Benefits of sparring with a black belt

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never said the school would be a fraud, but in most activities practice makes perfect and if someone has done something longer and continues to practice then they get better and better. In 99% of cases someone who has played guitar for twenty years will be better than someone who has played for three years providing they both practice for the same amount of time. Where I train people aren't promoted because of time in grade but instead time actively training in grade. You cant just show up and mingle around for a few years and get promoted. If a wiley old fourth dan with twelve years hard training under his belt spars the young first dan in the prime of his life full of athleticism and flexibility, I know who my money is on, and it aint the first dan. As the poster above said, it depends on whether you grade students on improvement and effort or performance. Where I train it is strictly based on performance. I am yet to meet any first dan who could pass one of our fourth dan gradings, and if first dans could, it would mean the grading requirements are too simple. I believe in the vast majority of cases a higher dan will/should win everytime. Thats why they are ranked higher.

I do not disagree with anything you said. I admit that skill and experience can overcome athleticism, but only up to a certain point. I will also admit that athelicism can overcome skill and experience, but only up to a certain point.

When I was in my early 20's I trained with a kid who had aspirations of fighting in junior nationals and eventually national team. He trained hard and was very good. He was also 14 when I met him. When we sparred, even though I had the experience edge, he would generally get the best of me. It was for one simple reason. He weighed 110 lbs and I weighed about 190 lbs (at the time). He was simply too fast for me. I understood the techniques and strategy he was using, but I just could not keep up with him. It was like trying to time a weed eater. Now, I could've used my size/stength to my advantage, but we were only training and not in real competition. If you simply looks at points scored, I usually lost.

It works both ways. If you don't understand the strategy your opponent is using you will lose due to lack of knowledge. If you understand what your opponent is doing, but can physically keep up with them then you lose to a disparity of physical ability.

There is a reason the fighters who go to the Olympics are usually young. Skills and experience can be taught and obtained. Natural physical ability is God given.

Latest Discussions