• Smoked once but have quit

• Am trying to quit, really trying

• Know its a nasty habit, but still smoke

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

switch

Mc Qoorbs said:
if its weed its ok
On the contrary. That stuff messes you up and it affects the lives of those that care for you. I'd rather smoke cigarettes for the rest of my, however short life and actually have some sense of clarity in my life than smoke weed and live in a paranoid and delusional world with all sorts of problems compounding at an alarming rate. It's not cool to smoke weed and if you see yourself loosing out to the habbit seek help before you start to regret your lost life.

RBaddorf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I smoked from 1971 (1st year high school) until Dec 1998. Quitting is difficult, and still over 6 years later still have a desire once in a while for a smoke. Now I ahve a cigar once or twice a year, usually as a celebration for some thing like a good camp or road trip. I don't go to bars very much anymore. I hate the way that your cloths, hair, skin, everything stinks. Makes the whole house stink when you get home. It was about three months after I quit, that I started to notice how horrible smokers' breath smelled. You can smell the decay in the lungs on a heavy smoker...

Ron

T

TonyM.

Public service anouncement! Smoking really does stunt your growth! If you are not a fully grown adult please don't hurt yourself like this.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or better yet just don't smoke...
I will leave mention of how smoking supports the economy out of this least any one trys to rationalize it that way.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all.

Ok, I have to admit that I smoke. I've been hiding it for years from the MA community :xtrmshock :waah: I've been smoking for 17 years (and I'm only 30!). Both my parents smoked. My mom quit cold turkey about 10 years ago, I think. She only smoked a few a day, mainly when she got mad at my dad LOL. My dad tried many times, but smoked up until he died. That wasn't the cause of his death, though. His mom did die of smoking related problems, though. A lot of people in my family smoke (my sisters, brother, brother in law, one nephew, two of my cousins).

I've tried many times, but without success :( My best friend and her husband quit last year cold turkey.

Now that I'm in NY ... meaning that I'm not around them (the smokers), except twice a year .... I think it would make it easier, right? My boyfriend quit many years ago cold turkey. But he puts up with me smoking (I refuse to smoke in the house, because even I don't like the house smelling like smoke). My friends here don't smoke either (most of my friends are also MA's).

I never really had the motivation to quit .... till now .... My black belt test in November. You have to be physically fit to pass the first part of the test (the power camp .... 8 hours of h#ll!). I'm pretty fit, other than the fact I can't run more than 2 minutes without getting winded (we have to run a mile and a half under 13 minutes for the test). I used to be good at sprinting (still am), but that doesn't take much "wind." So I know if I quit now, it won't take me long to build up my "wind" for the mile and a half.

But I need support. So, I saw this thread and thought this would be a good place to start (specially with other MA's trying to quit just like me).

Any advice from the ones who did quit and how they did it, would help a lot.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hey all. Ok, I have to admit that I smoke. I've been hiding it for years from the MA community I've been smoking for 17 years (and I'm only 30!). Both my parents smoked. My mom quit cold turkey about 10 years ago, I think. She only smoked a few a day, mainly when she got mad at my dad LOL. My dad tried many times, but smoked up until he died. That wasn't the cause of his death, though. His mom did die of smoking related problems, though. A lot of people in my family smoke (my sisters, brother, brother in law, one nephew, two of my cousins). I've tried many times, but without success My best friend and her husband quit last year cold turkey.
I never really had the motivation to quit .... till now .... My black belt test in November. You have to be physically fit to pass the first part of the test (the power camp .... 8 hours of h#ll!). I'm pretty fit, other than the fact I can't run more than 2 minutes without getting winded (we have to run a mile and a half under 13 minutes for the test). I used to be good at sprinting (still am), but that doesn't take much "wind." So I know if I quit now, it won't take me long to build up my "wind" for the mile and a half. But I need support. So, I saw this thread and thought this would be a good place to start (specially with other MA's trying to quit just like me). Any advice from the ones who did quit and how they did it, would help a lot.
Hi Laurie,

Don't worry--you're among friends here. Glad to hear that you've decided to quit; motivation, whatever it may be, definitely helps. Here is my story that I posted in this thread last year http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=261520&postcount=32. I would recommend using the patch or a prescription from your doctor (depending on how many years you smoked). Also, what got me through it was support from my fellow MA students & instructors, and most importantly staying busy; when I quit "cold turkey" (as you read in my post, which I do not recommend unless as a last resort because it's very hard on your body) I kept busy by constantly training, keeping chewing gum with me at all times, & to keep on track I would ask myself "What needs to be done right now?" "I need to clean my apartment, my car, redo my filing system at work", etc. You are going to have to consciously keep your hands occupied at all times, especially for the first two weeks since those are the hardest.

There's another woman on MT named "Raisin" who's just quit this past week, & I encourage you to contact her (as well as all of us here at MT if you need support). Trust me, it's never too late to quit. I know you can do it!! :ultracool :) :supcool: We're here for you!!

Sincerely,
Gin-Gin :)

Mc Qoorbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
switch said:
On the contrary. That stuff messes you up and it affects the lives of those that care for you. I'd rather smoke cigarettes for the rest of my, however short life and actually have some sense of clarity in my life than smoke weed and live in a paranoid and delusional world with all sorts of problems compounding at an alarming rate. It's not cool to smoke weed and if you see yourself loosing out to the habbit seek help before you start to regret your lost life.
hahahaha what the hell?man herb is from the earth...youd rather inhale man made products such as tar and other extremely potent venoms into your lungs?oooook

people i know that do it are far from paranoid...on the opposite theyre probably the most intelligent people i know

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hey all.

Ok, I have to admit that I smoke. I've been hiding it for years from the MA community :xtrmshock :waah: I've been smoking for 17 years (and I'm only 30!). Both my parents smoked. My mom quit cold turkey about 10 years ago, I think. She only smoked a few a day, mainly when she got mad at my dad LOL. My dad tried many times, but smoked up until he died. That wasn't the cause of his death, though. His mom did die of smoking related problems, though. A lot of people in my family smoke (my sisters, brother, brother in law, one nephew, two of my cousins).

I've tried many times, but without success :( My best friend and her husband quit last year cold turkey.

Now that I'm in NY ... meaning that I'm not around them (the smokers), except twice a year .... I think it would make it easier, right? My boyfriend quit many years ago cold turkey. But he puts up with me smoking (I refuse to smoke in the house, because even I don't like the house smelling like smoke). My friends here don't smoke either (most of my friends are also MA's).

I never really had the motivation to quit .... till now .... My black belt test in November. You have to be physically fit to pass the first part of the test (the power camp .... 8 hours of h#ll!). I'm pretty fit, other than the fact I can't run more than 2 minutes without getting winded (we have to run a mile and a half under 13 minutes for the test). I used to be good at sprinting (still am), but that doesn't take much "wind." So I know if I quit now, it won't take me long to build up my "wind" for the mile and a half.

But I need support. So, I saw this thread and thought this would be a good place to start (specially with other MA's trying to quit just like me).

Any advice from the ones who did quit and how they did it, would help a lot.

Hiya Lauire

I hear your trying to quit!!!! Ive been smoke free now for the last three weeks after smoking for about 21 years of my life. The key to giving up is that you really have to want to give up. Set yourself a date that you will stop smoking and plan it. That is the key. It got to the point where I was really excited. I am using patches and there have been a few days where I have not worn a patch at all. To a certain degree you need to change what you do. I never went on the computer for the first week as when I was smoking as soon as I got on the computer I would light up. I even have to sit in a different chair. I eat alot of mints, and brush my teeth alot!!!!
If you really really want to give up it will work. I know you can do it. I fyou need anymore help give me a yell, Ill be glad to support you through this.!!!

regards
Raewyn

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never smoked and never will, and for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to start. It's horribly horribly bad. 4 cigarettes contain enough nicotine to kill you. Nicotine is also sold commercially as a pesticide. Carbon monoxide, inhaled together with the smoke, binds to the iron in your hemoglobin 200 times stronger than oxygen does. Inhaling exhaust fumes from cars (rich in CO) used to be the most popular method for suicide by poison.

What bothers me more is second-hand smoke. I probably smoke a cigarette a day off second-hand smoke, and this is after avoiding it as much as I can.

And the worst part of it all is the ignorance. I asked a friend who works in an oncology ward why she smokes, and she said it all comes from above and we can't control it anyway, which makes me wonder why she thinks chemotherapy is of any use.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Smoking any type of drug is the worst way of taking any drug including nicotine/tobacco. Why don't people just eat it? It may take a bit longer and cost a bit more but it is far far more healthier.

I don't take drugs though, other than caffeine and on social occasions alcohol ;).

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've smoked almost my entire life. Started when I was 13 I think. I work out so much and my blood/oxygen level is so high, my own doctor didn't even know I smoked. There's little incentive to quite when I can outlast every non-smoker in sparring and endurance testing. BUT, I'm starting to show signs of needing to quit. Now I just gotta figure out how.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I've smoked almost my entire life. Started when I was 13 I think. I work out so much and my blood/oxygen level is so high, my own doctor didn't even know I smoked. There's little incentive to quite when I can outlast every non-smoker in sparring and endurance testing. BUT, I'm starting to show signs of needing to quit. Now I just gotta figure out how.

Theres always the incentive of not stinking to high heaven and saving the money!!!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
Theres always the incentive of not stinking to high heaven and saving the money!!!
Actually, you're right on the money. Both are high on my incentive list. I'm a bit of a clean freak, and smelling like old smoke is bit counter productive. What makes that a hard incentive, is that I myself don't smell it. I only know it because of the occasional comment, which, usually made as nasty remark as apposed to something constructive, makes me defensive and generally nasty right back.

Saving money is also gotten to a noticeable point. Because I live in the "Tax on anything you can think of" capitol of the world, I could buy a new racing engine for my stang in 2 years with what I pay for smokes.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Actually, you're right on the money. Both are high on my incentive list. I'm a bit of a clean freak, and smelling like old smoke is bit counter productive. What makes that a hard incentive, is that I myself don't smell it. I only know it because of the occasional comment, which, usually made as nasty remark as apposed to something constructive, makes me defensive and generally nasty right back.

Saving money is also gotten to a noticeable point. Because I live in the "Tax on anything you can think of" capitol of the world, I could buy a new racing engine for my stang in 2 years with what I pay for smokes.

Yeah i used to smoke and i never noticed the smell until after i had quit. Now i really cannot stand it and have a really keen sense of smell for it, if i stand around a friend who is smoking for a while i can smell it on my clothes for the rest of the day.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
Smoking any type of drug is the worst way of taking any drug including nicotine/tobacco. Why don't people just eat it? It may take a bit longer and cost a bit more but it is far far more healthier.
Umm...

howstuffworks.com said:
Not many people realize that nicotine is also sold commercially in the form of a pesticide! And every year, many children go to the emergency room after eating cigarettes or cigarette butts. Sixty milligrams of nicotine (about the amount in three or four cigarettes if all of the nicotine were absorbed) will kill an adult, but consuming only one cigarette's worth of nicotine is enough to make a toddler severely ill!
What happens to people after ingesting nicotine? Nicotine poisoning causes vomiting and nausea, headaches, difficulty breathing, stomach pains and seizures.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
so i took one drag off one cigarette once in my life.

at the time, i had something like 8 beers in me, and i was high on mushrooms (i was in japan, where at the time they were legal). and if you couldn't figure out from the preceding sentence, i was feeling fairly self-destructive that particular evening.

even under such an altered state, i still couldn't imagine why anybody would ever voluntarily take a second drag.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as fir the oiginal question Yes i have smoked tobacco (and a few other things) in my life. Do/did the pleasue outweigh the harm NO

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I smoked in High School, but being the cheap person I am, when the cost went from 50 cents a pack to 65 cents overnight, I refused to pay that much for a dried up plant. Haven't bought one sense. When I think of the cash I drank though, I more than made up for the slight gain in dropping the Cigs.

Latest Discussions