Solo Training

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
My club will soon be having a break over the University holidays, but I don't want to have a break from training. Since there are no decent dojangs in my area, I need some tips on training solo.

I practice tkd, so generally I want to focus on my anaerobic and aerobic fitness and general muscle strength alongside my techniques. Since I don't have any equipment (though I'd like some advice on which I should buy, on the cheap, for solo training) I'd like to know what sort of training I can do without them. However, I do have a gym within walking distance, just no martial art specific equipment.

I've tried training on my own, but I just can't seem to give it any structure and just end up wasting my time.

I'll also have a lot more time on my hands, so I plan to immerse myself much more than I normally do. I currently train three times a week and go to the gym for cardio at least twice a week.

Training ideas/outlines/tips etc would be much appreciated.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My club will soon be having a break over the University holidays, but I don't want to have a break from training. Since there are no decent dojangs in my area, I need some tips on training solo.

I practice tkd, so generally I want to focus on my anaerobic and aerobic fitness and general muscle strength alongside my techniques. Since I don't have any equipment (though I'd like some advice on which I should buy, on the cheap, for solo training) I'd like to know what sort of training I can do without them. However, I do have a gym within walking distance, just no martial art specific equipment.

I've tried training on my own, but I just can't seem to give it any structure and just end up wasting my time.

I'll also have a lot more time on my hands, so I plan to immerse myself much more than I normally do. I currently train three times a week and go to the gym for cardio at least twice a week.

Training ideas/outlines/tips etc would be much appreciated.

The opportunities that I have to train solo, I tend to really concentrate on my forms (I'm currently studying tkd myself) and basic strikes and kicks (can never practice those enough in my opinion). I warm up with stretching and jumping rope to warm my joints up, then do some body weight exercises pushups, pullups (if there is a bar available), situps, etc....
A good inexpensive exercise equipment that I would recommend would be the exercise bands. They're light weight, can travel anywhere and will provide a decent pump to your muscles. I hope this helps out.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
As training is highly specific, I would second the advice offered by sfs982000.

There is no better way for a a TKD practitioner to train solo, IMO, than doing forms (especially with no equipment available!)

The lower forms (Il Chang / Chon Ji) make a great warmup and prepare you for the more advanced forms.

The advanced forms, if done correctly, should be physically challenging enough to provide both anaerobic and aerobic conditioning.

Forms have the structure you need.

The other thing you might consider training is kicks. After all, if you want to be good at kicking (and what TKD pracitioner doesn't want to be?), there is no better training that KICKING.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where are you located? Maybe someone knows someone or someplace you can visit and get in some good training. Even if the place is not TKD there are some training regimens that cross all styles that would be to your benifit.

OP
J

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Melbourne Australia.

Forms, why didn't I think of that? This way I won't need to be in a mad rush pre grading haha too. Good idea.

Any ideas on what sort of conditioning exercises I should focus on? I want to increase my overall strength and speed alongside my techniques.

I guess I should invest in a long punching bag that's suitable for kicks?

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
Get a bag hung if possible. It's almost a required solo training tool. I also like the double ended bag quite a bit for speed, accuracy, and head movement.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Melbourne Australia.

Forms, why didn't I think of that? This way I won't need to be in a mad rush pre grading haha too. Good idea.

Any ideas on what sort of conditioning exercises I should focus on? I want to increase my overall strength and speed alongside my techniques.

If your in the north eastern suburbs, hit me up via pm. If your interested.

If you can, ask one of the other students in your class if they would like to do some training over the holidays. If you can find a like minded student, it opens up the possibilities. Head over to their house, or they can head over to yours, or you could meet in a public training area. They can come up with half of what you're going to do; less work for you, and if you're doing forms, get them to scrutinize you. And if they happen to have training equipment: bonus!

If you can't I would suggest definitely stretching every day, some running and swimming, particularly interval sprints, as well as some plyometric training.

And if you're feeling wacky, take a dance class. :D

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Melbourne Australia.

Or outer East PM me.
icon7.gif

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Melbourne Australia.

For ocnditioning...you could do a lot of the crossfit stuff with minimal equipment.

Maybe get a kettlebell...that'll work strength, speed and conditioning all in one. Mix in some interval or tabatta training in there and build the cardio. Run stairs, do sprint intervals, etc. Tons of options....

Look at www.crossfit.com and www.rossboxing.com for ideas of routines you coudl do for combat related conditioning.

basically, write down some routines and make yourself do them. Wihtin a week or two, it'll be more of a habit. Mix conditioning up with forms, kicking drills (on a hanging bag if oyu can get one) and you're golden. Even if you find a place ot train with people, doing solo training on non-dojang days is immensely helpful.

Peace,
Erik

OP
J

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've got a group of us together and we are able to use the boxing room at our university gym, so problem solved. Still... I intend to start some solo training on my own anyway. Thanks for the advice.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We like to watch all kinds of martial art videos (the training ones) and view many different arts and styles...many times you will see something that you may want to adopt and learn a few new things also..

Reading all kinds of Martial art books, literature and other materials....good for those solo times too..

besides the physcial parts of training....."learn to breath" maybe some form of mediations too? ...

...solo? ...something you do by yourself....with people watching or not!

...we like solo fishing alot and when bowling by ourselfs? ..we always win...well sometimes?

Aloha,

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Practice things in the thousands concentrating on form. 1000 Front Kicks, 1000 Side Kicks and so on. But practice forms first. And remember, there's no use doing it if you are not gonna do it right, nobody's there to check your form so pay attention.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I practice some kata but spend most time on basics. Do some bag work and stretch.

Try to get someone to work out with, it makes it so much easier. Hard to practice real hands on technique when there's no one there.

Just stay up on your form, stay up on the basics and cardio cardio cardio.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Practice things in the thousands concentrating on form... And remember, there's no use doing it if you are not gonna do it right, nobody's there to check your form so pay attention.

That's the real problem with not having an experienced person around to check out your technique. To get it down, you've got to "practice in the thousands" as Omar said. But if you do thousands of reps wrong... you've just ingrained bad habits, or worse you could risk injury.

Latest Discussions