Hanging vs. Free Standing Heavy Bags?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
300 DOLLARS!?!??!
There are a few versions of the Cornerman bag stand around. Ringside has several models on their website; prices still start around $200 or so, off the top of my head. And you still need a certain amount of room to set it up and use it.

The freestanding bags are a little more forgiving in space; when you're not using it, it's only as big as it is around, no legs, support arms, etc. But they're kind of a pain if you don't have enough weight holding them in place. They are better for practicing circling, since it's not real common for any hanging bag setup to allow you to really circle the entire bag.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
A hanging Muay Thai bag is simply the best heavy bag out there. After that Hanging bag's are generally better than there free standing counter parts but take up more space generally and are not always as desirable. (ie. apartment or constantly moving)

How is a "Muay Thai" bag different from other hanging bags and why are they better?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How is a "Muay Thai" bag different from other hanging bags and why are they better?

It is the fact that they are considerably longer and therefore allow you
to practice your leg kicks. A good one is generally made out of higher quality materials than something you might pick up somewhere else.

Here is a very good bag.
http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_documents/gear/gear_item.asp?p_id=105

Here is a 7 Ft Bag
http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_documents/gear/gear_item.asp?p_id=54

Personally I have never worked on their seven foot bag. However the six foot bag is very, very sweet!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hanging bags are much better.

Freestanding ones feal "empty" too hit, which they are, you can't really sink a solid hit into them, and if you try to kick them, often you end up knowcking them over. Not to mention the fact that after a few hits it is not where it was when you started.
I have both but my freestanding bag is a TKO which is differant than Century's. The TKO bag has the pole with the spring in the middle like the Ringside bag. The differance is that the Ringside fresstander needs the donut sandbags to support the base while mine has a base that I filled with sand.

The Century base fills with water or sand I beleive but it does not have the pole. Where I have a pole with a spring, they have their base continuing up towards the bag which contributes much to the hobbling. My base is low.

It is lighter than a hanging heavy bag but the spring action makes for good "hooks" as it comes back with a quickness. Mine dosen't hobble like the century model. My base is about16-18 inches high and probably has at least 150 lbs of sand in it. If you like a "springy inya face" bag, it's good. I also have the cobra reflex bag which does similar but at a differant level.

With hanging heavy bags I prefer the double-ended hanging bags to limit the movement.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a video clip of someone working out with a Muay Thai bag.

I like to have the bottom of the bag anchored so that is does not swing quite as much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At home,I train with a hanging bag that is connect to a bag stand.Its cool and all but when I hit it it swings just WAY to much when throwing combinations are out of the question.Right now I have it tried down the the stand to keep the movement to a minimum.

I thought about the free standing bag but I agree with most of the post here in that it would move around way to much as well and hence will do little good for building power.

I think that the Muay Thai bag is the best.It is long enough to practice all heights of attack and it has considerable weight to that you can throw combinations without it swaying to much.Also because of its height,when it does sway you can use it(the swaying) to work on your footwork(follow the bag with your attacks,like you would with a liver partner).

The only down side to the muay thai bag is that it is a bit thinner than the boxer's bag.There for linear based attacks(like the teep,or push kick,side kicks and spinning back kicks) are hard to land,the lack of width of the Muay Thai bag makes it easy for you foot to slip off(Techniques like those should be done using Thai Pads and/or a kicking sheild,a boxers bag of ok if you have someone holding it).

No one bag (just like no one training method) has all of the answers it is best to train with as many different tools(methods) as you can.A heavy bag will build power but not much speed.Focus mitts will build hand-eye coordination and hand speed but no power.A balanced training method is always the best approach.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is the fact that they are considerably longer and therefore allow you
to practice your leg kicks. A good one is generally made out of higher quality materials than something you might pick up somewhere else.

Ahhh OK.

I like the longer bags, too. Never knew they were called "Muay Thai" bags, though. Worked them, just never shopped for one before.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it is the one where the pad is roughly six feet high that just sits on a base then we have one at the St. L school. I love it. Working combos with spinning and turning kicks is the greatest.

Never knew it to be a Mauy Thai bag either.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I feel the hanging bag is best, because you can do more with it. a FSB sometimes gets hard to do some kicks because of the base. HB lets you do groin shots with the knee and hands and in my opinion are more durable then standing bags. ares

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a video clip of someone working out with a Muay Thai bag.

I like to have the bottom of the bag anchored so that is does not swing quite as much.

Whooo... that is one righteous bag!

Slihn said:
The only down side to the muay thai bag is that it is a bit thinner than the boxer's bag.There for linear based attacks(like the teep,or push kick,side kicks and spinning back kicks) are hard to land,the lack of width of the Muay Thai bag makes it easy for you foot to slip off...

True... but that just means you're practicing for both accuracy and power at the same time. The heavy bag where I train is like that (on the thin side, but not as long as the bag in Brian's video clip). So you have to nail the kick dead center, or your foot does slide off and the bag spins... I actually don't mind that (though I did at first!), it forces you to be precise in training the rear-leg side kick, for example...

Last edited by a moderator:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanging bags are much better.

Freestanding ones feal "empty" too hit, which they are, you can't really sink a solid hit into them, and if you try to kick them, often you end up knowcking them over. Not to mention the fact that after a few hits it is not where it was when you started.

I agree as I have used both..The hanging bag is better and a most unforgiving teacher if you make a mistake..

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree as I have used both..The hanging bag is better and a most unforgiving teacher if you make a mistake..

Absolutely. It will punish you for carelessness, especially on a full force kick without footwear... I've had some close calls.