Get a degree in Martial Arts

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Now my mom keeps bugging me to go to college but i realy don't want to unless i can take up martial arts and get creit for it. Does anyone know of any colleges iin michigans or does this even around? See the one college i was looking at I thought it was karate but it is just self denfense.

So please help me out

thanks

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there are plenty of schools that give credit for some sort of martial arts course, but I don't know of any legitimate institution that actually awards degrees in martial arts. The best you can probably hope for is some sort of physical education degree.

Cthulhu

S

Shinzu

not unless they came up with a martial arts university or something like that...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Western Massachusetts, there is an area known as the 'Five Colleges'. One of the five colleges is Hampshire College. In this institution, you, as a student, can basically create your own degree program. There is a rumor floating around that one student graduated with a degree in 'Frisbee' (don't let that scare off your mom).

A careful reading of the internet site should begin to demonstrate the possibilities.

www.hampshire.edu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The IU one is just getting what amounts to PE credits. The design-your-own-program is a good idea if your sure that this is what you want. It's not very marketable. You might look at Phys. Ed. instead.

There used to be a college in Virginia with a program but I can't recall which it was!

P

pknox

Originally posted by arnisador
There used to be a college in Virginia with a program but I can't recall which it was!

That was Radford University, and the program was started by a Dr. Jerry Beasley, if I remember the Black Belt ads correctly. I think it no longer exists.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was Radford University, and the program was started by a Dr. Jerry Beasley, if I remember the Black Belt ads correctly. I think it no longer exists
It's still there, or at least Dr. Beasley is still there. The school that I just left is a member of his AIKIA organization. I know they still do their "Karate College" seminar in the summer of the year.
You can check out his organization at WWW.AIKIA.NET and see what that gives you. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
Now my mom keeps bugging me to go to college but i realy don't want to unless i can take up martial arts and get creit for it. Does anyone know of any colleges iin michigans or does this even around? See the one college i was looking at I thought it was karate but it is just self denfense.

So please help me out

thanks

Adam, the whole point of a college degree is it makes you more marketable when you try to get a career.

Think of what career(s) you would like to have, and that should dictate whether you should go to college or not, where you go to college, and what you get your degree in.

Forget about martial arts course in College. You don't need it to be a "professional martial artist," or to open up a martial arts school.

So, I'm curious...what career do you see yourself having?

K

KenpoMatt

by Paul:
Forget about martial arts course in College. You don't need it to be a "professional martial artist," or to open up a martial arts school.
I have to stongly agree with this. Your martial training will teach you what you need to know about the actual practice of your art.

Now, form there you have to decide what you want. Do you want to own & operate a school? Get a degree in business, marketing, entreprenuership, etc.

Want to be a pioneer? Study Kinesiology, bio-mechanics, physics, biology, etc.

Want to do it all? Major in one (Kinesiology), minor in another (marketing). Or, even go for the dual degree if you're up for it.

Find a major to round you out. It'll only make you more knowledgable and marketable in the long run.

Good luck!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many colleges have design your own degree programs. They cater more to highly specialized technical degrees like Forensic Biochemistry, or Biochemistry Engineering or Molecular Bioengineering. These are so speciallized there aren't enough people to start a department for, but if you can get a cericulum(sp) together and get it approved though the departments involved you can graduate with a unique degree. You may be able to pull off a Martial Arts Degree through a college where you can mix an Asian Studies, Foreign Language, History and Physical Education departments. I think the key is making the course load challenging and valid enough to justify a bachelor's degree.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by michaeledward
In Western Massachusetts, there is an area known as the 'Five Colleges'. One of the five colleges is Hampshire College. In this institution, you, as a student, can basically create your own degree program. There is a rumor floating around that one student graduated with a degree in 'Frisbee' (don't let that scare off your mom).

A careful reading of the internet site should begin to demonstrate the possibilities.

www.hampshire.edu

well... this school is accredited. might be an option...

but why would you need a degree in martial arts? your rank is probably validation enough in that respect.
if you want to open a studio, perhaps a business degree would be a good area of study. there are many martial artists out there who are excellent teachers but very poor businessmen, so they go out of business very quickly, even though the instruction they offer is good.

P

pknox

Excellent point, Nightingale.

If I were constructing a major to prepare me for teaching MA and running a school, I would probably select a business one as well, with particular attention paid to any classes that involved starting and running your own business, accounting, and marketing/advertising. I would also probably minor, or at least take a few classes in, exercise science. Finally, if I was going to be teaching children, a couple of classes in educational methods, as well as child psychology and behavior, wouldn't hurt.

The beauty of an approach like that is that if the MA thing doesn't work out, there are still a lot of things you would be prepared to do as a backup.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure what I want to do but if I where to go to collage at INDIANA UNIVERSITY I could get a dergee in martial arts while taking up other things. If I where ever to open a school I know I don't need a degree it would just be an Extra thing to say to parents to you know what i mean . But i hear INDIANA UNIVERSITY is a good school so when I heard about there martial arts program it made me want to look in to it more.

adam
:toilclaw:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IU is an hour from me--I'm down there all the time. Good school.

You're still better off with a martial arts minor and a degree in something more recognizable! But if this gets you to college, that's great!

S

shotmanuk

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Get an all round education that doesn't rely on martial arts.