Free standing punch bags

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the description there, the pell is esssentially the same thing as either a heavy bag or something like a Wavemaster (not really a bag, but we call it such) - just designed to handle the types of impact it will receive. I'd think a heavy bag with a carpet wrap would be a good pell, with the bonus that you could remove the carpet for empty-hand work.

My only thought was that a Pell would permit a more realistic "feel". When I use the sticks I think the way my Guro has programmed me "sure we can fight with sticks but we are training to fight with swords." A heavy bag might be wide enough that I don't get deep enough into a slash/chop, to have what simulates (as close as I can get with impact) to a proper follow-through. I might be overthinking though, not like it would be the first time I did that around here lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only thought was that a Pell would permit a more realistic "feel". When I use the sticks I think the way my Guro has programmed me "sure we can fight with sticks but we are training to fight with swords." A heavy bag might be wide enough that I don't get deep enough into a slash/chop, to have what simulates (as close as I can get with impact) to a proper follow-through. I might be overthinking though, not like it would be the first time I did that around here lol
If you're referring to the base of a free-standing bag, I'd agree. Even the XXL folks referred to makes me change my entry on short-range strikes. The frame the guy shows for the pell might be a good answer to that. If I were using it indoors, I'd be tempted to use a piece of heavy plywood as the center of the base (maybe laying carpet over it) so I wouldn't have to dodge pipes.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're referring to the base of a free-standing bag, I'd agree. Even the XXL folks referred to makes me change my entry on short-range strikes. The frame the guy shows for the pell might be a good answer to that. If I were using it indoors, I'd be tempted to use a piece of heavy plywood as the center of the base (maybe laying carpet over it) so I wouldn't have to dodge pipes.

It's more about the motion of the stick blade. Heavy bag is thicker, so the blade travels a shorter distance from the apex. Now of course a stick will not cut through flesh, I expect that, however one of my biggest headaches when I started with FMA was not "pointing" the stick like a sword in a slash. I was swinging it like you would a baton expecting to "stop" on meeting the target. Don't want to retrain a bad habit so to speak.

I would probably use both. The Pell to keep my "sword" form and the heavy bag (with cover) for Corto work that involves other types of strikes, and of course without the cover for WC.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with a "pell", and Google is no help. Can you point me to a pic of one?

Think of it as a type of makiwara. Take a couple 2x4's or a 4x4 or something similar. Bury it a few feet in the ground. Not beat the crap out of it.

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
how much space do you realistically need for a heavy bag? I am also wondering about the same thing, and may get a standing one because i do not have enough space.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
how much space do you realistically need for a heavy bag? I am also wondering about the same thing, and may get a standing one because i do not have enough space.
If you have a wall bracket for mounting you don't need much space but if you want to have it freestanding it will require more room.

This is my setup at home:
12799031_972056066215958_4310580217189729769_n.jpg

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have a wall bracket for mounting you don't need much space but if you want to have it freestanding it will require more room.

This is my setup at home:
View attachment 20077

The only reason I prefer free standing ones like those mentioned previously is that you can't move "around" the bag with wall mounts or the one in your photo. That is my biggest debate atm. Get a free standing one and have it in the finished part of my basement with the rest of the workout gear or get a hanging bang I mount in the furnace room.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
2 - No idea. It's certainly not something he's intended for... How well do other conventional heavy bags hold up to stick strikes? I'd guess that's how well he will hold up....

We use our regular BOB to practice strikes with a bo or short stick occasionally and it doesn't seem to cause any damage, for whatever that's worth. But it's not something we do very often, and the weapons we're using are rattan or pine. A hardwood stick used multiple times a week might tear it up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use our regular BOB to practice strikes with a bo or short stick occasionally and it doesn't seem to cause any damage, for whatever that's worth. But it's not something we do very often, and the weapons we're using are rattan or pine. A hardwood stick used multiple times a week might tear it up.
Yeah, if I were going to hit it more often, I'd take the time to create a fitted cover for it, to provide just enough cushion to minimize damage. Of course, it'd be easier to do hard hits on somethiing else (heavy bag with cover, etc.) and reserve BOB for light targeting strikes and occasional speed drills.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only reason I prefer free standing ones like those mentioned previously is that you can't move "around" the bag with wall mounts or the one in your photo. That is my biggest debate atm. Get a free standing one and have it in the finished part of my basement with the rest of the workout gear or get a hanging bang I mount in the furnace room.
Another option is a ceiling mount you just screw into a wooden beam, it is basically just a hook on a swivel that fits into the palm of your hand. That would be easy to move if you don't mine leaving holes in the ceiling.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another option is a ceiling mount you just screw into a wooden beam, it is basically just a hook on a swivel that fits into the palm of your hand. That would be easy to move if you don't mine leaving holes in the ceiling.

How easy is it to hold up a 100 lb bag with one arm and attach/detach the loop to the hook that's 8ft in the air with the other arm?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's why the furnace room... No holes ;)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How easy is it to hold up a 100 lb bag with one arm and attach/detach the loop to the hook that's 8ft in the air with the other arm?

I put up and take down 120lbs bags solo quite regular at a height above what I can reach, just find something to put it on while you hook it up. Ours are 6' bags, so a chair or stool works. If they have to go higher something else at that height.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If doing this at home in your basement be ready to shake the house a little. A high strength spring in the middle might help, something like this: TITLE BOXING HEAVY BAG SPRING (UP TO 70 LBS) - TITLE Boxing

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just found my old thread here lol and I did get a free standing one its a golds gym one and I filled it with water took hours to do that and still didn't fill it up completely but it's heavy enough and the base doesn't move when I hit or kick it with pretty decent power and its easy enough to move around and it only cost £99 so got a good deal

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I just made a free standing tire dummy for weapon work, which is actually not bad for a make shift heavy bag Just finished project.

That said it doesn't really permit me to move around it due to the frame's structure so eventually I will probably end up getting one with a base I can fill with water.

Latest Discussions