Go to strike

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done many times but since I am new why not......What is your go to strike and why?

Fist?
Palm Heel?
Hammerfist?
Knife Hand?
Elbow?
Kicks?
Other?

I like em all but my hammerfist has to be my end all be all strike. I can throw it effectively at most any angle when stagnant (pre-emptive) or moving and it feels the most natural to me. I can also strike at both soft and hard targets with less risk of injury. I like it when doing arm destructions as well even though it probably isn't the most effective tool for that job

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the back fist strike. It can be used in close, raking down on the nose, at a greater distance to set up other techniques and also to the side and rear without having to face somebody.
The back fist can be snapped to split skin or focused with power to cause serious damage..........

OP
S

SENC-33

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the back fist strike. It can be used in close, raking down on the nose, at a greater distance to set up other techniques and also to the side and rear without having to face somebody.
The back fist can be snapped to split skin or focused with power to cause serious damage..........

I like this strike as well! A backhand whip strike down on the bridge of the nose.....

BionicMan13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Columbus,Ohio/At home and at a recreation center
I'm sure this has been done many times but since I am new why not......What is your go to strike and why?

Fist?
Palm Heel?
Hammerfist?
Knife Hand?
Elbow?
Kicks?
Other?

I like em all but my hammerfist has to be my end all be all strike. I can throw it effectively at most any angle when stagnant (pre-emptive) or moving and it feels the most natural to me. I can also strike at both soft and hard targets with less risk of injury. I like it when doing arm destructions as well even though it probably isn't the most effective tool for that job

I like the jab cause it keep your attacker at bay! Once stunned! Then you can go with a cross or hook to finish them off! Elbow strikes is a powerful blow! If I'm close range! I would use it!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you use your forearm to hit the back of your opponent's head, you can knock him out 1/2 way and then take him down with your head lock. The 45 degree downward "haymaker" can be used to deflect both jab and cross. You can also use it to set up your reverse head lock.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Steve got it right. I t depends on a lot of things but principally distance. On the way in, I love the knife hand or forearm strike. Once inside it's all elbows and knees.
:asian:

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't it depend upon the circumstance?

Naaaaaah....

Personally, if I could have everything my way, I'd be in close, with both my arms in contact with both of their's, and it would be a series of head-shot elbows rolling in around the arms without breaking contact. That's what my panic-button does. Second up would be grabbing both arms and pulling while delivering a knee-level stomp. If I'm stuck at mid range, I like to crash in with a flying or lunging knee.

If I'm even farther away, my go-to strike would be a series of downward and backward pushing kicks, delivered in fast succession to the pavement, strictly alternating between legs...

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Naaaaaah....

Personally, if I could have everything my way, I'd be in close, with both my arms in contact with both of their's, and it would be a series of head-shot elbows rolling in around the arms without breaking contact. That's what my panic-button does. Second up would be grabbing both arms and pulling while delivering a knee-level stomp. If I'm stuck at mid range, I like to crash in with a flying or lunging knee.

If I'm even farther away, my go-to strike would be a series of downward and backward pushing kicks, delivered in fast succession to the pavement, strictly alternating between legs...
Zacho, didn't you just agree with Steve and the K-Man? Or has your irony been lost on me yet again?

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my TKD days many years ago, I heavily favored the side kick. I won a tournament once using almost nothing but side kicks. I had quick legs in those days, and when my opponents would move in to attack, I'd just place my side kick wherever there was an opening (ribs, stomach, chest).

My sabonim yelled at me and told me I was no longer allowed to use side kicks.

Nowadays I try to avoid favoring any particular strike or technique. In chi sao I find that if I go in with the intent of using a particular technique, I usually take some hits because I'm probably trying to use it when the conditions aren't right.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my TKD days many years ago, I heavily favored the side kick. I won a tournament once using almost nothing but side kicks. I had quick legs in those days, and when my opponents would move in to attack, I'd just place my side kick wherever there was an opening (ribs, stomach, chest).

My sabonim yelled at me and told me I was no longer allowed to use side kicks.

Nowadays I try to avoid favoring any particular strike or technique. In chi sao I find that if I go in with the intent of using a particular technique, I usually take some hits because I'm probably trying to use it when the conditions aren't right.
We practise sticky hands similar to Chi Sau every session. It is really good training as it gives you the chance of defusing the situation or escalating as you choose and can provide an entry if that is what you want. You are spot on not thinking about a particular technique as you now can use whatever the situation allows. Good call!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally choose open hand. Because it's easy to go from a block to a counter its also a way to counter against a person with a weapon so it can be used in many situations

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Favorite strike?
Something forceful against whatever's open.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mmm! Is agreeing with us really so bad? ;)
Agreeing with me is bad, because I train in BJJ. It's in the rule book that anything I say is wrong, even if it's right. But, it's an easy work around. Just disagree and then say the same thing I said. :)

Zack Cart did it perfectly! ;)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreeing with me is bad, because I train in BJJ. It's in the rule book that anything I say is wrong, even if it's right. But, it's an easy work around. Just disagree and then say the same thing I said. :)

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love BJJ. I would love to do some more training in it but I doubt it will happen, due to time constraints. It's just one particular adherent to BJJ who is giving BJJ a bad name. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My instructor always said "first-est with the most est"............. What ever it is make it good.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Oh no, you do BJJ?

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Zacho, didn't you just agree with Steve and the K-Man? Or has your irony been lost on me yet again?

Yeah, I gotta get better at clearly conveying my sarcasm... I thought disagreeing was silly enough that it was obvious I was actually agreeing. Foiled again!

Planning ahead what you will do is the best way to not be able to do whatever it is you plan to do. (Does that mean what I meant it to mean???) Although, I do like doing a sparring drill where one player can ONLY use a specific technique, say, gedan barai. They can interpret it as many different ways as they like, but it must all be that one technique (or part of it, at least!)

No, that's not at all true. Completely false. Lies, Lies, LIES!

In truth, it is always bad to agree with a BJJ guy. They're always wrong. I believe there is an actual manual that specifies who is right or wrong under which circustances. The BJJ guys are always wrong. True story. Look it up.

We practise sticky hands similar to Chi Sau every session. It is really good training as it gives you the chance of defusing the situation or escalating as you choose and can provide an entry if that is what you want. You are spot on not thinking about a particular technique as you now can use whatever the situation allows. Good call!

Yeah, if the question was go to "technique," rather than "strike," Sticky Hands would be it, for me. It's like a safe zone, especially if the other guy doesn't practice sticky hands!

...Oh, and... Steve's still wrong. I thought he was right, but then I remembered the BJJ...

Latest Discussions