Self Healing using the Martial Arts

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
About 10 year ago I contracted Glandular Fever which then resulted in me being diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), a serious and debilitating illness that can last for years, and sometimes for life. Symptoms of CFS/ME include overwhelming exhaustion, both physical and cognitive, memory and concentration impairment, an intense 'flu like feeling, muscle pain, sleep disturbance, headaches, disturbance of balance and other symptoms. There is no effective treatment for CFS/ME.

The main symptoms of CFS/ME are persistent profound weakness, extreme tiredness after any form of exertion, disrupted sleep, pain and neurological and cognitive (thought related) problems. Other symptoms include:

* Orthostatic hypotension (a sudden drop in blood pressure when you stand up)
* Orthostatic tachycardia (increased heart rate when you stand up)
* Palpitations
* Shortness of breath with exertion
* Muscle twitching
* Sensitivity to light, touch and sound
* Nausea
* Gastrointestinal and urinary problems
* Sore throat and tender lymph nodes
* Marked weight change - extreme loss or gain
* Not coping with temperature changes.

As you can see this would and still does to some effect, have an impact on my training and capacity.

Exercise is often a problem for people with CFS because physical activity may worsen their symptoms. Some people with CFS, especially in the weeks or months following onset, are unable to perform the most basic activities, such as showering or walking from one room to another. In such cases of extreme exhaustion and pain, the person may be confined to their bed. As time passes, they may feel a little better and attempt regular exercise. However, aerobic activity can cause a relapse of symptoms.

It gets worse, as a result of the CFS/ME I went on to develop Bi-Polar Depression. Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. Different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. They can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But there is good news: bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives. It is mainly caused by a lack of serentonin in the brain. Bipolar disorder is a lifetime illness.

This had a devestating effect on not only my training but my life, causing great grief for my family, and it could have destroyed my marriage had I not been urged to seek out help. It almost destroyed me. I have seen the darkness of humanity and myself.

As a result of the Bi-Polar condition and the CFS/ME I have had to re-structure my whole life (which includes my training and teaching). I have cut back on my teaching schedule and only now teach a small select group of people who I really like. With Medication daily, correct eating and training in Chi-Kung and the forms of my style etc I now have a normal (Whatever that may be!) life. I balance the effects of this disease by good diet, good training (smart training) and Chi-Kung practices which are a part of my style.

I also use Chinese traditional herbs including Monk Wine (500 year old recipe). There is no Western "cure" for ME.

I am now much more happier than ever.

I realise that many out there have it much worse than me.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator's note:

Thread moved to Traditional Healing Arts forum.

Ronald Shin
MT Moderator

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You certainly have been through the mill. I'm sorry to hear about your health struggles. It truly takes it's toll on every aspect of our lives. I'm glad to hear you have sought treatment, are rising above your health issues, and learning to live with the disorder. A wonderful example of perseverance. :asian:

OP
shifu

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress,

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate hearing from you.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shifu I am glad that Qigong has worked for you! I believe either in empty vessel or Qi magazine did an article on Qigong and CFS some years back it may be an idea to look into it.

Latest Discussions