hand techs from TKD

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yestarday class, just a warmp un, a little free kicking and then focus on tae kwon do hand techs (striking), simple but efective, we practiced jab+croos aimed to the face in one motion ( 1,2) then we did jab+cross+hook (1,2,3) the first two punches to the gace and the hook to the rib cage/gut area, then karate chops or han-sonnal-mok chigui aimed to the neck and then batang-son chigui (heel palm strike) aimed to the nose. We finish doing this hand techs using the kicking shields and I really liked.

Something I want to tell is the punches (fists) were delivered ala boxing the karate chops and the helm palm strikes were doing the old way.

Manny

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My instructor always said that the ridgehand (yuk soo) strike was our "hook." It works really well in a jab+reverse punch+ ridgehand combo.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favourite hand techniques for drilling versus pads for entirely practical purposes are:

Single Strikes:
Patangson Chigi - because it's reliable and you can launch people with it
Palkeup Chigi (Forwards) - because you can get your whole body weight forward onto it, and I know it works.
Deung joomeok chigi as in Taegeuk 7 - just because you can get sooooo much whip into it from waist twist, stepping with a loose hip and leg power, and the temple as a target is brutal
Pyonsonkkeut tzireugi (spock fingers, palm to ground) - because I accidentally caught someone with this eye strike once, scratched his cornea horribly, but wow, he dropped instantly and off we went to the hospital. At least I know it works.

Blocks:
Kodeureo Sonnal Makki - because it is versatile
Batangson An Makki - because it is an exaggerated version of a fairly instinctive parrying motion
Hansonnal Makki in all it's permutations - because it lends itself to grabbing

Combos:
The Dwikubi - Apkubi switch with combinations of the above blocks and strikes, seeing how much power you can get forward into the strike through hip movement and weight shift.

Makes for a sweaty basics session.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, you do 1-2-3, but tell me, do you know why you do 1-2-3? Because the persons head is rarely there for the 3. It is teaching something, but do you know what?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Presumably the 3 would go wherever the target goes.

The 3 isnt meant as an offensive element. The 1-2 usually is, but the 3 is defensive. What are you defending against, do you think?
Because after the 1-2, either due to defense, or push back, the head aint there no more.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah, you do 1-2-3, but tell me, do you know why you do 1-2-3? Because the persons head is rarely there for the 3. It is teaching something, but do you know what?

If the opponent slips the cross, the hook still stands a chance of following them.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe read closer? He says #3 is a hook to the ribs, not the head.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Surely you can just simply follow them in to ensure the third shot lands. Watch a boxer, kick boxer, mma guy etc even though it is normal to ensure your feet are planted when you throw a shot to generate the most amount of power, fighters will shuffle, slide, step forward on each shot they take.

In training this then simulates that if the 1st or 2nd or both shots land you have moved forward in order to compensate for the opponents backward movement in order to make sure that your 3rd shot lands.

I have never personally been taught to throw a multiple punch combination and remain static, should always move whether it is a shuffle, slip or step to ensure that your 'punches in bunches' hit the target and you are not simply flailing in the air and wasting energy.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same problem, really. People move when they get hit, assuming they dont cover up or start successfully hitting back. Or fall over.
I always thought the hook was to get them to drop their guard and maybe work on fatigueing them but admittedly my boxing experience is limited. So, are you going to enlighten us. You have had some interesting perspectives in the past.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Surely you can just simply follow them in to ensure the third shot lands. Watch a boxer, kick boxer, mma guy etc even though it is normal to ensure your feet are planted when you throw a shot to generate the most amount of power, fighters will shuffle, slide, step forward on each shot they take.

In training this then simulates that if the 1st or 2nd or both shots land you have moved forward in order to compensate for the opponents backward movement in order to make sure that your 3rd shot lands.

I have never personally been taught to throw a multiple punch combination and remain static, should always move whether it is a shuffle, slip or step to ensure that your 'punches in bunches' hit the target and you are not simply flailing in the air and wasting energy.

If you follow them, their right is often not an open angle. Itd be easier to do another jab, then go from there. Plus. youre opening yourself up to their jab, if theyre retreating. From which they can counterattack. To put it another way, how often do you see a 1-2-3 land, that isnt a 1-2-1-2-3 type deal whilst the other persons up against, say, ropes?

I always thought the hook was to get them to drop their guard and maybe work on fatigueing them but admittedly my boxing experience is limited. So, are you going to enlighten us. You have had some interesting perspectives in the past.

Gnarlie pretty much nailed it. Opponent slips the right hand, you follow them with the hook. It can also work, in a different way, if your opponent ducks.
Its a defensive punch - If youre chasing them, its not going to be much good. Plus, lead hooks are a tad harder to throw whilst moving. If their right was open, youre better off leading with the left hook. Or a right cross followed by left hook. Thats what i was taught, anyway. And ive yet to see it work any differently.

If youre trying to fatigue them, then pin them down. You do that by having good defense and maintaining pressure. If you want them to drop their guard, you need to do more than just go to the body. If you go low, now they can go high. Youre giving them a target. Body shots either need to be in tight, or set up. The only way theyll drop their guard is if theyre set on stopping everything coming at them.

...All from the perspective of a person who did boxing for quite a while. My word is not law, nor do i claim it to be. I just know that 1-2-3 aint that good in offense, and has limited/specific defensive uses. And all told from the perspective of boxing.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a strong impression that there's an exaggerated emphasis on boxing-like techniques in taekwondo (probably due to the influence of sport settings and their limited rulesets). I enjoy the list of favorite techniques made by Gnarlie. When it comes to non-sport applications, open-handed techniques are really efficient. The elbow techniques are also part of taekwondo syllabus, but again they're is largely overlooked.

Latest Discussions