Free standing punch bags

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I was looking into getting a free standing punch bag what're opinions on them? I know a heavy bag is better but I have no place for it I do have a kicking shield and focus mitts my dad used to hold for me when I first started but he works a lot and is getting old so I can't really do that anymore. I've seen reviews on amazon saying most are pretty rubbish and fall over easily but I'm not sure it's people using it to genuinely so what do others think?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use BOB and the Wavemaster. BOB is more consistent with what striking a human body feels like, plus has anatomical targets. That makes him better for more advanced students who have already done a fair bit of conditioning of their hands/feet/etc.
The Wavemaster is softer, and thus more appropriate for beginner students.
With the base filled with water or sand, both weigh upwards of 300lbs, with virtually all the weight in the base.
If they fall over easily, you're probably pushing rather than striking.
They're not perfect for all people and all situations, but they're absolutely not rubbish, and are a good choice for many people.
I have a BOB at home, even.

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have SMAI branded bag, similar to the wavemaster, and it's in the garage so sits on semi polished concrete. I've never come close to knocking it over. As dirty dog says, if you are knocking it over or moving it a lot you are probably pushing rather than striking it. Same with excess movement, it might move as couple of inches but not a lot, and every 2-3 workouts I just go round the other side of it and do a minutes flurry of punches to move it back to where it was. It will rock a bit so noise could be an issue, and the striking noise isn't quiet either. It's also soft like pads rather than like a heavy bag, so if you want to condition your shins, it won't help there.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've hit most of the Wavemasters - standard, powerline and XXL. The XXL is easily the best of the bunch to hit IMO. The base doesn't get in the way like the others, it has a big enough striking surface where you can throw combinations such as knee or even calf height kicks and face punches. The one with the dots is better than without them, as it gives you some good targets to hit and visual feedback if you missed.

They'll rock around a bit if you fill them with water. Fill them completely with sand, and you shouldn't have many issues.

The only issue I had with an XXL was the bag kept turning, therefore unscrewing from the base (the others don't do this). Not a big deal though.

I owned the BOB. It was pretty good, but I rather have an XXL. You can't do below the waist strikes such as thigh kicks with it (there are bigger BOBs, I haven't seen them in person). And the size of the base takes some getting used to, as do the non-XXL Wavemasters.

I think the BOB and XXL are great. But I also think they're just different tools. I can tee off on an XXL, whereas the BOB isn't as much of a power building bag, nor a full body strikes combos bag. But the BOB is far better when it comes to hooks, uppercuts, and things of that nature.

Most chain sporting goods stores have them on display, albeit without the bases being filled.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I owned the BOB. It was pretty good, but I rather have an XXL. You can't do below the waist strikes such as thigh kicks with it (there are bigger BOBs, I haven't seen them in person). And the size of the base takes some getting used to, as do the non-XXL Wavemasters.

Sure you can.
Versys VS.BOB
Or
BOB Jacket

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I was looking into getting a free standing punch bag what're opinions on them? I know a heavy bag is better but I have no place for it I do have a kicking shield and focus mitts my dad used to hold for me when I first started but he works a lot and is getting old so I can't really do that anymore. I've seen reviews on amazon saying most are pretty rubbish and fall over easily but I'm not sure it's people using it to genuinely so what do others think?
Usually free standers are equipped with heavy bases, so if you're knocking one over, you're likely pushing or you bought one that was too light. I've tried one, they're great for technique since they don't move although they are less versatile (movement drills, strikes to advancing bag, punching bag suspension death workout - when, only using punches, you try to keep a heavy bag in the air).

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The XXL is really good, though they're a good bit more expensive than the regular Wavemaster. At some point when we're in the market for new bags, I'd like to grab a couple of those, and also the Bob XL (the one that's got shorts on, so you can do hip/groin/thigh-level strikes).

Like others hanve said, these kind of bags, if you put enough water or sand in the base, shouldn't be easy to knock over.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the discussion on this thread. I'd love to pick up a BOB someday for my students. If I can ever get done spending money on mats...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the discussion on this thread. I'd love to pick up a BOB someday for my students. If I can ever get done spending money on mats...

Mats are really pretty pricey. Where are you getting yours?
We got some 1.5" thick grappling puzzle mats. Each square is (I think) 4'x4' and it cost us about $1000 to get a 16'x16' area covered (4 squares per side...).
I like them, in that they're thick enough to toss people around on with reasonable safety, and they're wearing reasonably well too.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thing is I'm not exactly rolling in money either so I can't get anything that's over 300 the most I'd be willing to spend is maybe 250 otherwise I simply can't afford it

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mats are really pretty pricey. Where are you getting yours?
We got some 1.5" thick grappling puzzle mats. Each square is (I think) 4'x4' and it cost us about $1000 to get a 16'x16' area covered (4 squares per side...).
I like them, in that they're thick enough to toss people around on with reasonable safety, and they're wearing reasonably well too.
I started with nothing but a ratty (very) old gymnastics mat and my 15-year-old Swain home mat (8x8, 1 3/8"). Not nearly enough room, and not enough income from the program to get any of the good mats. I found some 2" 4x8 mats on Amazon (5th Season). They are cheap crap, but I could afford to buy enough of them over a few months to get a reasonable training space for my students. Unfortunately, one of them is already failing at the seams, maybe 6 months in. I'm just hoping they'll hold out long enough to be able to save up for some real mats, and maybe to be on-call for demonstrations and seminars.

What mats did you get? That's not a bad price on them, though they're a bit thin for new students. Part of my limitation is that I'm in a space I don't control. I can't leave mats down, so speed of installation and removal is vital, so things like puzzle mats seem impractical. For now, I think I'm pretty much stuck with Velcro joinery as my best option.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is I'm not exactly rolling in money either so I can't get anything that's over 300 the most I'd be willing to spend is maybe 250 otherwise I simply can't afford it
I see various BOBs posted on CraigsList (if you're in the US - not sure if they exist elsewhere) on a regular basis for around $250. I just missed out on one that was sold for $75 because I wasn't in town when he posted it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We ordered ours from HERE. And I agree, the price was not at all bad. We teach MDK TKD, so throws and such are a relatively small part of the program, which makes the 1 5/8 mats workable.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Wavemaster XXLs are about $300. Not cheap at all, but IMO easily worth the extra money over the other Wavemasters. You'd be far better off saving for another few months to get the right one.

Regardless of all of that and everything else that's been said, bags are a very personal thing. Some people love some bags while others hate them. How much you'll like a bag is dependent on how it feels to you. All I can objectively tell you is the XXL has a base that's lower in profile than the other Wavemasters and the striking surface is significantly larger. I could tell you it feels better than the others, but others will refute that.

Again, most chain stores have them on display, at least a standard Wavemaster and a BOB. Get a sense for how they feel. But again, they most likely won't be filled properly. If you like one, but it. You can usually return them within 30 days at chain stores if you don't like it once you get it home and actually use it a few times.

Or after you've checked them out at a chain store, you could look to Craigslist. Wavemasters come up pretty often around me for pretty cheap. Haven't seen many XXLs though.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Wavemaster XXLs are about $300. Not cheap at all, but IMO easily worth the extra money over the other Wavemasters. You'd be far better off saving for another few months to get the right one.

Regardless of all of that and everything else that's been said, bags are a very personal thing. Some people love some bags while others hate them. How much you'll like a bag is dependent on how it feels to you. All I can objectively tell you is the XXL has a base that's lower in profile than the other Wavemasters and the striking surface is significantly larger. I could tell you it feels better than the others, but others will refute that.

Again, most chain stores have them on display, at least a standard Wavemaster and a BOB. Get a sense for how they feel. But again, they most likely won't be filled properly. If you like one, but it. You can usually return them within 30 days at chain stores if you don't like it once you get it home and actually use it a few times.

Or after you've checked them out at a chain store, you could look to Craigslist. Wavemasters come up pretty often around me for pretty cheap. Haven't seen many XXLs though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We ordered ours from HERE. And I agree, the price was not at all bad. We teach MDK TKD, so throws and such are a relatively small part of the program, which makes the 1 5/8 mats workable.
Ah, I'm a fan of Zebra mats. I'll keep those puzzle mats in mind as a top layer when I have space I can leave them in. Thanks!

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use BOB and the Wavemaster. BOB is more consistent with what striking a human body feels like, plus has anatomical targets. That makes him better for more advanced students who have already done a fair bit of conditioning of their hands/feet/etc.
The Wavemaster is softer, and thus more appropriate for beginner students.
With the base filled with water or sand, both weigh upwards of 300lbs, with virtually all the weight in the base.
If they fall over easily, you're probably pushing rather than striking.
They're not perfect for all people and all situations, but they're absolutely not rubbish, and are a good choice for many people.
I have a BOB at home, even.

I like BOB and agree with everything you have said and may eventually get one but I was planning on this first because I also want to practice kicking techniques, including low kicks.

Century XXL Wavemaster | DICK'S Sporting Goods

The main reason I said may get Bob is because I might get something from Wooden Dummies first. A PVC body though, (I know heretic!!!!!) I simply don't have the money for a quality all wood one.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I'm a fan of Zebra mats. I'll keep those puzzle mats in mind as a top layer when I have space I can leave them in. Thanks!

You do not need to leave them down... we do not. If the lesson plan calls for them, we put them down before class and pull them up afterwards. It really doesn't take long.

I like BOB and agree with everything you have said and may eventually get one but I was planning on this first because I also want to practice kicking techniques, including low kicks.

Century XXL Wavemaster | DICK'S Sporting Goods

The main reason I said may get Bob is because I might get something from Wooden Dummies first. A PVC body though, (I know heretic!!!!!) I simply don't have the money for a quality all wood one.

I do not understand... why would you think you cannot practice kicking, including low kicks, on BOB?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
You do not need to leave them down... we do not. If the lesson plan calls for them, we put them down before class and pull them up afterwards. It really doesn't take long.

I do not understand... why would you think you cannot practice kicking, including low kicks, on BOB?

Well I like doing things dynamically. At least the Bobs I have seen wouldn't work for say striking in the upper body while allowing for kicks between the calf and thigh in "sequence", for lack of of a better term.

I have seen Bobs with an upper thigh area but not lower than that. That is why Bob is an eventual purchase, I am just kinda prioritizing. I should also note that when I do these things at the gym (outside of class) it's not just about technique, it's also about a work out. Full body technique (though not as exact) + full body work out just seems a priority over primarily technique. So I will get a Bob eventually, likely before the end of the year actually (to my wifes frustration ;) ) since I just paid off my car (at only 65k miles for a Subaru that are tanks) and have 300 free bucks a month to spend lol.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions