• Yes, wrestling shoes

• Yes, street shoes

• Yes, some other kind of shoe

• No, just socks

• No, barefoot

Results are only viewable after voting.
F

FiveSwords

I went shoe shopping recently figuring any kind of wrestling shoe I found would work out pretty well.

The ones I ended up buying are nice high-tops with the flat soles, and get pretty decent traction but don't scrape at all when I kick someone. The only other pair I found was a pair of Nike low-tops, which were more comfortable, but the sole was so rugged it would take the flesh off a rhinocerous. Needless to say, they were completely out of the question for sparring. I thought it was a bit unusual that a wrestling shoe would have that kind of wicked tread. :confused:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
all the way:D . I just picked up a new pair a couple of months ago. The only thing is I wish they had them when I was on the mat because they are really comfortable.

P

pknox

jfarnsworth -

I've gone both with and without the wrestling shoes on the mat. While I love the traction the shoes give me, especially when I sprawl, one thing I noticed is that when I'm wearing shoes, I am much more susceptible to a successful ankle lock. When I go barefoot, I seem to have a much better chance at wriggling out. I also find passing my legs over someone harder with the shoes (say when I'm in the guard going for a triangle) because I frequently end up hanging up on the backs of their arms. When I'm barefoot, I can sneak my feet in a lot better.

Outside of the dojo, I LIVE in wrestling shoes. Anything else feels like it weighs about 10 pounds on my feet.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my floor is concreat and No insulatioon on the outside wall and roof. When its below 0 outsde my floor isCOLD I allow shoes when you can freeze water on the floor

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iwear my martial arts shoes but not in the warm months.. they do keep my feet comfy in winter cold though.. we have carpet on the floor and go barefoot the rest of the seasons..

we don't allow any shoes to cross the line to the mats other than martial arts types or wrestling shoes :)

C

clapping_tiger

We can wear what we want as long as they are clean. I wear my street shoes because I feel that that is what I would be wearing if I needed to defend myself so that is what I train in. Just my preference, some like barefoot and some like the Wresteling/Martial Arts shoe. I say if the shoe fits...............hey we all knew someone was going to say that sooner or later.;)

M

MartialArtsGuy

A pair of street shoes just for MA training. I feel naked without them.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok I got to ask what is the difference between westling shoes, martial arts shoes and your normale nike(or what ever brand )running/walking shoe

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wrestling/MA shoes have very flexible soles so you don't lose foot maneuverability.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Me I ware shoes about 25% of the time it is kinda a pain most of the time I am bare foot. It is to hard to spar in shoes. But at times I like wearing shoes cause some times I hurt my feet. But I got a pair of KWON shoes And plan on never buying shoes from them there alot of money and do npt last very long. I plan on getting some wrestling shoes.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boots with spurs
I bet that makes for a wicked guard position.;)

I used to wear wrestling shoes for kenpo. We're not allowed to wear shoes in the dojo for aikido. The only problem I ever had with wearing shoes in the dojo was binding on the carpet and torqueing a knee out. I will occasionally wear my work boots when I train here at home to get the feel of what they will do for me.... they're size 13 steel toed Wolverines and they feel like they weigh 10 pounds because they do weigh 10 pounds:mad:

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I train barefoot -- but I would like to buy some decent wrestling shoes and start training in them...my current club does allow shoes.

My usual shoes are quite lightweight, so a decent pair of wrestling shoes would equate to them fairly nicely.

Besides which, the gym floor we work on right now is none too good. Stupid blisters.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lets face it guys it's most likely you'll be wearing shoes when you get into an altercation. So it's nice to practice every so often wearing the clod hoppers of choice. If it happens to be boots that weigh 10 pounds then you should know what they feel like when fighting with them on.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The majority of my training is with wrestling shoes. They suck when it comes time to turn when kicking, but I guess you can't have everything!:D When I'm outside, I'm in sneakers.

Mike

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I train barefoot, but I am the only one at our school who does - 15 years ago we were all barefoot but sensei, who wore martial art shoes - but in the last decade, everyone else has followed suit.

In the winter, when I train outdoors I wear shoes - but just street shoes. my feet are too big and destroy the flimsy MA shoes really quick. Plus, I wear sandles most of the time out of the dojo...

Latest Discussions