The measure of a person.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite quotes....

"When speaking of Bushido, the three qualities considered essential are loyalty, integrity and courage. When these three virtues are perfectly combined in one man, he is called a samurai of the highest quality...The reason is that the courage of a warrior is not exhibited for the first time when he dons his armor, takes up spear and halberd, faces the field, and is locked in battle. A man's ordinary life at peace reflects his courage or cowardice just like a mirror...Having the least bit of spare time, he will put his mind to Learning, and not be negligent in his practice of the martial arts...He will protect his health fully and will keep in mind the desire to perform at least once in his life a great meritorious deed. Having such a disposition, he will be deeply mindful of his own constitution and be moderate in his desires for food and drink. He will give wide berth to and be very prudent in matters of sex, that primary deluder of men, and, other than that, will endure anything. All these evidence a man's courage."

-bushidoshoshinshu

I find the concept that a persons everyday life and actions are the TRUE measure of a person very interesting. Everybody thinks "when the **** hits the fan I will stand up and act" but when the neighbor kid is out blasting his car stero at 2 am he is afraid to open his window and say anything. People talk about ethics and warriorship and "doing the right thing", but what do they do in their everyday life? Really look at yourself and the people around you. If you dont like what you see in yourself and your actions either change yourself or accept your reality.

Opinions?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I measure out to about 1/2 a cup. Maybe 3/4 on a good day.

I USED to be the guy who stood up. Woe be unto the soccer mom who started yelling at the clerk in line in front of me because of a store policy that the clerk had nothing to do with... and other assorted "little" daily "battles".

A recent event in my life has proven somthing very very clearly to me.

NEVER get involved. Right, Wrong, Otherwise... It doesnt matter. You will be unappreciated by the people you help, judged harshly by those on the outside, and whatever the outcome, YOU WILL LOSE.

I have suffered a lot the past couple years... but I always did it "Face to the Blast" (minus my venting online in my online Blog). I made the effort not to let it change my heart... I made the effort to grow stronger thru it all... BUT This last round really opened my eyes... when my taking a stand and trying to do what was right almost cost me things that are so important to me... I concluded that I've been far too Naieve.

So the measure of my worth is about 1/2 a cup.

Sorry for the rant. Tgace, it was a good quote... Just dunno if I buy it anymore.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well..my response is that "standing up" has many different nuisances. Any action must be weighed against the law and possible repercussions. Telling the neighbor kid to turn the boom box down is different from yelling "turn that ****n **** off or Im gonna blow your ****'n head off!!!!" and if that neighbor kid is a Blood member with 5 friends that you believe may be armed, then the response is going to be different. The diference is in if you "respond" or not.

My point here is that many people go to MA class and think they are being imbued with mystical rays of "warriorship" and "honor", when its their life at work, family, home, out shopping or at the park that is where the true "measure" of the person is seen.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
<snip>

My point here is that many people go to MA class and think they are being imbued with mystical rays of "warriorship" and "honor", when its their life at work, family, home, out shopping or at the park that is where the true "measure" of the person is seen.

Family and home to me are the true measures of a person. If you can raise kids with integrity and honesty these days, you truly and obviously know what a measure of a person really is. Nice quote Tom.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Tgace, and I'd even expand it. "The Way" of the Samurai was not only about warfare, but also included more refined activities: tea ceremony, flower arranging, calligraphy. And of course it involved doing one's duty.

If we translate this into modern life, "The Way" might mean more than standing up during an argument or altercation. The way I see it, it means being honest, being fair in your business dealings, doing your job to the best of your ability, bearing your responsibility toward your family, friends and community, keeping commitments, being persistent in your efforts, respecting your body.

In my family, we're all martial artists, and it plays out in all of our activities. ("Of course you can run the charity 5K! If you have to, you can always walk." or "Well, if you're going to take that attitude, Mom, maybe you need to take your black belt test again")

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
I tend to agree with Tgace, and I'd even expand it. "The Way" of the Samurai was not only about warfare, but also included more refined activities: tea ceremony, flower arranging, calligraphy. And of course it involved doing one's duty.

If we translate this into modern life, "The Way" might mean more than standing up during an argument or altercation. The way I see it, it means being honest, being fair in your business dealings, doing your job to the best of your ability, bearing your responsibility toward your family, friends and community, keeping commitments, being persistent in your efforts, respecting your body.

In my family, we're all martial artists, and it plays out in all of our activities. ("Of course you can run the charity 5K! If you have to, you can always walk." or "Well, if you're going to take that attitude, Mom, maybe you need to take your black belt test again")
I agree too, and love this thread.

To me, the "Way" is basically holding yourself to a higher standard than the typical person in all aspects of life.
In matters involving, among other things, ethics, morality, personal responsibility, education, and personal development, both physical and mental. And all the while, making some small effort daily to make a positive difference in at least one stranger's life, while setting an example of leadership and perserverance to your family.

Here's a related quote I've always liked:
"The real person you are is revealed in the moments when you're certain no other person is watching. When no one is watching, you are driven by what you expect of yourself. You're not attempting to impress anyone. You're not putting on a show. You're expressing your true nature. The foundation of success is built in the moments when no one else is watching. If your efforts are only made for appearance, they will fall short. When you make the effort even though no one else is keeping track, that's a sure path to achievement.

What do you do when no one is watching? You can't keep any secrets from yourself. Success is built in the moments when you're truly free to be you. Make those moments count. Being a real winner is much better than just trying to look like one."

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tgace said:
This is one of my favorite quotes....

I find the concept that a persons everyday life and actions are the TRUE measure of a person very interesting. Everybody thinks "when the **** hits the fan I will stand up and act" but when the neighbor kid is out blasting his car stero at 2 am he is afraid to open his window and say anything. People talk about ethics and warriorship and "doing the right thing", but what do they do in their everyday life? Really look at yourself and the people around you. If you dont like what you see in yourself and your actions either change yourself or accept your reality.

Opinions?

Great quote Tom! :asian:

I agree with your statement though. Sometimes, we don't think before we speak, or as you said, do a complete turn-around when we're actually faced with a confrontation. Myself, I've tried to focus more on that thinking before we speak mentality due to the fact that 99% of the time, its just not worth it.

Mike

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"He will protect his health fully and will keep in mind the desire to perform at least once in his life a great meritorious deed. "

Does anybody do this? Do you ever actively think... every once and a while... that someday, when the "time" comes, that you will "stand".

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
So, if a person is a butthead, their instructor is a butthead, their training partners are buttheads...what does this truely say?

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A butthead is as a butthead does.....

Attachments

• $untitled.JPG
    $untitled.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 186
OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Courage is like a muscle. The more we exercise it, the stronger it gets. I sometimes worry that our collective courage is growing weaker from disuse. We don't demand it from our leaders, and our leaders don't demand it from us. The courage deficit is both our problem and our fault. As a result, too many leaders in the public and private sectors lack the courage necessary to honor their obligations to others and to uphold the essential values of leadership. Often, they display a startling lack of accountability for their mistakes and a desire to put their own self-interest above the common good."

-U.S. Senator John McCain

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"No man can always be right. So the struggle is to do one's best, to keep the brain and conscience clear, never be swayed by unworthy motives or inconsequential reasons, but to strive to unearth the basic factors involved, then do one's duty."

-Eisenhower

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoy that quote, and the ideals stated in it. But I think we need to remember that it was written in a different time and Honor, Courage and Integrity just don't work the same way anymore. I wish it did and people could just be good people and treat eachother with respect and dignity as human beings should. These days practicing the morals stated above means sacrifice , and I know from personal experience. Not that I'm saying I don't believe in the morals. But it is unfortunate that good "persons" have to take the fall because "people" as a whole aren't good anymore. I have a feeling that if more people were as the bushido states they should be we wouldn't be as poor off as we are now.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are what YOU make of them....the times are of no significance.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
it's nice to think that I can change the world (and one day that goal will definately have some substance) but there is no disagreeing that we can't just have an honorable duel with a gang member and expect the rest of them to standby and watch in admiration of their clan peer. I use that as an example because an one occasion I had to protect my friend from a mob (I'm not saying I took on a mob, there's alot to the story) it ended up in my first barefisted fight and broken nose along with a concussion. I'm not saying that I wouldn't make the same decision to have honor and courage and protect her, but it was very unfortunate it went that far.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
"He will protect his health fully and will keep in mind the desire to perform at least once in his life a great meritorious deed. "

Does anybody do this? Do you ever actively think... every once and a while... that someday, when the "time" comes, that you will "stand".
Yes. Self-sacrafice in order to better the world by doing one good thing is what is so LOST on many people in the Age of Me. I don't think most people understand how powerful the act of volunteerism is, whether it is to accomplish some dangerous deed or to spend 15 minutes with a child or to put one's name in to make a difference in the community.

It takes making a stand. It is what America started as.

Too many people want to know "why should I give up my hard earned money or my time when I've taken the time to learn, educate myself and get a job? why can't others do the same thing? why do I have to pay taxes to provide for someone else? why should I have to take my time to gather food for someone else? why should I try to police my neighborhood? that's the job of the police, why should I do it? ..." and a million other excuses for a million other things.

Q: Why?

A: Because.

When it's go time, ya gotta pull up your intestines and know what to do.