Getting Better

Sultan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a bit new here, so hopefully we'll all get along.

I'm currently a brown belt in my school.

I'm alright, but I wish to get better. Much better then what I am currently.

So, I was hoping that anyone here could tell me any routines, exercises that you might use on yourself to improve and/or your children, or anything else that will help me improve for my black belt.

I don't want to be a black belt in name but not in skill.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Beleive it or not, make sure you have your forms down pat. Make sure that you execute with power and that snap. Make sure each detail is percise and on point. Forms is where is all starts. Have the best form and you are well on your way. Everything builds from forms, even your fighting skill. Bad form and everything else is bad too.

Also make sure you work footwork and stances as well. This is also a part of forms but fighting footwork is a little different.

Start here and perfect and you will amazed at how good you can get.

Happy training.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take the time to learn the application to your Poomsae, just not the movements. Also take the time to learn the proper words for all the kicks, vlocks and punches and so forth.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Train hard, train smart. There is no magic pill, no secret formula, just lots of repetition. But like Terry & ATC mentioned, don't do repetition for its own sake, you are not a dancer (not that there's anything wrong with dancing), you have to look for and be able to apply your techniques and principles.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Put in extra time in and out of class.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm alright, but I wish to get better. Much better then what I am currently.

So, I was hoping that anyone here could tell me any routines, exercises that you might use on yourself to improve and/or your children, or anything else that will help me improve for my black belt.

I don't want to be a black belt in name but not in skill.

You need more concrete goals than to just 'get better': I wish to be able to kick 1000 roundhouse kicks without stopping for rest. I wish to win a point sparring tournament with a minimum of 50% of my points scored with a reverse punch. I wish to be able to transition seamlessly from a rear leg roundhouse kick into a jump spinning back kick.
These are all examples of goals you can aim for, and because the goals are more definite you can easily research or receive instruction on how to work towards them.

I'd say pick something achievable within 3 months or shorter and then talk to your sa bom nim for some of his suggestions on drills and activities that will allow you to reach it. Then move onto the next goal, preferably a realistic one. Small steps first, then you can shoot for something more long term.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way you train, is the black belt, you will be.
Don't give up
Don't slack
Stand out, during class.
Be the go to person, when people want help.
When you spar, kick butt.
Always keep a good attitude.
Add time to the above recipe, and what you are looking for, will happen.
:asian:

artFling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you want new ideas for improving in any style, I'd recommend Solo Training by Loren Christensen. He gives great ideas for adding to your training, to make you stronger, quicker and more powerful. Here's an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Training...96/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1248651055&sr=8-16. This is the most practical martial arts book I have read. What I like about Christensen is that he has studied several styles and he has been a cop in the northwest and has tried lots of various techniques several times.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Beleive it or not, make sure you have your forms down pat. Make sure that you execute with power and that snap. Make sure each detail is percise and on point. Forms is where is all starts. Have the best form and you are well on your way. Everything builds from forms, even your fighting skill. Bad form and everything else is bad too.

Also make sure you work footwork and stances as well. This is also a part of forms but fighting footwork is a little different.

Start here and perfect and you will amazed at how good you can get.

Happy training.
could not have said it better.

Latest Discussions