How fights get to the ground?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree, however-I didn't say they weren't needed. I sated that they, or all arts have pros and cons. And from From my experinces and observations, most fights do not end on the ground. I did not state that I hat not seen any.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that 80% of all fights do end up on the ground. Reason being, people making each other lose their balance and footing.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, not from what I had observed. There are a lot of factors than losing footing and balance. Like for instance, what caused the loss of footing and balance? What was the terrain or environment? Was there space enough for a ground tactic? What technique was thrown? How was it thrown? Who threw it? How much power did it have? Was the receiver knocked out? Did some people step in and stopped it? etc...

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last week, in sparring, my Saobmnim said I had improved even over just a few weeks. I thought of what he could mean because he also said my roundhouse kick was labored and forced nad for myself I didn't think my evasion and countering was as string as when I had been more focused on it.

So I asked him what he meant and in return he asked me 'how many times did you fall down? how many times did you attack off balance? How many times did you try to throw an attack as you were falling backwards?' Reflecting on his questions, I realized that even though I hadn't really noticed it because I was focused on tactics and techniques, my footwork, my balance and control and footing, had improved quite a bit. One other thing he as emphasized to me is the importance of keeping my back straight and upright, even on spinning kicks or forward movement, to maintain balance.

Just thinking that balance and footing is something you can be good at, develop, practice, improve.

I think some training styles emphasize the importance of staying upright for good balance and motion so they are naturally going to want to in a fight, and be better at it. Some styles don't require that, I would think, so it's not as important and not as well developed.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am not ruling out groundwork. Heck, our higher ranks spar for 3 minutes with a "almost anything goes" bout. They start tussling around the room and on the floor. But, then one of the senior instructors comes in and his first strike lands and almost knocks out his opponent of almost equal rank..

So I guess, if someone is knocked-out, it can be ruled that all fights end on the ground. :)

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the fights that I have been witness to, occured either at parties or bars, and most of them ended up on the gound at one point or another. I am not sure as to the reason, but if I had to guess, I would say that it has to do with intoxication and gravity.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
but if I had to guess, I would say that it has to do with intoxication and gravity.

Well, gravity can't be helpd, although I have lost weight in practicing TKD.

Fortunately, though, as a musician who's time in clubs is spent either playing or listening to others play, I don't drink much if at all.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...I play six string fretted and fretless bass guitar.

My current projects/invovlements are:
Saturday nights I play at a club in a hotel from 9-12. The music is swing jazz, latin jazz, bossa nova, and blues. This is a combo of piano, drums, and I, plus various percussionists, singers, sax and harmonica players, etc... The piano player and I and another percussionist do other gigs occasionally
Occasionally I play with a Christian band. Two singers who play guitar, drums, and myself. The music is original and heavily folk/pop influenced
I've started my own project knowns as "The R4H Project" or "Reason For Hope", it's a sorta a jam band with drums, guitar and bass doing instrumental music starting with some simple, funky, jazzy, or progressive-rock grooves I've written and going off into some heavy improvisation

S

Siphus

Yeah, every last one of the fights ive been in (not saying there have been many) have never ended on the ground, in fact, the only time anyone was on the ground was when i was thrown to it by a few guys. I dont know where the 80% people always talk about come in... Maybe feet-touching count in their statistics?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that 'some-high-number% to the ground' came from police statistics and were used by BJJ and ground-grappling proponents to support their style of art.

Problem is, the police statistics were biased because the goal of police officers in subdueing and restraining aggrssors were a bit different and they were intentionally forcing people to the ground to cuff them

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Basically, what I am saying that if it is in a public place, per a bar, a bouncer, or police officer on detail, or on the way, or others, (per opposing groups) would stop it. In the case of a parking lot, people are scrambling to get into their cars an go before it either escalates or the police come. In other cases, weapons are used. And I dont care how good you think you are, if you think you wont ever get hit to the brink of incohesion,-think again. What's more, who wants to end up on the ground if a loved one is nearby? How to you protect their safety while you are "rolling about" in the dirt like a boar? If your striking skills are really good, your abilties really refined, then the ground is where you will least likely be.

A

agatanai atsilahu

This is true, but if somehow the universde shifts, the planets align, and the gods of thugs everywhere are in sync, chances are you can still end up on the ground. In the event that should occur, we should at least be familiar, if not accustomed to that situation, as to be prepared to handle it to the best of our ability.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
agatanai atsilahu said:
This is true, but if somehow the universde shifts, the planets align, and the gods of thugs everywhere are in sync, chances are you can still end up on the ground. In the event that should occur, we should at least be familiar, if not accustomed to that situation, as to be prepared to handle it to the best of our ability.
Oh, I am not ruling out the need. Versitility is the best.

A

agatanai atsilahu

Sorry. I wasnt trying to imply you thought it wasnt necessary, just stating it more as a reminder to all reading the thread. No offense intended.