Going solo for now...

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So as luck would have it, I wasn't able to make the committment I wanted to the gym I decided on joining. In a nutshell, the family situation I mentioned in past thread has become as such that, it would be best for me to not make any membership committments to any gyms for a while (perhaps until the end of the year.) The only gym I could possibly join wuld be 24, thanks to the fact that they're (usually) 24/7. However that sort of leaves the martial arts aspect of my life somewhat unfulfilled.

That said, is it possible to maintain (and maybe even improve) on the skills I do have until things settle? At best, I might be able to find a weekly training partner, but for the most part, my schedule will keep me to myself. So at least I can work on the application of technique with someone else. I'm sure I won't be learning any new skills, but would consistent, mindful practice perhaps strengthen my foundation?

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That said, is it possible to maintain (and maybe even improve) on the skills I do have until things settle? At best, I might be able to find a weekly training partner, but for the most part, my schedule will keep me to myself. So at least I can work on the application of technique with someone else. I'm sure I won't be learning any new skills, but would consistent, mindful practice perhaps strengthen my foundation?

I think if you practiced nothing but basics and the things you already know, it will help you tremondously when you return to your training. Keep going over it and perfect it and the rest will come easy when you return. Basics is the foundation, everything else is just gravy.

Good luck!
icon7.gif

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know much about FMA, maybe MJS has some advice on being able to solo train in that. Anyway, I would say that it is always a good idea to try and keep up with training. When I have to train alone I practice shuriken throwing, sword cuts, bo kata, falling and rolling, and I go to the YMCA to use the elipticals or other equipment to try and get into shape.

If you practice on your own consistently I think you can maintain your current level of skill, but I don't see how you could improve beyond that until you have time to get back to normal training with other students and a teacher.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
That should not be a big problem if you stick to the things you know, and repeat those over and over. After all, that is a big part of what you would do already.

I do the same thing, even though I go to class every week: repeat the basics, over and over and over.
I don't know your art, but depending on the specifics, you could perhaps work out on your own, and then visit your sensei once per month to have him look at your forms / techniques, correct you where necessary and give you something new to train.

Of course this will depend on you art and your teacher, but it could be an option. And even if it isn't, if you repeat what you know already, you will get better.

Masshiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
training by yourself would probubly be a good thing for you. but i do have a question, what are your goals for martial arts. depending on what your goals are would help you determine how you would continue your training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So as luck would have it, I wasn't able to make the committment I wanted to the gym I decided on joining. In a nutshell, the family situation I mentioned in past thread has become as such that, it would be best for me to not make any membership committments to any gyms for a while (perhaps until the end of the year.) The only gym I could possibly join wuld be 24, thanks to the fact that they're (usually) 24/7. However that sort of leaves the martial arts aspect of my life somewhat unfulfilled.

Looks like you're received some great advice already, so all I can do is echo that. :) Keep training what you know already. I forget what art(s) you do already, but like the basics, keep working what you already know. Its better than nothing. When I was in transition between Kenpo schools, I still kept training. I'd run thru techs, katas, etc. There will be some things that you may need a partner for, but it is possible, depending on what it is, to do it in the air, on your own.

As for fitness training....even if you didn't want to join a gym, there are a number of things that you can do on your own. You can purchase a set of dumbells and a bench. With dumbells, you can pretty much cover every body part. Resistance bands are another option, although I've never used them. You could get a chin up bar, and from what I hear, that P90X set is very good. For cardio, walking or jogging is a great way to build stamina. I purchased a weighted vest that is adjustable to 40lbs. They have ones that go higher, but of course the heavier it is, the more $$$ it costs. Throw that on and go for a long walk. Trust me, you will get a great workout from that alone.

I hope that was a help. :)

Mike

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For your martial arts training -- practice basics. Slowly. Focus on the really integrating the small pieces to what you're doing, and you'll progress.

Repetition. Do 'em over and over and over. But not mindlessly; be focused on what you're doing, and putting those basics together across the spectrum of your training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Ok, just remembered that you're doing the FMAs. Much of that will require another person, but there are still some things that you can do on your own, by going thru the motions. Dont know if any of these will work for you at the moment, but here are a few options...

1) If joining a school is out of the question at the moment, perhaps you could take some private lessons.

2) If you did find a school and took a few privates, that may open the door for you to meet other students from that school. If others were interested, you may find a small group who'd be interested in getting together outside of the school, for an informal workout.

3) Talk to other FMAists in the area. You may be fortunate to find someone who has a garage or backyard group. It wont be an official school, but who cares...its still training. I met a good friend at my Kenpo school. He didnt do Kenpo but he brought his daughter. We started talking one day, after I saw his throwing some strikes on the heavybag. I had some of my best workouts in his backyard and garage.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as you continue to train, you will continue to progress.

Use the resources and wealth of knowledge you do have access and build your integrity on that for now. Create a lab for yourself and go in there for a while. Study and practice and you wont skip a beat.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. Please keep them coming.

As for my background and goals, my base art is in FMA, which I've done for a little over a decade. My basics are pretty solid, though my goal in practicing them (with and without a partner) would be just to improve on that foundation, such as clean technique, as well as speed and power. I also have experience in other arts which I've done to compliment that training, which I can stand improve upon also.

Oddly enough, for once money isn't the issue in me being able to train anywhere. It's the schedule, which currently is a conflict. I did consider doing private lessons, but my days off are pretty much directed towards helping my family out at this time. I'm trying to look at it as a temporary thing, and once everyone's fully recuperated, I can join a MA gym/school.

As far as what my goals in martial arts are, I'm really focused on trying to get better. I do want to be involved in something that allows for some bit of competition, since I truly do believe a healthy dose of it does help us to grow. I'm not looking to be a pro fighter or anything, though I'd probably give it consideration, if it a) helped me to grow as a martial artist, and b) allowed me to really help my family out. Like I said, I'm focused on trying to get better- and not just in a fighting or self-defense context- but just overall as a martial artist.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here is a goal I forgot to mention.

My past experiences with martial arts have been tainted with a lot of better-than-that-style or only-for-this-group mentalities, and I really want to transcend all that. I've always believed that martial arts were for anyone willing to REALLY learn them, but a decade of "sir, yes sir" can still takes its toll on a student.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Try immersing in merely the principles of striking and throwing and breaking... most often there are 100 different techniques but only 1 principle.
There is no better or worse... there is only what works in actuality and what does not. Reality can really only be guaged by individual perception so one instructors reality may not be anothers or your own for that matter.
Being alone you are free from outside or contrary influence.... you are at liberty to train what you know works for you.

Latest Discussions