Going out?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kacey said:
I agree with awareness. Shortly after I recieved my I Dan in TKD, I was in downtown Denver late at night (after a midnight comedy show) with a group of friends. The shortest route back to the parking lot we all used was through an unlit alley. One of my friends wanted to short-cut through the alley, and said "Karen's a black belt, she'll protect us" - my answer was "What do you think I am? Stupid? I'm going around the long way, where there are lights!" Being able to defend oneself includes knowing how to avoid situations in which self-defense becomes necessary.

Yup...avoiding potentially dangerous situations cuts down the chances of having to defend oneself. And yes, no one is invincible...not even black belts. ;)

Not only do I always dress comfortably (at least enough for me to bolt if necessary), I also carry myself confidently. The way you project yourself can also help put off a potential attacker. I also carry a small folding knife (a Kershaw Scallion) in my pocket, which I'm ready to pull out at a moment's notice, but I rather not put myself into a situation where I actually might have to use it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
"Karen's a black belt, she'll protect us" - my answer was "What do you think I am? Stupid? I'm going around the long way, where there are lights!" Being able to defend oneself includes knowing how to avoid situations in which self-defense becomes necessary.

A most intelligent answer...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup. When I was younger I once made the other choice and was jumped by three guys, one with a knife. If I had played it smart I would not have been at risk at all, but I was lost in thought and not paying attention to my surroundings.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to get a nice little 2 mile jog in on Saturday Mornings, it just makes me feel better when I go out on Saturday nights. More relaxed, more flowing; call me crazy, or may be it is just habitual, but it does make me feel better and more akin to my surroundings.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wehn I used to play Saturday nights at the jazz bar, I would usually spend time Saturday afternoon puching my heavy bag before getting ready (including a shower!)

I think part of it was to remind myself how to strike hard

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
No, but I do stop and think about whether what I'm wearing is too constricting to allow me to fight.

This is interesting as before i go for a major night out i will make sure i wear some lose trousers and practice kicking with them. If i'm not driving my friend will pick me up from the bus stop and while I'm there i will practice some techniques. But saying that I can't stand still so I'm always practicing in form or another!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hardly ever drink and I try to keep aware of what is happening around me so that i don't get in the way and i know where my friends are. I never drink to excess so i have my wits about me.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok...If I missed something in some of these pages I apoligize, because I only read the first one...

But I have a list of "opinions" about the topic

1.) If you are keeping up with your training and do what Sensei says, then your either A.) Working out in the moring...Or B.) working out at some other point in the day...Myself working third shift I usually do my own little workout in my room, work on the bag a little bit, and if the weather is nice, I'll go jogging, so if you are doing well in your training then you shouldn't have a problem about being strong, loose, or etc...because you would already know you are, because you will come to know your body better with proper conditioning.

2.) If you go out thinking there will be trouble, there will be trouble. don't be too worried with the what may or may not happen, just go out and let the good times roll. Because if you are a true martial artist, and have been training for quite sometime then everything you have trained hard on has now become instinct and your tools will activate as soon as you need them.

All in all, sure its good to be ready...But there is a problem with being too ready...and thats called paranoia.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
I hardly ever drink and I try to keep aware of what is happening around me so that i don't get in the way and i know where my friends are. I never drink to excess so i have my wits about me.

I drink like a troper when im out,yet still manage to keep my amazing 6-pack,the advantages of being a youngen hey,plus though I have faith in my art I'v done muay thai for a while know and have faith in my 'muscle memory'.I wouldnt stretch or anything before i go out.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of this prep work should be done on a daily basis even if you aren't subjecting yourself to the dangers of the public. If you only do it before special events the efforts would be quite fruitless and even dangerous. Picking and choosing times to act on our insecurities defeats the purpose of being ready at all times. Setting up a unique public attitude may invite a fight. Just a thought.
Sean

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unless you happen to socialize in South Central LA or some kind of legitimately dangerous area, imo it is absolutely crazy to worry about fighting every single time you go out. This is the very definition of insecurity and paranoia. Trying on clothes and shoes and practicing kicks before leaving the house? No offense, but I have to agree with some of the previous posters here - this kind of attitude may very well invite trouble. Hearing about this stuff makes me wonder if there are Van Damme fantasies spinning in your heads. Again, no offense intended.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
Unless you happen to socialize in South Central LA or some kind of legitimately dangerous area, imo it is absolutely crazy to worry about fighting every single time you go out. This is the very definition of insecurity and paranoia. Trying on clothes and shoes and practicing kicks before leaving the house? No offense, but I have to agree with some of the previous posters here - this kind of attitude may very well invite trouble.

Ditto :)

Getting attacked is a very rare thing, worrying about it all the time is unhealthy, it creates stress and paranoia. Last I checked these where not the goals of martial arts training.

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
Unless you happen to socialize in South Central LA or some kind of legitimately dangerous area, imo it is absolutely crazy to worry about fighting every single time you go out. This is the very definition of insecurity and paranoia. Trying on clothes and shoes and practicing kicks before leaving the house? No offense, but I have to agree with some of the previous posters here - this kind of attitude may very well invite trouble. Hearing about this stuff makes me wonder if there are Van Damme fantasies spinning in your heads. Again, no offense intended.

I don't think I agree. I live in a very safe city, am very personable and can keep my cool when somebody is being aggressive towards me. I will, on a rare occasion, go out to a bar to dance and drink my face off. It's the only place to go and dance and I always have a great time. Some people however, are just jerks and are out to cause trouble. Keeping this in mind while out can keep you out of trouble and is not paranoia or insecurity. I always look around and make sure I spot the trouble makers (you can see them a mile away if you look). I spend the rest of the night having a good time and avoiding them as they walk around bumping into people and picking fights. Loose clothing???, more comfortable for one and if I can't do the things I'm trained to do because of clothing in a place where I may be called upon to do them, why train at all? While I agree that being too paranoid can draw the jerks to you, I think being too happy go lucky while out can be just as dangerous.

Just another way of looking at it!

Latest Discussions