City manager (and MMA fighter) credited with stopping assault

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Props to the City Manager for doing the right thing. Great photo of him behind his desk in a suit (and another of him in the ring putting the hurt on someone).

http://www.ultimateclearlake.com/2010/04/city-manager-credited-stopping-assault

Reed had just left the store about 3:40 p.m. with his 16-year-old daughter and was getting into his car when he heard her say, “Get him daddy.” He looked behind his car and saw Wade, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound man about 15 yards away, throwing his 19-year-old girlfriend to the ground.
Reed told police that at first he thought the two were playing around but then he saw the man hit the young woman at least twice in the face with his fist. Reed said the punches were hard enough that he could hear the impact, and the woman was trying to escape her boyfriend's grasp but he wouldn't let go.
According to Reed, he yelled at the man and started to run towards him. At first, Reed said, the man took an aggressive stance, but as Reed -- who's 5-foot-10 and 210 pounds -- neared, he took off across the parking lot. Reed gave chase and pushed him to the ground, where he held him with a knee in the man's belly and arm raised as a threat until police arrived.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well done indeed, and a clear example of when it is appropriate to involve yourself in a fight to has nothing to do with you.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A true warrior. "Side note" If I were the bad guy and saw Reed coming, I would have ran too.
icon7.gif

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A true warrior. "Side note" If I were the bad guy and saw Reed coming, I would have ran too.
icon7.gif

I was thinking of a couple other thoughts as well. Reed's got a 16-year-old daughter who now knows, with absolute certainty, that her dad's a hero. And anyone she dates had better meet daddy's approval, huh?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of a couple other thoughts as well. Reed's got a 16-year-old daughter who now knows, with absolute certainty, that her dad's a hero. And anyone she dates had better meet daddy's approval, huh?
A picture is worth a thousand words, for sure.
icon7.gif