• Am trying to quit, really trying

• Know its a nasty habit, but still smoke

Results are only viewable after voting.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never smoked. Both of my folks smoked when I was growing up despite my bad asthma. My dad only quit when he was put in the hospital 10 days before he died of small-cell lung cancer. The only reason he quit is because he couldn't smoke in his room & he was too weak to walk down to the front door outside.

He smoked about 3 packs by the end. He once was hospitalized after a car accident & major surgery that followed. He was on morphine for 3 days. He told me that during that time, was the only time in his life (he started when he was 10 years old!) that he didn't want a cigarette. When they took him off the morphine ALL he wanted was a cigarette!

pad256

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I quit 5 1/2 years ago, best thing I ever did because I found my next addition to be way cooler... Kempo

never stop trying to quit!

Paul

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When i was about 18 i took up smoking.....a stupid thng to do but unfortunately i can't change the dumb things i've done (there have been a few).

Fortunately i managed to see the light after about 18 months.....and managed to get off them. But even though i was only on them for such a short time it was hard to quit.

So to everyone out there who truely wants to quit i recommend that you draw up a plan of attack.

Firstly - get some professional help. This is going to be the fight of your life, or even for your life, so it helps to have all the info you can possibly get to assist you. If your in Australia get onto QuitLine (http://www.quitnow.info.au/) as they will be able to assist. If your not in Australia, i'm sure you could still contact them by e-mail or there is probably a similar local group for you.

Secondly - get a support team together. There is nothing worse than facing tough times on your own. So get your close friends and family to help you - if they know what your about to go through they can be there to help you resist those temptations. Also, am most poeple who will read this are martial artists i would suggest you also let your Instructors and training friends know - the more support the better.

Thirdly - set goals and rewards. Perhaps your first goal will to only have 1 smoke a day or perhaps it might be to get through a saturday night without a smoke. Whatever it is make sure you reward yourself. Take yourself out for dinner or a movie - go shopping - whatever is your thing set that as a reward. But make sure your goals are realistic - if you smoke 5 packs a day your not going to be able to go cold turkey for a week straight away.......

Fourthly - avoid temptation. If you normally have a smoke over a pot at the pub on the weekend then perhaps for the next few weeks you should change locations. If a particular friend is also a smoke perhaps you might need to tell them that your quitting and that for the next few weeks your not going to be able to be around them.....It might sound harsh but if you can avoid the temptation then your more likely to quit.

Lastly - if you fall down get back up and try again. So perhaps you just couldn't do it this time - don't give up. Talk to your doctor or other professionals and chat to them about what went wrong. Learn from the mistake and try again!!! Whatever you do don't give up.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the issue.........
Best of luck to those who are attempting to quit!!

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My mom had me try it when i was in the 8th grade. I got about 3 puffs in and felt sick and almost threw up in the Kitchen. Never did it again.

Thanks MOM,

Kosho

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a friend who is also a black belt who is undergoing a crisis right now with major heart surgery. This is her second go-around. She was a smoking fiend all her life and after the first heart surgery, she said she gave it up but... Most of know that martial arts and smoking aren't compatible, just like life and smoking aren't but I am amazed how many people in MA still do. So I made the poll. I hope those that indicated that they are still smoking, try to get into a cessation program and use this as a place for support. Obviously those that get into this forum have a passion for martial arts. But you have to have life to enjoy them.... TW

Quoting Nightingale from a previous post:
Nicotine acts directly on the heart to change heart rate and blood pressure.

Nicotine causes a short-term increase in blood pressure, heart rate and the flow of blood from the heart. It also causes the arteries to narrow. Tobacco includes carbon monoxide, which reduces the amount of oxygen the blood can carry. This, combined with the nicotine effects, creates an imbalance between the demand for oxygen by the cells and the amount of oxygen the blood can supply. Nicotine also causes several changes in the blood that make clots -- and heart attack -- more likely.

Tobacco may increase the risk of developing hardening of the arteries and heart attacks in several ways. Carbon monoxide may damage the inner walls of the arteries, encouraging fatty buildups in them. Over time, this causes the vessels to narrow and harden. Nicotine may also contribute to this process.
Cigarette tobacco has all kinds of additives. I do not ever smoke cigarettes.

I do sometimes smoke an arabic hookah with the fruit flavored tobaccos. That is a natural tobacco and much, much less dangerous.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't recall if I've ever posted it at this fora (I would imagine I have) but I used to smoke sixty a day :eek:. That's roughly, in American terms, a $30/day habit or about $11000/year. To give a perspective, during the time I smoked that was 50% or more of my income :faints:.

I'm not kidding when I say that packing in smoking paid for my house :D.

Kingindian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im a non smoking person..
my father got his heart surgery because he likes smoking...
and unfortunately it cost much money...(too much)

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am in the process of quitting, again.

This time, I'm being more proactive in behaviour-mod and rewards. I'm always training heavily while quitting.

I'm on day 3 of the 21 mg patch (which is woefully inadequate) but, I'm getting through it.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I smoke. It sucks. But I'm becoming increasingly aware of my habit and I'm taking measures to decrease the amount I smoke, so I can get to a point where I can just stop.

I don't smoke on days I train (2 days a week) or days when I plan a bike ride (once a week). I should really quit smoking on days I play softball (1 day a week), but everyone on my team smokes while they drink a beer or five. But for the most part, cutting down to less than half a pack a day when I'm not out partying is a good thing.

Does that auricular therapy really work?

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Never smoked and I'm prety sure I never will!

Both my parents smoke and have since they were kids.

ThaiBoxerVicky

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I used to smoke at school and everything, Have stopped for more 4 years now.. I cant stand smoking or smokers. lol

G

Gary Crawford

I have to admit that I smoked for 29 yrs and 8 months until 9 weeks ago. It took 500 attempts and I finally did it with Chantix. I was supposed to take it for 12 weeks,but the crazy dreams and depression got the best of me,so I quit taking it. I am still not going to smoke without it. I broke the nicotine addiction so the additional weeks would not have made any difference.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to admit that I smoked for 29 yrs and 8 months until 9 weeks ago. It took 500 attempts and I finally did it with Chantix. I was supposed to take it for 12 weeks,but the crazy dreams and depression got the best of me,so I quit taking it. I am still not going to smoke without it. I broke the nicotine addiction so the additional weeks would not have made any difference.
Congratulations!!!

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score

Congratulations!

I am 1 year 1 month quit (give or take a week or two) having also used Chantix.

Warning: not using it the full 12 weeks is pretty risky - almost everyone I know who stopped taking it early went back to smoking.

For me it wasn't the nicotine addiction, it was finding replacements for the triggers of WHY I smoked (the coping mechanism). Had to defeat all of those and that took time.

Glad I did it, and I hope you're able to stay quit too!

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to smoke and smoked for a long time. Quit a few times, then started again, but I have been smoke free now for almost 6 months. I don't even crave or think about it so I am satisfied.

Keith Kirkendall

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to enjoy smoking a smooth Red...I do confess I enjoyed it, but the costs...finances and health, gave me incentives to be able to quit. If anyone is still smoking and wants to quit...do not quit for others or it won't work just to get their approval...think of viable reasons to quit and this will help in your battles to overcome this addiction. I also decided to eat healthier and take vitamins and herbal supplements to get through rough spots on my personal road to freedom. Another thing that I personally do is get a daily dose of Bible in me...this may not work for others, but it is something that I personally need on a daily basis. I also exercise moderately on a consistent basis which helps the old bod. Think of viable ways to take positive action to overcome addictions...I know it is not easy; but if I can overcome smoking, anybody can do the same.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I marked used to but quit. Although that is really not quite it. I smoked maybe 4 cigars in back in high school. Nothing else. I am actually tell everyone I see that will kill them one day. I usually don't speak out against others choices as it is their choice. However it is also not fair to those who wish to remain healthy to breath in the smoke.

I will not smoke and and I rarely drink. I hope I pass that down to my children also.

theEXxman

White Belt
Reaction score
I went through smoking binges but after seeing my grandmother die and the effects that long term smoking did to her body I've guit for good. Along with another habit drinking that I kicked out of my life after last thanksgiving. After my grandmother's death last year which happened in march of last year, I've decided to approach this new year without those two vices and to use my training to get centered and grounded and to change my career path into the medical/health field. Short-term specifically nursing.

Latest Discussions