since I was about 18...Quit 2 years ago and picked up 60 lbs that I cannot lose....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have I smoked?

That depends; does it count if my arm was once on fire and smoking?

If it does then yes, if it doesn't them no.

You can't leave it at that! Tell!

Drac, my instructor is in the same position as you. He's smoked for 30 years gave up earlier this year and put on weight that he is not happy about.

TrainHardFightEasy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm 25 and smoked on and off since I was 13. I got accupuncture done about a year ago and stopped smoking without cravings or anything for like 4 or 5 months. It was really weird. Soon as I had the accupuncture done I didn't feel like smoking nor even think about smokes. It was like I never smoked! Anyways about 6 months ago on a crazy weekend away with some of the lads I managed to start smoking again. What an idiot! So I'm going back to the accupuncturist next week. And I'll have to make sure I keep my stupidity in check this time.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've never smoked.. Both my parents smoke, and my grandparents on both sides. Hell all my family smokes with the exception of ME, MY BROTHER (which did smoke for a little while but quit). And one of my cousins. EVERYONE ELSE in my family smokes.

I hate going to my parents because after 30sec's walking into thier home I smell like a cigarette factory. It's disgusting. My parents barely come to visit me because i lead a NON SMOKING life and no one is allowed to smoke in my home. I dont have many friends because all I do is sit at home and raise my son (which will never smoke cause I'll kill him first if he does!) Sad thing is poor guy has to stay with my parents on occassion and his asthma i know it kills him. But i have no other sitter. SUCKS!!

Wont date, or marry a smoker.. It's just that simple.. SMOKING HAS TORE MY FAMILY down.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You can't leave it at that! Tell!

Sorry Tez3, I was not keeping track of this post.

To fill in some of the blanks

My arm caught on fire (kind of) once in my youth (18 years old) which did cause the sleeve of the shirt, or what was left of it to smoke a bit.

I started my adult life as an Auto mechanic and let’s just say you really need to keep a good grip on the cutting torch.

2nd and 3rd degree burns but to be honest I felt no pain; the nerves were the first to go apparently.

No scar, no loss of any strength or movement, surprisingly, just a slight dent in my arm were stuff use to be.

So you see I am not exactly sure if that counts for smoking

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In college I used alot more tobacco than I do now. I currently only indulge in the occasional cigar and the very rare plug/mail pouch "chaw" depending on the company I keep and the deployment schedule.

Latest Discussions