Are the number of Keub ranks set in stone in KKW?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I did TKD as a kid, the belts were:
White
Yellow
Orange
Purple
Green
Blue
Red/Brown
Brown/Red
Black

(I can't remember what was first, brown or red, but I think brown was). Between each belt you got 3 stripes of tape around it, so you would get 3 yellow stripes on your white belt, 3 orange stripes on your yellow belt, and so on. This meant 4 tests per color, so White Belt would be 32 tests away from Black.

At some point during my time at that school, they changed from the stripes system to a system with a yellow stripe down the middle and a black stripe down the middle, which would be 3 tests per color instead of 4.

The school I'm in now has a much more concise system (although I feel there's more material tested). We have:
White
Yellow
Purple
Orange
Green (and Green I)
Blue (and Blue I & II)
Red (and Red I & II)
Black

This means White is only 12 tests away from black, and the certificates we get say "Xth Keub".

My question is: is the number of Keub ranks set, or is it up to the school?
I know my current school is under KKW, but I'm not sure if my old school was or wasn't.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The KKW decrees a minimum curriculum, but neither tests nor records geup ranks, so schools can pretty much do whatever they like.
Most commonly there are 10. Colors can be whatever the school wants, and I've seen belts in pink and camo, so...
Our system is
10 - White
9 - Yellow
8 - Yellow with a green stripe
7 - Green
6 - Green, blue stripe
5 - Blue
4 - Blue, red stripe
3 - Red
2 - Red, black stripe
1 - Red, 2 black stripes

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most typical in Europe is 10 Keup grades.

10th White
9th Yellow Tag
8th Yellow
7th Green Tag
6th Green
5th Blue Tag
4th Blue
3rd Red Tag
2nd Red
1st Black Tag

Depending where you test, you do either Koryo or Pal Jang as your main form for 1st Dan.

Gnarlie

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
White, yellow, green, blue, red, black are the ranks used in Kukki Taekwondo. But like has already been stated, the Kukkiwon police aren't going to show up at your doorstep so you can do pretty much whatever you want.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
White, yellow, green, blue, red, black are the ranks used in Kukki Taekwondo. But like has already been stated, the Kukkiwon police aren't going to show up at your doorstep so you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Just a nit-picky question, but do you know if that's set by KKW or WTF? The only place I remember seeing those colors specified is in info from USAT. I don't recall seeing much of anything about color belts (colors or requirements) in the KKW regs - but maybe I'm just forgetting, hahaha.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a nit-picky question, but do you know if that's set by KKW or WTF? The only place I remember seeing those colors specified is in info from USAT. I don't recall seeing much of anything about color belts (colors or requirements) in the KKW regs - but maybe I'm just forgetting, hahaha.

The KKW does not define geup ranks or belt color. And the WTF does not define any rank.

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw this information, but it was from a credible source. It would not have been from the WTF though, that I know for sure.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw this information, but it was from a credible source. It would not have been from the WTF though, that I know for sure.

General Choi defined those colors for the ITF, so they could be considered as official as anything for that system. They are also certainly the most commonly used colors in KKW-TKD. But they're not the only ones, by any means.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ok, no problem. I did see it very recently on the USAT website, so maybe that's were where you saw it, too.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I think you may be referring to a hot MT thread in 2012, dealing with what the WTF was then proposing as the new poomsae uniform. In it's proposal (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lcEhUp4JHffGh82gbkzlyyQ&bvm=bv.69411363,d.aWw) the WTF listed its ideas about geup ranks and corresponding belt colors. That's the same proposal in which the WTF put forth ideas of a ranking system identifying master, master instructor and grandmaster dan ranks, change of the the blackbelt color to dark blue, and new dan and poom rank marking on belts. The uniforms were approved, but the other ideas -- which appeared to lack support from the Kukkiwon and KKW taekwondoin in general - were never adopted.

Latest Discussions