Freeing yourself from being grabbed by the wrists?

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Should I, when checking out a school, explicitly ask the teacher if they teach things like these?

But what if he just says yeah course only in order to make me shut up and make me sign up and then over time I find out they don't

really teach this at all? Could I hold him accountable and quit prematurely without having to pay for the rest of the year?

Cause I don't want to be messed with. If he lied to me I'd not simply accept that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, there's an "in" and an "out" for either grip, each having a different effect (so 4 combinations). No school will teach everything you need/want. Every school will teach more of it than what you're getting now.
Should I, when checking out a school, explicitly ask the teacher if they teach things like these?

But what if he just says yeah course only in order to make me shut up and make me sign up and then over time I find out they don't

really teach this at all? Could I hold him accountable and quit prematurely without having to pay for the rest of the year?

Cause I don't want to be messed with. If he lied to me I'd not simply accept that.
No. You should watch a class or two, see if it looks interesting, and sign up for a month. If it seems to be helping, keep training. If it doesn't move on. Don't worry about any specific technique - you don't know enough to even seek something particular yet.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But in nearly all wing chun schools here you have to sign up for 1 year!! No getting out after that.
This is all cause of money. Nobody can tell me otherwise.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But in nearly all wing chun schools here you have to sign up for 1 year!! No getting out after that.
Then take a different martial art.

If you don't have enough money to take a class then see if you can pay for half a year. If you can't do that then join a martial arts club.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never sign up for a new school for an entire year. As I said before, that's the only part of what you originally mentioned that has real potential for rip-off, since most students don't last their first year. Find a school (don't worry so much about the style) that allows you to pay by the month at first, until you're sure it's a good fit.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is exactly what happened to me. I told the kenpo teacher, when I was just ten, that I wanted Kung Fu, and they assure me Kenpo was just like the Kung Fu, on," Kung Fu Theater", and that I was most assuredly in the right place. Fast forward, I am 46, now, and all I know is this stupid Kenpo stuff. It isn't like, "Kung Fu Theater", at all. What the heck? :(

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is exactly what happened to me. I told the kenpo teacher, when I was just ten, that I wanted Kung Fu, and they assure me Kenpo was just like the Kung Fu, on," Kung Fu Theater", and that I was most assuredly in the right place. Fast forward, I am 46, now, and all I know is this stupid Kenpo stuff. It isn't like, "Kung Fu Theater", at all. What the heck? :(
That's your fault for signing up for a 36 year contract

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, Welcome to the world.
If they are charging you money it is a business. Every business is there to make money. To make a profit. To have a higher standard of living.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score

JUST TRY A ******* CLASS. THIS IS NOT THAT HARD.

You've been posting this nonsense for two months. It's time to stop.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In real world application if someone was stupid enough to grab my one arm with both his hands, then I would punch with my free hand. In real world application people will grab one arm with one hand.

There's a pretty standard wrestling hold called a 2 on 1. You control one arm at the wrist and bicep with both your hands and you are on the outside of his arm, extending his elbow and pressing with your shoulder on the back of his. If someone gets you in this you will not be able to strike them with your free hand with any power. This is part of a standard wrestling/MMA counter to a collar tie (which could be a prelude to a strike with the other hand).

You may be able to hit me before I can grab your wrist, but if I can grab your wrist with both hands and jerk it down hard, you won't be able to hit me with any power, and I will be setting up a neck tie with the other hand or 2 on 1.

If someone grabbed my wrist like they did in the vid though, yeah, I'd punch them too. The big problem with that vid is that the other guy is just grabbing his wrist and not trying to do anything with it, like offbalance him, create an opening to hit him, etc. You can do just about anything when your opponent just stands there.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's a pretty standard wrestling hold called a 2 on 1. You control one arm at the wrist and bicep with both your hands and you are on the outside of his arm, extending his elbow and pressing with your shoulder on the back of his. If someone gets you in this you will not be able to strike them with your free hand with any power.
Agree! You will be in a position that your opponent's other hand can't reach you.

Here is an example.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! You will be in a position that your opponent's other hand can't reach you.

Here is an example.

You can have that one. It looks like a high risk technique technique to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's a pretty standard wrestling hold called a 2 on 1. You control one arm at the wrist and bicep with both your hands and you are on the outside of his arm, extending his elbow and pressing with your shoulder on the back of his. If someone gets you in this you will not be able to strike them with your free hand with any power. This is part of a standard wrestling/MMA counter to a collar tie (which could be a prelude to a strike with the other hand).

You may be able to hit me before I can grab your wrist, but if I can grab your wrist with both hands and jerk it down hard, you won't be able to hit me with any power, and I will be setting up a neck tie with the other hand or 2 on 1.

If someone grabbed my wrist like they did in the vid though, yeah, I'd punch them too. The big problem with that vid is that the other guy is just grabbing his wrist and not trying to do anything with it, like offbalance him, create an opening to hit him, etc. You can do just about anything when your opponent just stands there.
I would have to see that technique used in an free sparring or "real world" conflict. It could be that it sounds risky to me because my school literally has an escape for what you described that is done in every form. In the beginner's form "Sei Ping" the techniques to escape that type of grab is done 16 times using 4 different techniques.

There are 2 assumptions about that grab. The first is that the initial grab has to last long enough for you to get your other hand on the arm. The 2nd assumption is that the second arm will be able to grab the bicep. Anything that interferes with the success of the initial grab and the secondary grab will cause the grabbing technique to fail. If the first grab fails then the second grab cannot be done. If the second grab fails then the step around will fail.

I could be wrong and missing something but from my end based on the techniques I know, that would be a high risk maneuver when striking is involved.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can have that one. It looks like a high risk technique technique to me.
It may not work every time but it's a low risk technique. The "entering strategy" use "safe entry - not to be kicked or punched when you move in". All risk has been reduced to the minimum. When your left hand touch on your opponent's right wrist, your body already start to move to his "right side door" that his left hand can't reach you. It follows the basic MA principle that you use your opponent's leading arm to jam his own back arm. There is a risk that your opponent's leading right arm may spin and hay-maker at your head. When that happen, your left arm can wrap on his right arm.

If the first grab fails then the second grab cannot be done. If the second grab fails then the step around will fail.
90% of your punches won't be able to land on your opponent's body. that's just the reality.

This can be true for all MA technique. If your opponent can move back faster than your advance, none of your technique will work on him. It's your speed vs. his speed. The "set up combo" doesn't work every time. As long as it can work 1 out of 10 tries, that will be all you need.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
90% of your punches won't be able to land on your opponent's body.
I think I have a higher hit percentage than 10% hit rate. 10% hit rate sounds like I'm fighting with my eyes closed.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would have to see that technique used in an free sparring or "real world" conflict.

Go to an MMA school where they wrestle and ask. Should be easy enough.

It could be that it sounds risky to me because my school literally has an escape for what you described that is done in every form. In the beginner's form "Sei Ping" the techniques to escape that type of grab is done 16 times using 4 different techniques.

As someone said per the techniques in your form, "I would have to see that technique used in an free sparring or "real world" conflict."

There are 2 assumptions about that grab. The first is that the initial grab has to last long enough for you to get your other hand on the arm. The 2nd assumption is that the second arm will be able to grab the bicep. Anything that interferes with the success of the initial grab and the secondary grab will cause the grabbing technique to fail. If the first grab fails then the second grab cannot be done. If the second grab fails then the step around will fail.

It's fair enough to say that it's unlikely anyone is going to be able to reach out and grab you with those grips in the free movement phase of a fight. But if you end up in a clinch, there are a number of low risk entries to the position.

I could be wrong and missing something.

Indeed. I was mainly responding to your statement that no one would use a two hands on one grab in the real world.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

So as an instructor who has spent decades training and no telling how much of my own money to learn, I am now supposed to simply give it away out of the kindness of my heart?
Oh what the hell, come on over, as a matter of fact you can stay in my spare bedroom and eat out of my fridge...no charge of course.

Latest Discussions