Had to defend myself today always feels horrible having to fight

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So yeah today I was hanging out with my girlfriend in a park area and this guy never seen him before starts hassling us mainly making sexual comments to her. I asked the the guy politely to leave us alone and we went to walk off but he followed us and kept getting in our way. Somehow he knew about my kickboxing and was challenging me to swing for him. I said I had no interest in fighting anyone and he said oh are you scared of me so I just said yes I am.

The he swore and said he'd kill me and reached into his jacket. All I saw as he did was a flash of silver and as soon as I saw that I hit him as hard as I could as I knew he was about to pull a knife on me. He fell after I hit him and grabbed my girlfriend and we ran off. I'm a bit worried about the cops being called because any witnesses might not have seen him going for the knife and he didnt actually have it fully out before I hit him it but it definentely was a knife my girlfriend saw it to so in the end I had to do it and I do think I was right to do it but I do always hate the feeling of having to fight outside the gym or ring.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have gone to the police, he's probably done this before and he will do it again perhaps to a female on her own.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You should have gone to the police, he's probably done this before and he will do it again perhaps to a female on her own.
I was going to but another friend of mine who was in the area and heard what happened said someone had called the police about it and took him away for having a concealed weapon so Im going to go down tomorrow and give a statement that's why I mentioned I was worried about how they'd view it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to but another friend of mine who was in the area and heard what happened said someone had called the police about it and took him away for having a concealed weapon so Im going to go down tomorrow and give a statement that's why I mentioned I was worried about how they'd view it

Your delay probably won't have helped. I can't help with the law either because you have your own, more complicated one don't you? In UK law you would be fine, you defended yourself as you were in fear of your life where a first strike is permitted.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your delay probably won't have helped. I can't help with the law either because you have your own, more complicated one don't you? In UK law you would be fine, you defended yourself as you were in fear of your life where a first strike is permitted.
Yeah it's the same thing here where I am just over worrying about it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's the same thing here where I am just over worrying about it

Find a solicitor to go with you, rather than say something that could incriminate you. If you had gone straight away and reported it, I'd say you would have been fine, it's the delay after finding out that you think he's been arrested that may be the problem. He may have form though which will make it harder for him to say you attacked him, and if he was in fact arrested with the weapon he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
What worries me is how he knew you kickbox? Do you think maybe he was scoping you guys out?

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What worries me is how he knew you kickbox? Do you think maybe he was scoping you guys out?
Doubt it but it's a small area I live in and I fight in front of crowds so it wouldn't be to hard to assume he saw one of my fights

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doubt it but it's a small area I live in and I fight in front of crowds so it wouldn't be to hard to assume he saw one of my fights

That explains why he brought the weapon. He probably figured he'd need it since you can fight better than he can. I guess in a weird way that is a compliment. He needed a handicap to fight you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Glad you and your gal are okay, bro. Best to go report it. Best of luck.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Over all sounds like a good day. Didn't get beaten up and whatever you did to him was enough to stun or hurt him long enough for you to get away. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a reputation for starting problems and breaking the law. The first thing that's going to happen if the police gets involved is that there is going to be a comparisons of character and their will be a check to see if either one of you have a criminal record. If you were with your girl friend then you had a witness. As long as what you say and what your girlfriend says is the same story, you should be ok. I wouldn't worry about the the question if he had a weapon or not because that will be irrelevant. This guy started first with verbal abuse which caused you to walk away. After you walked away he followed, which should be more than enough reason to believe that you were in danger. Your girlfriend was there so if she's asked then she will most likely give off the same assumption that you two were in danger.

If you are in the U.S. you should be fine based on the information you gave. I would do like the others say and still report it. Reporting the incident to the police is basically stating that you were a victim of someone's actions.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That sounds like a scary situation. Based on your description of what happened, it sounds like you tried to defuse the situation and avoid conflict, and only fought when you had to, which both speaks well of you and also should keep you out of any legal trouble.

I do always hate the feeling of having to fight outside the gym or ring

That's a healthy attitude, even if you feel bad right now. It's a lot better than being the kind of person who enjoys getting into fights with people and doesn't feel any remorse about hurting someone.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So went down the police station today and reported it they said the guy was known for starting trouble and a known drug addict. They said I used reasonable force and the witnesses confirm I didn't start it so all good

So he did have form, those types often do and are known to the local police. All good then. :)

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That sounds like a scary situation. Based on your description of what happened, it sounds like you tried to defuse the situation and avoid conflict, and only fought when you had to, which both speaks well of you and also should keep you out of any legal trouble.

That's a healthy attitude, even if you feel bad right now. It's a lot better than being the kind of person who enjoys getting into fights with people and doesn't feel any remorse about hurting someone.
Absolutely I mean I enjoy sparring and competing in the ring but when it comes to a street fight I hate it street fight is totally different to any training situation in karate or kickboxing I just don't understand why people enjoy fighting like that

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
only thing I think you did wrong was feel bad for defending yourself especially when you have your lady with you man you did nothing qrong especially when he expressed he had attentions on doing bodily harm to you and he also when in his pocket to grab something you did exactly what you were supposed to kudos on that man truly but now you are gonna have to be a little more cautious now tbh if that guy has an ego or carrys a grudge he might come back after you bu tother then that you were very much soo in you rights to protect yourself and your lady cause if you hadn't reacted like you did you might not have been here to tell us a story or he might of hurt her as well man after he had done something to you

Latest Discussions