Biker Health

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forwarded in to me in an e-mail. I have not checked it out, but thought I would share anyways. ;) :D

Something we core bikers already knew. . . (not verified, though)

Ride Far and Live Long
How many times has some do-gooder warned you against your motorcycle in the interest of your health? Do you politely stand there while a well-intentioned Samaritan regales you with horror stories of a relative of a friend of a friend who went down two days after he bought his bike? I used to dryly inform such self-appointed nice guys that, since most people die in their own beds, to avoid that horrible fate, it would be best to start sleeping on the floor. Now I no longer go head to head with sufferers of moto-phobia. I just tell them now that biking is conducive to a long, healthy and happy life. Here’s how this came about:
During my recent trip to India I came across a new motorcycle magazine called BIKE India which, surprisingly, boasts some really well-researched articles by some top internationally-recognized and local writers. It seems that the family of Adil Jal Darukhanawala, the Editor of BIKE India, still owns the oldest continuously-run motorcycle dealership in the world (!), which today sells Indian-built Yamahas (called TVS Yamaha) in the university town of Pune, Maharashtra State. Adil is one of the most pro-moto two-wheel visionaries you’ll ever meet.
Anyway, the January ’06 issue of BIKE India carries a tightly-researched article entitled "One More Reason to Bike: It’s Good For Your Health!" This article has the hard facts on things that you and I always suspected to be true but had, until now, had no way of proving. The bit of scientific investigation came about when the good folks at Motorcycle Consumer News set out to find Britain’s oldest biker. To the delight of the MCN research team, they found that every single aging rider they talked to credited motorcycling as his or her key to longevity and health. Forging ahead, MCN enlisted the help of students of King’s College of London University Hospital to research why those older riders love motorcycling so much. Here’s what they found:
The Brain: Biking is joyous and is therefore is a natural an anti-depressant. The brain responds to the thrilling sensations of balance combined with forward motion by producing endorphins that prevent depression. Since depression leads to illness, biking is an antidote to disease through prevention of melancholia.
The Lungs: Buses, trains and especially airplanes are confining metal tubes in which passengers are forced to breathe virus-saturated second hand air making for an unsafe travel environment. Bikes on the other hand put you in the wind, a known purifier that is conducive to health by sending fresh oxygen throughout the lungs.
The Heart: The next time a self-styled saint tries to get you safely buckled into some overbuilt SUV, ask him what he thinks the effect of traffic jams and road rage have on the heart. Highway-related anxiety causes a release in hormones that actually increase blood pressure, leading to dangerous levels of stress. Gridlock causes tension, but lanesplitting brings on euphoria. Bye by cars, bye by heart disease.
Circulation: The frequent changes in bodily temperature experienced by motorcyclists stimulate blood circulation, which protects against circulatory problems such as varicose veins and hardening of the arteries. Sitting in some cushy "luxury" car all day in rush hour commute is an excellent way to shut down circulation in the extremities, a known cause of blood clots. Remember that ambulances and hearses are also highly-equipped luxury vehicles.
The Back: Yup, the leaning, turning and twisting that a biker does is downright good exercise that keeps the spine limber. Padded car seats on the other hand are terrible for the back.
Burning of Fat: The excitement of the ride, which puts the senses on high alert, actually burns calories. The more extreme the ride, the better the results will be (as long as the motorcyclist rides within his limits!) OK, some riders like me are overweight, but, hey, if it weren’t for my bike, I probably wouldn’t pass the Greyhound bus driver’s minimal fitness exam!
Leg Muscles: The study concluded that jockeying a hefty motorcycle into a narrow parking spot is the equivalent of a five minute work out on a rowing machine.
Not satisfied with the results of their research, the intrepid MCN team went on to explore the mammoth British Medical Library. There they discovered a pro-moto university thesis entitled "Motorcycle and Adolescents" by French rider and now psychiatrist JP Rabeau. Regarding young riders, this is how the good doctor of the mind wrapped up his research, "Their bikes’ physical nature is often beneficial, rather than a dangerous _expression of an unconscious death wishes in the Freudian sense."
Remember all those tidbits of wisdom that your mother used to tirelessly nag you with? "Do’s" like "eat your veggies" or "take your vitamins" or "wash your hands"? Now you can confidentially add to Mom’s list when you tell your own kids, "…and DON’T FORGET TO RIDE YOUR MOTORCYCLE AT LEAST ONE HOUR DAILY! IT’S GOOD FOR YOU!"

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Live to Ride/Ride to Live...

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It's the Devil's own handiwork! STEP AWAY FROM THE BIKE!!!

After my dad about died from pnemonia after getting suprised by a cold rain storm, my mom would have to agree! LOL

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Agreed with the article..
I don't commute to work, I ride to work. How many others enjoy the process of getting to and from work. Most people dread it.

No wonder poeple comment I am always in a good mood..

Getting caught in a cold rain storm means, when it begins to rain, pull over, put some gear on, ride on and not get pneumonia...simple.

BTW..I consider myself a rider and not a 'biker'.
Bikers ride a couple of miles..go to some bar or 'rally', sit there and pose to show people how 'beautiful' their bikes are, then go home and polish..Meanwhile I RIDE by these 'weekend badass pretenders' by using the tool for its intended purpose..

Eating miles, curves and performance...
15,000 miles in 8 months in CT!! 23 degrees today and I rode to work. Life is good.

4 wheels bad..2 wheels good. Ride safe.

Todd

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
21 miles each way, minimum 42 miles a day which equals 2 hours ride time. I'm smiling when I get to work and I smile as I leave. I sold my car at age 17 and have never looked back. I'm a 4 season biker (though I finally moved to Southern Cali to get a two season year...)

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
21 miles each way, minimum 42 miles a day which equals 2 hours ride time. I'm smiling when I get to work and I smile as I leave. I sold my car at age 17 and have never looked back. I'm a 4 season biker (though I finally moved to Southern Cali to get a two season year...)

21 miles in one hour?? Yuck. Hows that traffic for you??
I agree about the commuting and the smile factor.
I'd love to be a 4 season rider but obviously being in CT, snow and ice can present an issue ;-)

Rdie safe no matter what or how your ride

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
CTKempo Todd said:
21 miles in one hour?? Yuck. Hows that traffic for you??
I agree about the commuting and the smile factor.
I'd love to be a 4 season rider but obviously being in CT, snow and ice can present an issue ;-)

Rdie safe no matter what or how your ride

So Cal traffic man. I stay off the Freeway to avoid... well... the Freeway, so I ride around 40 MPH with traffic lights, but it's worth it.

Keep the shiney side up.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ride most of the year too, I dont own a car.

It sucks when its snowing like crazy, but what can you do? (well, ok Ive been known to beg rides in the snow, or borrow a car... but I wrecked once on my new bike, I dont wanna do it again if I can help it.)

I ride all over, for all kinds of reasons, but I am not a rider, Im a biker. Its about more than the just bike, and how its used. Its an attitude too.

And Todd, the guys you are talking about arent BIKERS, they are HARLEY OWNERS!

LOL!

J/K

heres my ride a few days before the wreck: (it was less than 2 months old!)

99536249_3f2c2e4cf0_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/30/99536249_3f2c2e4cf0_o.jpg

Heres the bike after we stripped it down for repairs:

99534456_df2c79c320_o.jpg

I lucked out and only had to replace the bars, risers, headlamp and tank. Everything else was superficial and easily fixed.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I ride most of the year too, I dont own a car.

It sucks when its snowing like crazy, but what can you do? (well, ok Ive been known to beg rides in the snow, or borrow a car... but I wrecked once on my new bike, I dont wanna do it again if I can help it.)

I ride all over, for all kinds of reasons, but I am not a rider, Im a biker. Its about more than the just bike, and how its used. Its an attitude too.

And Todd, the guys you are talking about arent BIKERS, they are HARLEY OWNERS!

LOL!

J/K

heres my ride a few days before the wreck: (it was less than 2 months old!)

Heres the bike after we stripped it down for repairs:

I lucked out and only had to replace the bars, risers, headlamp and tank. Everything else was superficial and easily fixed.

John,

That is so true. I read somewhere that the average Harley person puts on 5000 miles a year on their bike and the rest put on about 2000 miles.

Yet, form my personal experience, even theri scheduled rides are to places that serve alcohol. Now, I am not against a beer, just not while I plan to be out on my bike. I also did not want to spend 3 to 4 times the cost of my bike for the same style or type of cruiser. My Bike is built in Ohio by Union guys, they can bite me, if that is not good enough, as I paid for it and, it is the most comfortable to me given the proportions.

My First year I put about 8k miles on and then about 4k each the next two. The big difference is that I did not take any really big bike trips.

Now I cannot wear my work clothes and be warm in the winter, and I also have to drive at least 32 miles to work and sometimes get calls to be at other locations, so it gets difficult during the snow season. Yet, I still love it, and enjoy the ride in taking back roads, with trees and leaves that cover the road like a canopy. It is beautiful and nice ride. (* Although wet leaves are bad as well ;) *)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I also did not want to spend 3 to 4 times the cost of my bike for the same style or type of cruiser.

Right?

I bag on my harley friends all the time about teh cost of their bikes... My Yami was 8k, and after my Trade, 6500 out the door.

Compare that to a comparable harley that has the same "bulk" to it.

Uh uh. Maybe if you say "Sportster" but my bike has SO much more beef than my instructor's wife's sportster...

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
well, to speak up for the Halrey owners...

There is a great schism between RUBS and real harley Bikers. Many who like to ride other bikes prefer to lump us all together cause its easier than looking deeply. The term Biker doesn't belong to any one brand - it's a lifestyle, not a social club. You might ride a 500 cc Yamaha or an 1800 V Star - or that 1200 Sportster.

Bikers stop for broken down riders
Bikers raise millions of dollars every year for charities
Bikers take in homeless families after Hurricane Katrina
Bikers ride cause they have to - it's their life

Now as for the brand Harley - Davidson

Harleys maintain their resale value better than any other bike - period. they are the smartest investment - much better than the "cheaper, better imports".

Most of my friends, and me included, put over 20,000 miles a year on our Harleys - many of us like me don't own a cage, and we certainly don't own a trailer - those belong to those "Harley Riders" you were talking about. But you know what? Those guys have their place in life too. We like 'em cause we can buy their bike five years later with 2000 miles on it for 5 grand less than new But with 6000 in extras put on it. We look at those "Harley Riders" as "Rich Royal Star riders" - they just miss the point, but they are good people overall. The "RUBS" don't really seem to like us, but overall, I and my biker friends treat them pretty well. Now don't think that we don't appreciate the other brands and the people that ride them. Like I said, a biker is a biker, but those "Harley riders" would have been better off with a cheaper peice of garage candy.

To all you bikers, riders, and RUBS - I'll stop to help if you ever need a hand, but until then - keep the shiney side up!

PS - you want to meet some real bikers? Go to the Harleychatgroup.com and lurk around for a while. All walks of life, all types of people, all bikes welcome, though it IS about Harleys. You try to flame - your out. Trolls are squashed. It's the most tightknit group of people you'll ever meet. They are fantsatic people, and it's been a pleasure to get to know them and travel to meet them. Tell 'em Trad sent ya!

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh Crap! Forgot something pretty important!

Technopunk - Glad to hear that the accident wasn't that bad. Stay safe.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the only thing I can say about Harleys, coming from a family full of harley riders and having a Yami instead...

1) despite anything I say, Id prolly ride one if I could afford it.

2) My old Yami broke down less (actually never) than My Instructors Harley, and his Wife's Harley... and all 3 bikes were the same year... so I dont regret buying it...

3) I am treated VERY well when I go back to my Yami dealer... Ive heard a lot of stories about the local harley dealers not treating people very well after they made their purchases. (However, I belive that to be an issue with the local dealerships, not an overall harley issue, from stories I have hear from the same people about needing help on the road, and how great the dealerships they called were)

Don't get me wrong... I dont care what kind of bike you ride, Crusier, Sportbike, Dualsport... Bikes a bike.

I like to pick on Harley riders just because of the stereotype... (I cant count the number of "Oil leaks" jabs I have taken at my instructor), and I take my fair share of guff for riding a "riceburner" but when it comes down to it... its all in good fun, and It doesnt stop me from riding with em.

And thanks... the accident was pretty minor, I hit the ground and used my Ukemi skills to roll... wasnt wearing any of my gear when it happened, and still only wound up with a sepearated shoulder...

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is my problems with Harley's besides the cost.

I cannot get one with the right dimensions for my foot to hip ratio. They are all too short.

All my Harley friends, laugh at how comfortable my seat is STOCK, while they spend almost 1K and still are not happy with theirs.

If I could find one that I liked, and would ride because it was comfortable then they would be on the list. Before I bought my ride, I went and sat on everything I could, and cost was not the first issue, but second. First was comfort and proportions. If I was uncomfortable I knew I would not ride, or enjoy it as much.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Well, the only thing I can say about Harleys, coming from a family full of harley riders and having a Yami instead...

I own both. :wink2:

1) despite anything I say, Id prolly ride one if I could afford it.

i hear this alot. LOL

2) My old Yami broke down less (actually never) than My Instructors Harley, and his Wife's Harley... and all 3 bikes were the same year... so I dont regret buying it...

Well my yami is a '78 so it's a lot less reliable than my Harley, but I know what your saying.

3) I am treated VERY well when I go back to my Yami dealer... Ive heard a lot of stories about the local harley dealers not treating people very well after they made their purchases. (However, I belive that to be an issue with the local dealerships, not an overall harley issue, from stories I have hear from the same people about needing help on the road, and how great the dealerships they called were)

This is a big one. Either the Dealer is fantastic or absoulutely worthless. there is nothing (in my experience) in between.

Don't get me wrong... I dont care what kind of bike you ride, Crusier, Sportbike, Dualsport... Bikes a bike.

I like to pick on Harley riders just because of the stereotype... (I cant count the number of "Oil leaks" jabs I have taken at my instructor), and I take my fair share of guff for riding a "riceburner" but when it comes down to it... its all in good fun, and It doesnt stop me from riding with em.

Yeah, it can be fun riding the Yami to meet my more "traditional" Harley friends.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Here is my problems with Harley's besides the cost.

I cannot get one with the right dimensions for my foot to hip ratio. They are all too short.

All my Harley friends, laugh at how comfortable my seat is STOCK, while they spend almost 1K and still are not happy with theirs.

If I could find one that I liked, and would ride because it was comfortable then they would be on the list. Before I bought my ride, I went and sat on everything I could, and cost was not the first issue, but second. First was comfort and proportions. If I was uncomfortable I knew I would not ride, or enjoy it as much.

you are absolutely right in your choice. Comfort is really important if your going to do longer rides. I ride a 1200 sporty, and It fits me great. I took it 4000 miles across the country and into Canada last summer- several 500 mile days and I couldn't have done that if it wasn't a comfortable bike.

Though I like my stock seat just fine, tell your friends that Saddleman seats are the way to go. Less than 1K and the most comfortable seats I have ever sat on bar none.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monadnock said:
Great little article. I will have to show my wife, especially since I just bought this.

Wow - between riding that to work and doing the MA's, I should be the happiest, heathiest guy on the planet. :)

SAR is all I have to say. (* SAR = Sweet **** Ride *)

Latest Discussions