Going out?

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I make sure I'm loose before going out at night. I would hate to pull a muscle while trying to defend myself or even while running away. As for clothes, I don't even buy clothes unless I can move freely in them. That makes it easy to decide what ot wear when going out.

"The black loosely fitting cords or the beige loosely fitting cargo pants?"

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
when I go out I avoid fights like the plague..hey man I dont want to be rolling around the floor with some yob while wearing a £70 shirt goddamit!!
PLus with my dashing good looks and charm I usally can talk my way out of it....or if not the foot of fury they shall meet!!!raaaggghh!

Nah serious I dont stretch or anything,if something goes down I make myself aware of my surrounds and consider all options before deciding to fly kick someone....plus I've always used the line 'mate look around there are all these women around,why you going to risk getting thrown out because of me,then we'll have a fight and both of us will go home tonight empty handed,come on you know it make sense'<--that always works.

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
I've always used the line 'mate look around there are all these women around,why you going to risk getting thrown out because of me,then we'll have a fight and both of us will go home tonight empty handed,come on you know it make sense'<--that always works.

With slightly different wording but much the same message, I have used that line and it has worked more than once.

X

Xibalba

I don't necessarily stretch or limber up before going out, but my wife has made fun of me before for refusing to sit with my back to the entrance of whatever establishment we are in - I usually prefer to have a corner seat with my back to the wall. (Especially if we plan on running into anyone from my karate club - always ready with a swift kidney punch for the unprepared, those folks are!)

Now that I have a baby boy, I am even more careful about being aware of my/our surroundings.

Peace,
Mike

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hong kong phooey said:
I can't say that I have ever really done that.

Me neither :D

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xibalba said:
my wife has made fun of me before for refusing to sit with my back to the entrance of whatever establishment we are in - I usually prefer to have a corner seat with my back to the wall

Here I thought it was only my wife that gave me grief for the same habit..

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Here I thought it was only my wife that gave me grief for the same habit..

no no, I think a lot of us may have this habit. I think training makes us all a little more aware of the possibility of being attacked . . . or paranoid if you must.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
no no, I think a lot of us may have this habit. I think training makes us all a little more aware of the possibility of being attacked . . . or paranoid if you must.

Probably both..I devloped the habit a long time ago during my "bouncer" days when an idiot that I had physically ejected form the bar walked up on me in a Dennys.. The less said about that the better but it taught me a lasting lesson..

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Other than putting on my Chuck Norris Flex-jeans you mean? :) I do nothing special...I am hoping that my adrenalin rush will do everything for me, is that wrong..LOL

Seriously though, I feel that mental preparation is a BIG consideration here... Stretching and getting warm is ALWAYS a good idea but being aware of ones environment, positioning, and spotting exits and problem areas (read: bathroom stall!) are of utmost importance IMHO-

I do practice kicks in almost every pair of shoes I have especially boots just to see how they feel.

My .02 ( or .0001 Euro)

James

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't do anything physically but I am aware of my surroundings. I always do a quick look around as I enter or leave a room. That alone can keep you from walking into something.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dianhsuhe said:
Seriously though, I feel that mental preparation is a BIG consideration here... Stretching and getting warm is ALWAYS a good idea but being aware of ones environment, positioning, and spotting exits and problem areas (read: bathroom stall!) are of utmost importance IMHO-
I agree with awareness. Shortly after I recieved my I Dan in TKD, I was in downtown Denver late at night (after a midnight comedy show) with a group of friends. The shortest route back to the parking lot we all used was through an unlit alley. One of my friends wanted to short-cut through the alley, and said "Karen's a black belt, she'll protect us" - my answer was "What do you think I am? Stupid? I'm going around the long way, where there are lights!" Being able to defend oneself includes knowing how to avoid situations in which self-defense becomes necessary.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not really when I go out...but i throw a few kicks in the change area when i buy a new pair of pants to make sure they wont rip!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, I thought my buddy (from class/ high school) were the only ones who made sure they could kick in the pants they tried on in the dressing room.:) My buddy & I are now in our late 30's, & we still do it.

I used to buy the Chuck Norris jeans "just in case", too.

I'm glad we're not the only geeks (& I say that lovingly & w/ respect) who do this.

I've never had a job where I have to watch my back as has been mentioned here. And in 23 years in MA, I've never fought in the street. But I still gotta kick in the pants I wear. My wife....thinks I'm a lunatic. Thanks for understanding. You are my people.:asian:

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Wow, I thought my buddy (from class/ high school) were the only ones who made sure they could kick in the pants they tried on in the dressing room.:) My buddy & I are now in our late 30's, & we still do it.

I used to buy the Chuck Norris jeans "just in case", too.

I'm glad we're not the only geeks (& I say that lovingly & w/ respect) who do this

Nope. Your "normal" as far we go.

T

TheBattousai

Before going out to the dojo I don't do much because right now I work third shift and I'm just getting up in the day. Back in my daylight days, I did a normal mourning training routine with stretching, but I do it after I go home from the dojo. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who worries about practical clothes for those "just in case" days out.

Latest Discussions