Going to the ground...??

Have you ever gone to the ground in a streetfight?

• Yes, it turned into a ground fight.

• Yes, but I got right back up.

• No. Didn't go to the ground.

• Never been in a streetfight.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
out of those of you who've been in a street fight... how many actually went to the ground?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last fight...few years back....

Guy learned, never punch someone in the jaw when they have their teeth sunk into you. :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my one of my altercations I would have rather been on the ground. One guy was waaaaaaaay to big and the other sis hit me over top of a bus seat then scatted a couple more seats back. I couldn't catch him and it didn't really hurt so who gives an F.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only times the fight ever went to the ground was when I was trying to restrain instead of finish. When I wasn't trying to restrain, we might have wound up on the ground but there was no fight left by the time we got there.

Mike

M

MartialArtsGuy

Once, in 7th grade. (i know i was a bad boy :( ) We were punching at each other and i got hit once and freaked out and charged him, tackled him and smacked him around a bit untill other students broke us up.

Wow i feel embarassed bringing that up but it was 10 + years ago and I was a not so nice foolish boy. :D

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
The only time i have been on the ground is when i have had to subdue someone,I was not the one on the bottom so i don't know if that count's. In the line of work i was in.There was fighting just about everyday ! I never let any of them get to the point were they could take me to the ground. A lot of those fight's were with more than one person, so if i went to the ground they would have killed me ! Ground grappeling work's with one adversary. But if your grappling with one and his buddies jump on you, you might as well say your prayer's!! MITHIOS

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK,

Out of 100's of altercations, I can count 4 times I went to the ground.

The first I was alone and trying to get this guy out of the place of business. He shoved me back, and I fell between a door frame. I rolled him over me and he came up with double hands full of hair looking to kick me in the head. I shot forward and came up under his legs. Stood up and he was across my shoulders and back. Down we went again, only this time his head hit the pavement. He was not breathing. I had to slightly move his head to allow breath, yet it was not good. so I took a pen and cleared his tongue. Then his friends cane over and picked him, after I had gone to all that trouble to keep his head and kneck in line.

The next, I was helping a Police officer who was already wrestling a guy a PCB. We wrestled for a few, the guy bit the cop a few times, and I ended up breaking his wrist (* He did not feel it :( *) Backup was called, and with multiple people standing on this guy he finally calmed down for hand cuffs. And I mean standing on him. Full weight on his head, and another on his arm, etc, ... , .

Another time I was bouncing a bar, and went to check out the place next door. They got hit by a bunch of neo-nazi's (* Tattoo's were prevalent of the swastika *) I hesitated a minute to check to see if the girls were going to let loose the Dobbermens. Both of the door men went down. I tried to step in and stop them from kicking them any more. I was able to stop them a couple of times I stepped back onto one of the guys down, and fell. Once I was on the ground I staid there defending myself. And no they never were able to get to a mount or kick me well. I was able to check with my own feet.

Another time there were six guys causing problems and I had asked them to leave. On there way out they stopped to take a swing at one of my 16 year old female employees'. I caught the punch while it was cocked over his shoulder, and grabbed his throat. No one did anything until I let the guy go and he hit the floor knocked out. That is when his friends jumped me. One on each arm trying to drag my jacket over my head and then the third charging in to hit me while the other two were trying to move behind me. I picked up both feet and kicked the charging guy and he went down. So did the me and the two trying to raise my jacket. I had locked my elbows to my side. I looked and and somehow the one behind me had also been knocked down as well. Then someone I did not know stepped up and grabbed one guy, and the other four charged me as I stood up. We went up and down with me elbowing and kneeing and hit them as they were trying the same to me. After the thrid or fourth time I had risen, I said enough is enough cut the crap and just leave. The all tackled and dove at me. All five of us went through a plate glass window. I choose low and the bottom of the window popped out. and swung out. I rolled through, and the fell through the window in different states. I kept rolling and cleared the glass. It was safety glass yet it still paper cut them to ribbons. So, when to police show up I am not cut one guy is out from me the other looks real bad from the unknown and the last four are cut up. The police wanted to arrest me on the spot. I convinced them to wait until I closed, and I woudl come down peacefully. And then the owner would not come after them for the lost income.

In the mean time, a friend shows up, we go out back and spar. I make sure I hit a few times to up the level of contact, and the forget to block. I had some real good welts from him and one good welt from a foot to the ribs when one of them kicked while I was down earlier. Then I went to the police station and let them take pictures :).

Like I said I got lots of stories. I did not count the times I went to the ground trying to avoid being run over by a vehicle. That is not a fight but 100% survival.

I voted No, since the numbers are real low.

J

JDenz

All my fights ended up on the ground anytime I get in a clinch or infighting it usally goes to the ground. Since pretty much everwhere I have ever fought there were always people breaking it up getting the mount and throwing a punch or two was all there was to the fight.

L

lvwhitebir

The only fights I've every been in were when I was a kid and they all ended up as wrestling matches and went to the ground.

WhiteBirch

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't been in a fight in many years...most of my fights stayed standing and ended after a few punches/kicks.

A couple fights I was in didn't end quickly. These were long before I was a Black Belt and during a time when I wasn't training regularly...

One stayed stand-up and was a real bloodbath. The guy was a glue-sniffer and crank fiend and was really stubborn. We were at a party. Had a couple beers... Fight started for stupid ego reasons (and he was being really nasty to my girl). We fought. We stopped. We had another beer. We fought. We stopped. We went outside. We fought. We stopped. I came back inside. Had another beer. He came back inside. Had another beer. We fought. We went outside. We fought. He went down. His brother wanted to fight me. My friends finally put a stop to this nonsense. They guy and his bro left. I went back inside. Had another beer. Now I don't drink so much and I never fight. Now, if I had to fight a guy as drunk, wired, and stupid as this one, I'd take him to the ground and RNC him into unconsciousness to save time and reduce the pain.

One was with a boxer who was a really fast puncher. We somehow went to the ground. I was able to roll the guy over and pound his head into the pavement. Later we became good friends. Sparred a few times over the years. I went to his wedding.

Latest Discussions