Freeing yourself from being grabbed by the wrists?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What's your take on the stuff he does at 8:53?

Does this really work? It looks as if it's impossible for him to be grabbed by the wrist.

I am sceptical of this. Maybe he other guy simply doesn't have a tight enough grip.

If I for example grab my wrist with my other hand and try to turn it and free myself then I cannot do it.

----

How would you free yourself from such a grab? Is this officially taught in wing chun? I mean do they practice
scenarios like that?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's your take on the stuff he does at 8:53?

Does this really work? It looks as if it's impossible for him to be grabbed by the wrist.

I am sceptical of this. Maybe he other guy simply doesn't have a tight enough grip.

If I for example grab my wrist with my other hand and try to turn it and free myself then I cannot do it.

----

How would you free yourself from such a grab? Is this officially taught in wing chun? I mean do they practice
scenarios like that?
I will let you in on a secret. Forget this stuff. I like it for the directions of the escapes, or what ever, but the be thing to do is walk up to the grab, so that you take his arm on with your body, and or make him come in, and try to get your hand. This arm against arm stuff, is great if you are super strong, but I am more a lean mean fighting machine. Extra lean, actually. o_O

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for what happen at the 8:30 mark, of course that works. There is a whole world of disturbing people's balance against their weakest base of support; so, I have no problem with that counter.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
scenarios like that?
The only thing you have to keep in mind is that he wasn't showing the technique when the guy was holding on with 2 hands. The 2 hand hold was an exaggeration to drive home the point about the turning of the wrist. The technique is done when someone grabs your hand with one hand. In real world application if someone was stupid enough to grab my one arm with both his hands, then I would punch with my free hand. In real world application people will grab one arm with one hand.

The real world application of the technique is more like what Touch of Death pointed out at 8:30

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. There are a few different elements involved there.

One of the things is that you are putting your ability to release a grab against his ability to maintain one.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Stop doing that. You'll go blind.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In real world application if someone was stupid enough to grab my one arm with both his hands, then I would punch with my free hand.
IMO, the only time that your opponent uses both hands to grab your one arm is he tries to spin your body so he can move behind you as the wrestling "arm drag".

When your opponent use both hands to grab on your right arm, if you try to punch him with your left hand, he can guide your right arm toward your left (his right). This will cause your body to spin to your left. Since your left punch will require your body to spin to your right. His double arms dragging that cause your body to spin to your left can interrupt your left punch right at that moment.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Twist your arm against his thumb (1 finger).

And then? If I try this on myself then this doesn't free me from my grab.

Also if the other one has really strong arms and huge hands then I highly doubt that this works.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How would you free yourself from such a grab? Is this officially taught in wing chun?

Kick him in the balls. Yes, this is taught in WC and is sanctioned by the Mythical Gatekeepers of Real Wing Chun as handed down by the Original Snake and Crane Society
:D:D:D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Also if the other one has really strong arms and huge hands then I highly doubt that this works.
- Use your left hand to grab on your right wrist with both palms facing downward.
- Rotate your right arm inward toward your chest and up until your right palm is facing up.
- Move your right forearm (still with palm up) forward and away from your left hand.

Can you break your right arm from your own left hand grip? You are using your whole right arm strength to fight against your left "thumb" strength. I don't believe your left thumb can be that strong.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I rotate my right arm INward towards the chest then the palm faces DOWNward.

This move seems very unnatural to me. I'd usually try to turn my right wrist to the right side away from the chest.

Maybe I understand you wrong but this makes no sense to me.

In a real situation it would probably look this way:

My palm is vertical, thumb is up.

And then he grabs the wrist with his fingers being wrapped around it and his thumb is pointing downwards.

Now in which direction should I turn my wrist? I would try to turn it clockwise, which would be outwards.

Is there even a difference between turning it out or inwards? Does it only work when you turn it the right way?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For "thumb down" grip, you turn your arm "counter-clockwise".

correct_wrist_grip.png

For "thumb up" grip, you turn your arm "clockwise".

wrong_wrist_grip.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can't:
- put yourself off-balance
- break your own structure by conjunctive locking to the spine
- confuse your own muscles

Doing a technique on yourself is NOTHING like doing it on someone else. I routinely demonstrate similar releases using the biggest guy in the room (I'm about average size). They absolutely work, when used in appropriate situations.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I rotate my right arm INward towards the chest then the palm faces DOWNward.

This move seems very unnatural to me. I'd usually try to turn my right wrist to the right side away from the chest.

Maybe I understand you wrong but this makes no sense to me.

In a real situation it would probably look this way:

My palm is vertical, thumb is up.

And then he grabs the wrist with his fingers being wrapped around it and his thumb is pointing downwards.

Now in which direction should I turn my wrist? I would try to turn it clockwise, which would be outwards.

Is there even a difference between turning it out or inwards? Does it only work when you turn it the right way?
Each direction presents a different principle to be applied. Counter-clockwise, you can slip through the gap between thumb and forefinger. Clockwise, you bring his elbow lower, starting to restrict his movement by conjunctive locking, making his grip a bit weaker. If you use the inside technique on the outside, it will probably fail, and vice-versa.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the OP were to actually go and train somewhere rather than trying to teach himself from here ( and pepper spraying himself for fun) it might be more useful. Good people are spending time here trying to explain something you should be going out and learning from an instructor and paying for it! Trying to train for free by posting questions up here is a tad insulting to the kind people here who are answering.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So wether you turn IN or OUT depends on the grip of the attacker? Do I understand this right?

AND do you learn stuff like this in every wing chun school? Is this mandatory? Cause I want to learn stuff like that.

But I worry what if they simply don't teach stuff like that or think it's not important?

I also want to learn how to ground yourself and how to be able to "relax" and this way be able to punch harder.

I also want to learn how it works that you can take hits from people without being affected by them, by somehow transfering

the energy into the ground.

Have you all been taught these things?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Try to use your "common sense". Since your opponent's thumb (1 finger) is always weaker than the rest of his 4 fingers, to turn against his thumb (1 finger) is easier than to turn against his 4 fingers.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So wether you turn IN or OUT depends on the grip of the attacker? Do I understand this right?

AND do you learn stuff like this in every wing chun school? Is this mandatory? Cause I want to learn stuff like that.

But I worry what if they simply don't teach stuff like that or think it's not important?

I also want to learn how to ground yourself and how to be able to "relax" and this way be able to punch harder.

I also want to learn how it works that you can take hits from people without being affected by them, by somehow transfering

the energy into the ground.

Have you all been taught these things?
Actually, there's an "in" and an "out" for either grip, each having a different effect (so 4 combinations). No school will teach everything you need/want. Every school will teach more of it than what you're getting now.

EDIT: and the principles are certainly not unique to WC. Any art with any grappling component, at all, should be able to teach this stuff.

Latest Discussions