Great Martial Arts Compilation

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The one punch knock out, as I am no doubt everyone on her knows, is not a myth or a fallacy. However, I would never say that being able to hit hard is the determining factor as to whether it happens. Therefore, stating that if your opponent doesn't go down after your first shot you didn't hit them hard enough is not, in my opinion, a great quote or a decent philosophy to teach or train by.

After all, I am not too sure of the actual values, but approximately it only requires 400lbs psi of power to knock someone out. Although this is obviously an approximation as it depends on the person you are hitting, their skill level, how used to being hit they are as some people have weak chins, others strong. But an average heavy weight can at least hit with 1000lbs psi with pros hitting at up 1800lbs and higher, so in theory, if you have a good fighting background, you have the possibility of striking hard enough to get that one punch knockout.

But, normally we are training with and fighting with people who train as we do and therefore, unless you are lucky, that big shot you are throwing to hit as hard as you can to knock the guy out, if you follow the mentality of you must punch hard enough to score that knock out, will probably never land cleanly, be covered or simply miss.

In all honesty, as has been mentioned previously, your target is more important that the power your strike lands at. You hit that sweet spot, only moving a short 6 inches with your strike and only delivering maybe the approximate 400lbs psi of power more than likely your opponent is going down. Therefore, relying on 1 punch to win all encounters is just unrealistic and possibly dangerous to you as you fight. For example, you put all you effort, focus and power into the single punch and unfortunately it is deflected (like our wing chun friends will no likely pull off with ease) or you miss, you can quite easily unbalance yourself or leave yourself open to counter attacks. Relying on a single punch, or believing that if you hit with a single punch you opponent should fall is quite simply not sensible.

There is a reason that boxers love the phrase 'punches in bunches', as 1, 2 or 3 shots may not land cleanly, but together they can do enough damage or disorientate the opponent that the 4th shot is too much and scores the knock out.

Latest Discussions