Getting height on my side kicks

OP
Nevian

Nevian

White Belt
Reaction score
When you execute a high side kick your base leg hamstring will feel a stretch.
As I mentioned in the first post I get the impression that my hamstrings are quite flexible. But my impression doesn't necesseraly make it so. My adductors is a different matter. How much do they come into play during a side kick?

I'm wondering what mucles actually lift the leg sideways? The quads straighten the leg, but what about the actual lifting? Would that primarely be the obliques (and probably a number of others)?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the first post I get the impression that my hamstrings are quite flexible. But my impression doesn't necesseraly make it so. My adductors is a different matter. How much do they come into play during a side kick?

I'm wondering what mucles actually lift the leg sideways? The quads straighten the leg, but what about the actual lifting? Would that primarely be the obliques (and probably a number of others)?

well, go find out:
Stand by the wall and do a number of slo-mo side kicks until you feel the responsible muscles burn! :D

The glutes are involved as well...

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Leg swings. Keep doing what you have been doing, but add some leg swings into your routine. Do 3 sets of 10 - 12 on each leg. I start with front to back, then move to side to side. I also ad in hip turnouts. That is nothing more than doing a cresant kick but keeping the knee bent at a 90 degree angle. I do them in-wards and out-wards.

Here is a good example of what I mean by leg swings.
[yt]nHKvLuVhabg[/yt]

Should help out a lot in the begining. But keep them as a daily part of your routine. I say they are more important than any static stretch you do. Don't stop your static stetching as you need them as well.

Hope this helps.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ah, the side to side leg swings....A ballet exercise.... :)

Latest Discussions