Going out?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do any of you do any sort of preperation before you go out?

I'll give you an example, I play a jazz gig at a hotel downtown, and it used to be late on Saturday nights. I'll admit that before going out I would make sure my legs and shoulders well loose and well stretched and would often go for awhile on my heavy bag to make sure I was strong, loose and ready.

No negative encounters yet, so that's good, but I'm curious if anyone else physically prepares themselves for possible conflict before going out? Especially late at night, etc..

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Call me paranoid, but I always do some mild stretching, working the shoulders, obliques, quads, hamstrings, calves, and neck, before going out for a few rounds of cold ones. I've found that it really does help the next morning, since I don't feel nearly as stiff. You never know when you might be standing for a while, or sitting in a less than optimal position.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good point, I find that stretching well, especially my legs, helps for a three hour gig, considering I'm standing for most or all of the time

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, but I do stop and think about whether what I'm wearing is too constricting to allow me to fight.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as physical work, no. As far as dress, yes. If I can't defend myself in it, I don't wear it. Especially the shoes. Also, I don't drink excessively. When I was younger, everytime I did that, sure enough would be the time I had a confrontation. ('course the "beer muscles" may have had something to do with that). :eek: and I keep alert to what's happening around me. Downside is, I never really relax when I go out.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never drink,
So I never have enough fun,
But I'm always ready for the fight if it comes.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't "go out" as an unattached person does. I "go out" to do the shopping, taxi children, run meetings and assist in class. I don't have many excuses at all for wearing high heels or dresses, so I am virtually always wearing something I can move in and if I dress up at all I consider where we're going and if I can wear nice slacks with boots or not, can I carry this purse instead of the fanny pack, and I usually have something with me.

Depending on constriction, I might loosed up my back and legs and shoulders, yeah - but I don't invest any time on the heavy bag. I think forward that all will be well and it virtually always is.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't stretch or anything. I found that in Jujitsu, it's not needed, just brutal joint locks are or pressure points :D BUT the style of clothing I wear now is a cross between "what's in" (baggy pants/loose fitting stuff) and what I think I can "fight" in if needed. If I can't move "comfortably" in it, I don't wear it. I'm female, but I don't wear dresses or high heals (don't have to hehehehehe). Some people say I dress like a "skate rat" but, at least, I can fight in my clothes if needed LOL

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't go out of my way to do anything special. I gained the mindset long ago that I need to be ready all of the time. I prepare for fights on the every day scale. Going out has lead to very little fighting. I always wear loose clothing and carry my tac knife. I have found that if I think to much about preparing for a fight the less likely I am to walk away.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm also part of the non-drinking crowd. I catch myself very aware of my footwear, and will almost never wear sandals or slippers (both very common in the summer here) since they're not as good as hiking shoes or sneakers for fighting.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
As far as physical work, no. As far as dress, yes. If I can't defend myself in it, I don't wear it. Especially the shoes. Also, I don't drink excessively. When I was younger, everytime I did that, sure enough would be the time I had a confrontation. ('course the "beer muscles" may have had something to do with that). :eek: and I keep alert to what's happening around me. Downside is, I never really relax when I go out.
Isn't that the truth!

I drink, but NEVER while I'm out. To much potential for problems due to dimished capacity (which the drinker may not fully be aware of) and also the possibility of needing to drive. If you never drink while you're away from home, you chances of driving "under the influence" - even when you thought you were ok - decreases markedly. Finally, I'm of an age (very late 30's) where it is entirely possible that I may need to be the "adult" in a situation and I don't want to end up in a tragic situation where I cannot assist. Also, as a Coast Guard volunteer, one alcohol or drug related offense and - you're out!

I bet the LEOs on MT could weigh in with great advice on the topic of being judicious about drinking while "out". I'm sure each one has had many experiences of arresting someone who "only had two beers" and didn't realize they were drunk.

So, my preparation for going out at night is to ensure beforehand that I can return. If I'm with friends, I tell them IN ADVANCE that I do NOT drink while out. This saves me the possibility of giving offense by refusing on the spot - the people I'm with know my policy.

I also consider, since I carry a utility knife, whether the belt clip could cause trouble or put me in a situation where I looked "armed" - something that, unfortunately arouses some bullies. Sometimes I leave it behind, other times I unclip it and shove it deep into my pocket.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I never drink,
So I never have enough fun,
But I'm always ready for the fight if it comes.
this is a personal question which you may ignore.. but just out of curiosity how come you dont drink?
im just asking coz its kinda rare to find a person who doesnt drink, well unless they had a bad experience. if so, do you mind sharing the story of the experience?

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just make sure I don't leave my brain at home. Never know when you will need it. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
this is a personal question which you may ignore.. but just out of curiosity how come you dont drink?
im just asking coz its kinda rare to find a person who doesnt drink, well unless they had a bad experience. if so, do you mind sharing the story of the experience?
This is a topic for another thread.

G

goshawk

arnisador said:
No, but I do stop and think about whether what I'm wearing is too constricting to allow me to fight.
Mm, totally. I don't deliberately stretch before I go out, though what with training every day I hardly need to, but I do pay attention to my clothes. Never wear anything that won't let me extend through the full range of my flexibility, and while not a ballerina, I'm pretty stretchy. This doesn't mean I wander around in combat pants and a T-shirt (although that's damn comfortable on occasion), but it does mean that I eschew some of the dumber fashions out there. And may I take this moment to bi...ahem, complain about the immobility enforced by ladies fashion?

The "current fashion" advocates jeans so tight you have to mince around like you're wearing a traditional kimono and slippers, and even the slenderest girl has a Michelin-man spare tire. Not only is this unattractive in the extreme, it's stupid. Adding to the five-pound animal-skins you're expected to squeeze your ten-pound self into, I'll defy anyone to effectively defend herself or make an escape in those ridiculous pointy-toed stilettos.

Bah. No one thinks anything could happen to them. Yay paranoia? =P

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Certainly, I drink lightly if at all when out, for these reasons--not just for martial arts techniques but for larger issues of self-defense!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Do any of you do any sort of preperation before you go out?

I'll give you an example, I play a jazz gig at a hotel downtown, and it used to be late on Saturday nights. I'll admit that before going out I would make sure my legs and shoulders well loose and well stretched and would often go for awhile on my heavy bag to make sure I was strong, loose and ready.

No negative encounters yet, so that's good, but I'm curious if anyone else physically prepares themselves for possible conflict before going out? Especially late at night, etc..

Don't do any stretching prior to going out. I do the bulk of my stretching during my workouts. I'm not a drinker, so I don't have to worry about the effects of that. Most important, I do my best to be aware of whats going on around me, especially if I'm in an area that I do not frequent on a regular basis.

Mike

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on where I'm going. If I'm off to school or the store I don't pay too close of attention to my clothing or footwear. My everyday kind of clothes are something that I can move freely in. And my shoes are either something light and sure to stay on, or easy to kick off if I need to.

It's a different story if I'm going to a large social type gathering. If I know most of the people I'm pretty relaxed about what I wear. As for drinking, I only do that if I know that at least one person of the group is not going to be drinking, and only if I trust all the people I'm with. Though to be fair I'm not much of a drinker, so I usually end up being sober by the end of the night.

As for stretching and all that, I'm pretty flexible even when I haven't warmed up. And more to the point if I'm heading to a crowded bar or party my feet are staying on the ground, I know that in a crowded situation that getting in close with my hands and elbows is probably going to be the easiest.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear a frilly lavendar tutu and some tasteful makeup. That ensures I get the chance to work on my training in a real world setting.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm the same way, if im going to go outside my house, there's a chance ill have to defend my self, so i want to be prepared, duh lol.

Latest Discussions