Great Martial Arts Compilation

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy quotes, and since this is the largest forum for martial arts, it seems according that perhaps it contain this. I figure if everyone posts their favorite quote related to martial arts, and a favorite quote from a martial arts teacher of theirs, this will be something worth time and again. If possible, please give credit for who said it ^^. If you'd like to include your own, feel free, but give credit where due :D

I'll go first to kick it off.

“The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things.”
-Miyamoto Miyazashi

“If you punch your enemy and he isn't knocked out, you aren't punch hard enough.”
-Master Fazel Khan

“Every martial art is but a facet of the greater gem of what the arts represent. If you only look at it one way, how can you ever really claim to see its complete depth?”
-Myself

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rather pompous to quote yourself, don't you think?

Gnarlie

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."
-Bruce Lee

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people call me the space cowboy yeah
Some call me the gangster of love
Some people call me Maurice
Cause' I speak of the pompetous of love
- Steve Miller

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And if a ten ton truck,
Kills the both of us.
To die by your side,
Is such a heavenly way to die.
-- morrisey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
@Gnarlie

What's wrong with enjoying a quote you wrote you enjoy? I have... hundreds I've written but keep to myself.

And what is speaking aloud at all, if you aren't actually quoting yourself. Think of it less in terms of self-indulgence or importance, and more about scholasticism.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I enjoy quotes, and since this is the largest forum for martial arts, it seems according that perhaps it contain this. I figure if everyone posts their favorite quote related to martial arts, and a favorite quote from a martial arts teacher of theirs, this will be something worth time and again. If possible, please give credit for who said it ^^. If you'd like to include your own, feel free, but give credit where due :D

I'll go first to kick it off.

“The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things.”
-Miyamoto Miyazashi

“If you punch your enemy and he isn't knocked out, you aren't punch hard enough.”
-Master Fazel Khan

“Every martial art is but a facet of the greater gem of what the arts represent. If you only look at it one way, how can you ever really claim to see its complete depth?”
-Myself

Huh? "It seems according..."? Hmm...

Oh, and it's Miyamoto MUSASHI, not whatever you wrote there. As to the other quotes, both are rather, well, wrong. The Fazel Khan one is bad in that it promotes the idea of "might equals right", or that power is the ultimate truth... which it isn't. I can hit someone plenty hard, and have them not knocked out... but if I pick a different target, I don't need to hit hard at all to achieve a KO. And the "quote" of yours.... huh? Every art is but a facet? Dude, get over yourself. Oh, but for the record, it's called specialization, and many arts excel at it... so.... no.

I'll add a favourite of mine, though (mentioned it a few times recently, and feel it's apt here as much as anywhere else), again, from Musashi: "Amateur martial arts are a source of serious injury".

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@Gnarlie

What's wrong with enjoying a quote you wrote you enjoy? I have... hundreds I've written but keep to myself.

And what is speaking aloud at all, if you aren't actually quoting yourself. Think of it less in terms of self-indulgence or importance, and more about scholasticism.

I'd think of it less in terms of self-indulgence and self-importance if it weren't so self-indulgent and self-important!!

I sometimes wonder if you're like this in real life, and whether you speak and behave like you write. If so, I can only imagine how people react when you have just left the room.

And if you're going to use long words, it helps if you understand what they mean. Scholasticism, I ask you! In what way is quoting yourself with no sense of irony Scholastic?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mamie's little baby loves shortnin, short'nin
Mamie's little baby loves shortnin bread ...

-- Lux Interior channeling

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Nice Martial Arts compilation you have their. I think i got half way through the first one before i closed the tab."
-Cyriacus, 2013.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If people do not enjoy the thread, it is neither here nor there.

And ah, my quote is just a reiteration from the book of 5 rings. There is no single 'correct' style, and every style represents martial arts as a whole.

'I sometimes wonder if you're like this in real life, and whether you speak and behave like you write. If so, I can only imagine how people react when you have just left the room.

And if you're going to use long words, it helps if you understand what they mean. Scholasticism, I ask you! In what way is quoting yourself with no sense of irony Scholastic?'

As with anyone, we are all different in person than we come across online. And yes, scholasticism, as in of scholarly notation or worth in being recognized. And how I posted would be acceptable at most Universities. Certainly George Mason where I attend, which is why I included and put an emphasis on providing the source. All I did was cite where the quote came from, in the most simple way to cite someone. I didn't post my quote on top, I only supplied that section in this post out of the presumative thinking that others might do the same, yet guise it as someone else. I've seen it often enough on other boards, in other topics to take it into account.

Miyamoto Musashi went by many names. Including Miyazashi, Shinmen, and Bennosuke among many, many others. I just chose to have him quoted in an alternative form of his name. Just pointing that out to the person who pointed out I listed his name incorrectly.

And Cyriacus- what gain is there by submitting my own quotes, apart from expressing how I care about the martial arts? And why does that seem to bother you? Near as I can tell, I'm the only person thus far to not give just a famous quote or joke. Has no one's teacher said anything moving to them? That's kinda what I get out of this post now, which can't be the case. I was really hoping through this thread that other people might have moving words about martial arts from their teachers.

That I might get to see them, because it is worth sharing.But once again its just being used as a means to target me, and well, that may be your point, but wasn't the point of this thread.

And even if you, or others think it pompous, and arrogant; I actually care to see those words, a simple sentence or paragraph which to the person, in their words, defines the arts in their worldview. If you can't care to find that, I have to ask why you are here.

@Chris, you don't have to agree with my teacher's quote. But I do. If you punch someone and they don't go down when your life is in danger, you have not trained your punch well enough.

Or do you want to continually risk yourself by having to hit them again and again to nullify the situation, if that is the only choice available. That was Master Khan's point. If when you use your technique, and they aren't defeated, you have not trained it well enough for the situation you are attempting to apply it to.

Last edited:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And ah, my quote is just a reiteration from the book of 5 rings. There is nosingle 'correct' style, and every style represents martial arts as awhole.
If you are in some way referring that there is a largermartial arts community that supersedes a person’s individual style I may haveto disagree. While many MAists do enjoy discussion with others from differenttraining backgrounds (like the people of this forum) that does not mean thatour individual styles and schools represent anything other than what thosestyles and schools profess to teach.
Perhaps you are referring to the basic camaraderie a MAistcan have with another simply because they enjoy studying fighting techniques,but again, that doesn’t necessarily end up being the case either as manymartial arts are so different from each other you would be hard pressed to findsomething that both parties can discuss on equal terms.

I sometimes wonder if you're like this in real life, and whether you speakand behave like you write. If so, I can only imagine how people react when youhave just left the room.

I think a lot of miscommunication can occur over thewritten word. When I first joined here I thought everyone was a jerk, but itwasn’t until I looked at how I was presenting myself did I realize why I gotthe cold reception I had received. When I was 17 I came on here acting like abig know-it –all. It wasn’t till I shut up and listened to everyone else that Istarted to enjoy my time here. It’s not that I couldn’t contribute; it’s justthat communication is a two way street and sometimes one needs to listen towhat the others are saying and at least go over it in his head before hecontinues to talk.

As with anyone, we are all different in person than we come across online. Andyes, scholasticism, as in of scholarly notation or worth in being recognized.And how I posted would be acceptable at most Universities. Certainly GeorgeMason where I attend, which is why I included and put an emphasis on providingthe source. All I did was cite where the quote came from, in the most simpleway to cite someone. I didn't post my quote on top, I only supplied thatsection in this post out of the presumative thinking that others might do thesame, yet guise it as someone else. I've seen it often enough on other boards,in other topics to take it into account.
Citing yourself in a scholastic fashion shows that youare alluding to a previous work you have written. If I were a published authorand chose to cite myself in a book, it would be so that someone would know thatadditional information can be found elsewhere. People quote things fordifferent reasons such as thinking something is profound, or clever, or funny.Quoting yourself just because you think you came up with something profound,clever, or funny comes off as pompous. If you have something profound, clever,or funny to say just say it.

It’s not like you are going to accuse yourself of plagiarism.

MiyamotoMusashi went by many names. Including Miyazashi, Shinmen, and Bennosuke amongmany, many others. I just chose to have him quoted in an alternative form ofhis name. Just pointing that out to the person who pointed out I listed hisname incorrectly.
Shinmen Takezo, Bennosuke, and Niten Doraku are names Ihave heard associated with Musashi. I have not ever heard of him being calledMiyazashi. I’ve read a lot on Musashi and would like to know what source thisalternate name comes from because if there is good additional information onhim, I’d like to read it.

Has no one'steacher said anything moving to them? That's kinda what I get out of this postnow, which can't be the case. I was really hoping through this thread thatother people might have moving words about martial arts from their teachers.
Personally the best quotes out of my teachers were:
“Do that again, but this time, try not to suck at it.” –TomMaienza
And
“Move with a purpose, don’t just dance around like you’rein Happy Feet.” – Michael Eichenberg

And even ifyou, or others think it pompous, and arrogant; I actually care to see those words,a simple sentence or paragraph which to the person, in their words, defines thearts in their worldview. If you can't care to find that, I have to ask why youare here.
I’ll share what I think about martial arts, but I feel itwould be weird to quote myself as I’m not directing you to anything written orrecorded where I said such a thing. I’ll share my thoughts here:
Martial arts are not about pacifism, self-defense, oreven all about fighting. Martial arts are a way to explore your own self-doubtsand fears so as to become a more powerful and effective person at whatever itis you wish to do with your life.

Others may have a different take on it, but that’s what Ithink is important in MAs. That’s what I get from it that I can’t get anywhereelse.

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Himura for your writing. I feel like I'm actually having a discussion now.

I quote myself out of fear in the future being blamed for taking credit for things I do not duly deserve, when in actuality those things originated with me. That wasn't my motive in this, I just hoped by being completely honest and transparent it might help others feel comfortable to do so as well. Being earnest on the internet can be intimidating for some.

Thank you for quoting your teachers. What I say in martial arts being composed of each style, but greater than any, is akin to, if you excuse me for waning philosophical, the same way what we consider reality to be 'real' when it is actually composed subjectively by each of our individual experiences. And illusions, as it is.

To only train in one style, thinking it is the only way toward betterment, is limiting oneself. For example, when I ask another TKD practitioner what style they use, 9/10 ill hear WTF or ITF TKd, when the answer I am looking for is whether they practice Chang Moo Kwan, Chung Do Kwan, Moo Duk Kwan, etc.

But if what is considered 'Tae Kwon Do' is composed of these different styles, or kwans, and each of these kwans is a different expression of what we would call Tae Kwon Do in general, but none better than the other, each effective, than is it not a valid argument that the differences between the arts is really something relative. I have practiced in a hall where hundreds trained, and all of us were doing tang soo do, and Chung Do Kwan, respectively. Yet we all looked different.

I feel each Martial Art is equal to the other, as martial arts is not about fighting, but rather balance in life, and thereby keeping balance means knowing when to use your art.

As for citing his name as Miyazashi,

And wikipedia also cites his name as such. I could dig deeper, but it is probably the case that musashi and miyazaki are poor translations in both cases of his name from Japanese to English. We do mangle their language badly- they say tsoo-na-me, while we tend to say soo-na-mee.

If it helps, miyazaki is moreso a title than a name, and the author of the book of 5 rings had many titles. From what I can glean online, it means 'to mind the gap' reading his writings, the name is quite fitting I'd say.

This was adhoc research done through google. If you really want I can check out the archives at mason through our online system. I'm just feeling lazy since I just finished 3 finals this week and waited tables from 6 am to now on mothers day.

If it helps, I've never not felt weird about putting my name as a source. I'm too used to bowing to like to take credit. I just do when otherwise I'd be forced to lie. I guess its an honesty/ integrity thing. Guilt complex at least lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions