Mcdojo school vs mcdojo student

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
whos to blame ?

cause theres plenty of bad students that go to good schools ...

and theres plenty of bad schools with good students ...

:flame:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Society is to blame plain and simple, you se they are the ones that tell you no child left behind or you can fire me because I am stupid or even I am here so I must have learn something for that belt. The all mighty dollar and greed.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think new students are to blame. Most people who are new to Martial arts do not know what is true or not.

It is vital that if someone is considering doing a Martial art to research the art,ask others for advice,and research the teachers claims.

It is the same as if buying a car and going to a car dealership.

Last edited:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
whos to blame ?

:flame:

One could be cynical and say that good schools knowingly accept bad students so they can pay the bills to keep the dojo open for the good students. But it is also possible that under good teaching and training, a bad student may become a good one.

A bad school with plenty of good students? Where would that be? I have never seen such a thing. There is always the exceptional person who will thrive most anywhere, but these are rare exceptions.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mostly the blame is on the teacher, because they are misrepresenting themselves, be it achievements, quality or history.

But some of the blame goes to the students as well, because they unquestioningly accept whatever they get told. After my first lesson, but before I signed up, I did a lot of research to make sure that I wasn't signing up with a bunch of 'ninjers'.

Sadly, the mere existence of a significant number of ninjer schools with zealous students who accept the hokum hook, line and sinker, proves that many people just don't want the truth because the lie is too sweet (Wizard's first rule, for the Terry Goodkind fans).

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
"there is no bad student! only bad teacher!"

--mr. miyagi

Masshiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
me and the people i train with have talked about this allot, there are accualy good students in bad dojos though they are rare but only in comparaison to the numbers of schools out there. there are good things that come from mcdojos but it is mostly for children. it teaches children to be apart of a team, respect for others, and to focus. if the person training in a mcdojo he will realise at some point that he/she has learned all they can from that school and move on.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
whos to blame ?

Firstly, you are starting with the premise that a McDojo is automatically bad. There are some where the instructional staff's teaching ability and martial skill is as good as the owner's business skill.

Secondly, a student is a good student or a bad student regardless of what school they are attached to. That has to do with the individual, not the school.

Thirdly, the only reason for a McDojo to exist is as a money making vehicle. If the instruction is good, then that is a nice bonus, but the owner's main concern is the financial viability of the school.

In any other small business, a flourishing business is looked upon with respect and admiration. In martial arts, the more commercially successful the school, the more suspect it becomes.

This is because we do not have the benefit of structured martial arts having been a part of our mainstream culture for hundreds of years. For one, our country is only 233 years old, give or take. Some martial arts have histories that are older than our nation. Martial training in our country is much more compartmentalized: soldiers and police officers train to fight and take down bad guys. Boxers and wrestlers train to beat them up or submit them. Auto mechanics train to fix cars. Programmers train to program.

Only in comparatively recent years, roughly the eighties, has it become commonplace for regular people to take up a martial art, but they are mainly taking them up for fitness and personal improvement reasons, not for self defense or fighting prowess. This is not automatically bad; we bemoan the expanding waistline of America, so in that respect, martial arts can be part of the solution.

The fact that we do not have a military service requirement makes the divide even greater, as without military service, most people who are nonpractitioners have no frame of reference outside of television and movies to even know what a good school or a skilled practitioner looks like.

Daniel

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Firstly, you are starting with the premise that a McDojo is automatically bad. There are some where the instructional staff's teaching ability and martial skill is as good as the owner's business skill.

Secondly, a student is a good student or a bad student regardless of what school they are attached to. That has to do with the individual, not the school.

Thirdly, the only reason for a McDojo to exist is as a money making vehicle. If the instruction is good, then that is a nice bonus, but the owner's main concern is the financial viability of the school.

In any other small business, a flourishing business is looked upon with respect and admiration. In martial arts, the more commercially successful the school, the more suspect it becomes.

This is because we do not have the benefit of structured martial arts having been a part of our mainstream culture for hundreds of years. For one, our country is only 233 years old, give or take. Some martial arts have histories that are older than our nation. Martial training in our country is much more compartmentalized: soldiers and police officers train to fight and take down bad guys. Boxers and wrestlers train to beat them up or submit them. Auto mechanics train to fix cars. Programmers train to program.

Only in comparatively recent years, roughly the eighties, has it become commonplace for regular people to take up a martial art, but they are mainly taking them up for fitness and personal improvement reasons, not for self defense or fighting prowess. This is not automatically bad; we bemoan the expanding waistline of America, so in that respect, martial arts can be part of the solution.

The fact that we do not have a military service requirement makes the divide even greater, as without military service, most people who are nonpractitioners have no frame of reference outside of television and movies to even know what a good school or a skilled practitioner looks like.

Daniel

Well this is one good thing about certain sport based schools. MMA training schools or camps have their methods tested in open competition. The most successful camps are the ones who produce the most successful and balanced ( mentally happy) fighters. I think this is a case of good coaches who have come up through the sport themselves and are teaching to pass on knowledge Not to make boatloads of cash, even though they may well do so.
lori