I allowed myself to become a victim.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is how. Saturday night I was spending the night partying at my cousins house in Speedway Indiana near the Indianapolis International Speedway. There is a long tradition of hanging out around the track the night before the 500 race and I've participated for the last eight years. I refer to it as a 'red neck ma di gras'. They close off an entire street for about 15 blocks lined with food vendors. The police have always and still do over look the Indiana's open container law for this one night. Party goers pull coolers of beer on wagons. It's fun but I've never felt exactly safe there and in years pass I've always been extremely aware of my suroundings there and chose wisely who I made the walk with. This year I got lax and it bit me in the .... finger! I'd been drinking a little but towards the end of our trek I decided I'd start drinking heavier on the way home. It was time to relax and go back to the house to finish the party. We're only three or four blocks from the house where we were staying and at 2am things were dieing off and people were going home. A few shots from the cooler and we were on our way back. As we walked down the sidewalk heading home I let a little brother of a friend of mine walk in front and me and my date lagged behind the group a little. I had led all night and naturally in a group of mostly lower class people I was bumped and snickered at and everything else... who cares. When some idiot shoulder checks me I just apologize for him and move on. Well in the middle of our walk home a guy who in my opinion was blown out of his mind was running the opposite direction on the sidewalk with a ski mask on. Yes, a ski mask in Indy in May. When he bumped shoulder with the 21 year old kid leading our group the kid smarted off and an argument insued. I didn't know what it was about when I came apon my close friends and their friends bottled up in the sidewalk. But moments later this guy hits the kid right in the mouth knocking out his front tooth. I pushed him away and into the street. He came at me and I pushed him again this time over a short, wire fence. Not wanting to fight I tried to make that be it and started moving my people down the sidewalk but it wasn't over. He got up and grabbed another member of my group.
Now I'm not going to go into ALL the things I did wrong that night, the list is long. I'm not going to give a blow by blow I'm just going to give a warning and it's one I already knew well and ignored that night and it almost cost me my finger when this guy got it in his mouth and nearly bit it off. What ever you can do sober, you can't do even a third of that when you're drunk. It's never ok in public to let your guard down. Getting 'drunk' leaves you helpless and vulnerable and if you enjoy doing it than it should be somewhere safe and private in the company of good friends. I was an idiot and I'll be kicking myself for this for a very long time.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great post and warning to the drinkers that frequent our little forum world!!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What ever you can do sober, you can't do even a third of that when you're drunk. It's never ok in public to let your guard down. Getting 'drunk' leaves you helpless and vulnerable and if you enjoy doing it than it should be somewhere safe and private in the company of good friends. I was an idiot and I'll be kicking myself for this for a very long time.
UMMM, Ditto here.:soapbox:
Sean

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sad to hear of your poor end to a good night, Indy and thank you for taking the trouble to pass on the anecdote of your misfortune as an education for the rest of us - it's sadly true that we often fail to learn from others mistakes but information is always valuable :tup:.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whats the expression... "You can only learn what to do right, until you learned why its right", somthing like that... cann't remember were it comes from though...

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
INDYFIGHTER,

I hope your finger's ok -- human bites are scary. Also, I'm glad for you that violence didn't escalate any further.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting 'drunk' leaves you helpless and vulnerable and if you enjoy doing it than it should be somewhere safe and private in the company of good friends.

Advice does not come any better than this. I hope your finger will be ok Indyfighter.

OP
INDYFIGHTER

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all. My fingers doing pretty well considering. I kept it very clean and it's all scabbed over now and healing. It sore like I jammed it really hard and I think there is some nerve damage because my fingertip is numb but I assume with time that will heal too. (I hope!)

What happend to the guy? Nothing, I and three other guys all took shots at this guy. When he had my finger my best friend got down behind him and started nailing him in the groin. Nothing had a effect. Not sure if I mentioned it in the start of the thread but the young kid in my group who smarted off to the guy when he bumped him lost his front tooth, pretty sure that's what got me involved but sorry to say it's all pretty fuzzy. But eventually after a few minutes his friends arrived who weren't looking to fight or go to jail so they took there friend and a few seconds later he was back to running down the sidewalk apparently uneffected by the incident. No doubt to find the next victim.

Had an officer stopped we would have all spent a few nights in jail for p.i. charges at the least.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope your finger returns to normal. Sounds like the other guy was zoned out of his mind on one of our popular chemical substances, as well as maybe alcohol. Had a similar experience about 20 years ago with a guy on a 'new' drug called PCP. While this guy I outweighed by 60 pounds gave me the beating of my life, he calmly carried on a conversation with himself. I could have avoided the whole thing if I'd just checked my ego sooner.

Thanks for sharing your story, and the admonition. Good stuff. Get well, and don't beat yourself up for what you can't undo. :) We can only learn, let go, and move on.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear your friends (and finger) are okay. Losing a digit or a tooth or anything else over nothing would definately be something to kick yourself over for a very long time.

Unfortunately, some things don't change. I learned the same lesson about drinking in public (and being in a prone condition during an altercation) almost 30 years ago.

Fuzzy Foot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
An important step on your part, other than lack of any "serious injuries", is that you've taken inventory on how you might have handled things differently i.e. learning from your mistakes. Remember hindsight is often 20/20, but don't beat yourself up over it too much. It is not easy to analyze touchy situations quickly and know what to do to get yourself out even looking back at it because obviously you can never totally predict how the other side will respond. Sounds like you're both thankful and remorseful, good, learn from it and move on.

Latest Discussions